Moldy House please help - Posted by Vince L

Posted by Bo (GA) on January 19, 1999 at 13:11:29:

If you pressure wash the house, make sure you have the house retreated aginst termites, as the pressure wash solution negates the anti-termite chemicals.

Bo (GA)

Moldy House please help - Posted by Vince L

Posted by Vince L on January 19, 1999 at 24:27:40:

I will be placing a home under contract in the next few days that has a big problem with mold on the T-111 siding. The paint and wood seems to be in good shape. How can I remove the ugly green mold without and damage to the paint or wood? Please if you can help I would be most greatful. I want this deal so I can make it to Dallas.
Thanks
Vince L

Re: Moldy House please help - Posted by JLWright

Posted by JLWright on January 19, 1999 at 12:04:39:

VinceL,

Try this (I have, and it works great)mix bleach (cheap stuff works good) and water 50/50 in a garden sprayer like you would use to spray insects. Spray the mixture on tp wet the surface, let it set (or oooz off)for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off with garden hose with consentrating nozzel. Becareful of where the run-off will go. If it is two story, watch out spraying overhead without eye protection.

This procedure won’t require any “elbow grease” and doesn’t have the inherent problems with powersprayers.

Jim.

Re: Moldy House please help - Posted by BRnBA

Posted by BRnBA on January 19, 1999 at 06:28:14:

Vince, I would pressure wash it off but I would also want to know what is causing the problem. Is it wood floor or slab? Is the siding touching the dirt? etc…

Re: Moldy House please help - Posted by Doris - Va.

Posted by Doris - Va. on January 19, 1999 at 07:30:57:

Use a mixture of water and chlorine bleach in your pressure wash. But - also look for cause. Moisture behind the siding??? Check for roof leaks. Too many overhanging trees? Not enough sunlight? Shrubbery too close - vines on the siding??? Gutters not draining properly??? Condition of paint can be a clue also. Is it insulated at all??

Just a few things that come to mind. Hope it helps.

Good luck. Doris

Re: Moldy House please help - Posted by Vince L

Posted by Vince L on January 19, 1999 at 12:20:40:

Thanks everyone for your response to my question.
The reason the place is moldy on the outside is I live is a very wet climate. Living close to the coast in Oregon we don’t tan it the summer we either mold or rust. Once again thanks
Vince L