Modular vs. Mobile Homes - Posted by David Pitts

Posted by JD on February 25, 2000 at 22:05:43:

I am not sure what you mean by ‘resale rate’. To me a Modular Home is just another type of SFR, like an Adobe or a Ranch or a Log Home etc… Modulars typically require more long term maintenence than stick built, dont have attached garages, and dont have as much character. Fraction of the cost?, I dont think so, unless you mean 80%-90%.

Modular vs. Mobile Homes - Posted by David Pitts

Posted by David Pitts on February 24, 2000 at 18:01:26:

Can anybody explain to me the difference between a modular
home and a mobile home? What are the differences in construction and can a modular be financed like a stick built home?

Now That We’re on this subject… - Posted by DJ (Maryland)

Posted by DJ (Maryland) on February 25, 2000 at 09:12:57:

What is your (Anyone), opinion on investing in Modulars over SFH? Do you feel that the resale rate will fall for Modulars or increase? I have seen a steady increase of modulars, They seem to be accepted almost like stick built, for a fraction of the cost.

Thank You in advance…

DJ

Re: Modular vs. Mobile Homes - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on February 24, 2000 at 22:28:42:

David and Mike provided some good technical diferences between a Modulars and Mobiles. From an aestectic viewpoint I would describe Modulars as having pitched, shingled roofs (5 in 12), facias, sofits, wood siding, more windows, larger rooms. Mobiles typically have non of these features. But I think most important is that Modulars are almost always assembled double wide. Mobiles are rarely assembled double wide. Of course there are exceptions.

Re: Modular vs. Mobile Homes - Posted by MIke Whaley

Posted by MIke Whaley on February 24, 2000 at 20:05:28:

The main difference is the code in which the homes are
built to meet. A mobile is built to a hud code which is a federal mandated building code. Modulars are built to more of a local code which is set forth by the state or local governments. Modulars can either have a off frame construction or on frame construction depending upon the specific house. Another difference between the two is that unlike Mobile Homes Modulars do not have titles. In NC a Mobile Home receives a title from the DMV just like a car. Because of this modulars in my area or always connected to land and are never placed on rented land. As far as financing, I finance modulars and mobiles just like site built homes all the time. I work at a Schult Homes dealer,but I have found that mortgage companies often apply the same programs to all types of homes.

Modular and Mobile - Posted by David

Posted by David on February 24, 2000 at 18:19:37:

1. mobiles can be single wide or double wide and are built to FHA/HUD standards. They are built on steel frames and have wheels and axles usually attached, though they can be removed after road travel is done.
  2. modulars are built to BOCA standards, have wood frames and no wheels and axles. They are transported on flat bed trucks or trailers. A two story house can be a modular in 4 pieces. Even apartment building can be made of modular parts. Fiancing is same as stick built, unlike mobile financing.
    Hope this helps,
    David