Mold everywhere!? - Posted by KhadijaOH

Posted by Lee on February 27, 2002 at 14:15:26:

Be very careful. Some mold is vey bad for your health and very expensive to clean.

Mold everywhere!? - Posted by KhadijaOH

Posted by KhadijaOH on February 27, 2002 at 13:58:54:

Could someone please enlighten me as to some causes of mold on a 10 year old home. The mold is in a semi-wet unfinished basement and all on the outside rear of the house. The house is priced way below market and would like to make offer if the mold isn’t a major health and cost issue. Please advise. Thankx

Re: Mold everywhere!? - Posted by KhadijaOH

Posted by KhadijaOH on February 28, 2002 at 07:54:13:

Thanks everyone for the feedback and referrals to website for more info. Peace.

I would NOT buy… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on February 27, 2002 at 18:13:45:

the EPA.GOV site has infor on mold as well as CDC.

There are mold abatement contractors, they wear plastic suit and resperators to remove from the house ALL porous surfaces and the mold is not only on the surface but also in the pours of porous materials. That means that all the drywall, carpet, wood, and insulation is removed from the house. They will even take the wooden windows sash and frames and all the doors. What you will have left is a shell which they will treat with chemicals and will give you a guarentee. Then you can rebuild the house. In most cases it is not worth it. RUN don’t walk away. Even after abatement you will be liable for possible litigation from any future owner or renter, for as long as you live!

David Krulac

PS also check the archives here.

Re: Mold everywhere!? - Posted by Dee-Texas

Posted by Dee-Texas on February 27, 2002 at 17:19:29:

Here in Texas it’s one of those words that brings up horror stories from landlords. Tenants are suing landlords in record numbers and winning OR causing the landlord to have to fix an unfixable problem at this time.
If a house has a mold problem some insurances will cover and try to correct the problem. Very, Very expensive and can’t guarantee 100% that it won’t come back. So many of these houses are sitting condemed by the insurance company.
Now do you think another insurance company will insure this house? NO…and do you think a bank will offer a loan without insurance?..NO.
If you can bypass both of the above problems with a house with mold…it’s unlikely that a person knowing about the mold will live there.
There are three kinds of toxic molds… Jim Rayner gave you a site to check out.
It will die down I think in a while but not before the lawyers have their day with it.
I wish there was a cure for it, I’ve had houses almost given to me…I don’t want someone elses problem that might be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
To many good houses to deal with.
My opinion,

Re: Mold everywhere!? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on February 27, 2002 at 16:10:51:

I have had a few houses with mold

The first step is to stop the dampness this can be done in one of three ways.

Some houses dont have a drain tile system if it does not install one it cost about $2500 get a basement contractor to do it

Next if the house is older the about 10years or so most likley the outside of the fondation was not coated with a tar like coating and covered with plastic this can be done agin by a basement or water proofing contractor and depnding how deep the foundation is in the ground this could cost up 10 grand

And lastly if it is only minor dampness home depot sells a waterproofing paint ( very thick) that seals the walls. But first you must completely dry the basement with a turbo heater. you can also kill any new mold by adding a mold agent to the paint home depot as well.

To kill the existing mold i have used with great success a product called “jobes” it is for killing mold on siding and is for outdoor use But i use it inside and just were a mask and ventalate the area very well. This stuff gets mixed with bleach and is used to scrub the mold down and hose it off. It is very strong and everytime i have ever used it mold has never returned.


Re: A must read web site on mold - Posted by Jim Rayner

Posted by Jim Rayner on February 27, 2002 at 14:38:10:

Re: Mold everywhere!? - Posted by Nate(DC)

Posted by Nate(DC) on February 27, 2002 at 14:20:26:

The key is that word “semi-wet”. Mold needs moisture to grow. If you can find and eliminate the cause of the moisture, you will eliminate the mold.

As to how you do that, I can’t diagnose over the internet. There are all kinds of reasons a basement could be damp. There could be cracks in the foundation to allow water through. Maybe there is ground water. Inadequate grading around the house. Poor drainage. Basly compacted soil around the foundation. Could be any or more than one of those.

My guess is if it’s on the outside as well the water is probably coming from the rear.

You might want to have a contractor look at it and give you some idea of what is wrong and how to fix it.

Good luck,