Most mispronounced word -- "Realtor" - Posted by gerald(tx)

Posted by Jeanne on July 18, 2003 at 12:38:32:

Is it possesive or plural?

Most mispronounced word – “Realtor” - Posted by gerald(tx)

Posted by gerald(tx) on July 16, 2003 at 16:48:59:

I encounter this nearly every day. It has got to be the most mispronounced word in the English language. I’m sure at least 75% or more say “Rel a tor”, instead of “Real tor”.

You can tell I don’t have enough to do when something like this bothers me.

Common Errors in English - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 18, 2003 at 12:04:16:

Here’s a site that I think is interesting. Go to:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Irregardless I understand what they mean - Posted by Shawn J. Dostie

Posted by Shawn J. Dostie on July 17, 2003 at 15:49:45:

NT

another mis-used word would be… - Posted by nigel(oh)

Posted by nigel(oh) on July 17, 2003 at 12:05:36:

acronym. NASA, SCUBA, MAD, and NOW are all acronyms. but USA, CIA, CPU, NFL, MLB, DOA, and AT&T are not acronyms… they’re initials!

While you are at it, - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on July 17, 2003 at 08:40:38:

Where would “your” vs “you’re” and “sell” vs “sale” appear on your top ten list of misused or misprounounced words?

Most mis-USED, too - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on July 17, 2003 at 07:36:40:

People always refer to their agent as a “Realtor.” Not all agents are Realtors. The following is from the REALTOR.org web site:

When Is a Real Estate Agent a REALTOR®?

A real estate agent is a REALTOR® when he or she becomes a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS®, The Voice for Real Estate®, the world’s largest professional association. The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.

“principle” VS principal… n/t - Posted by nigel(oh)

Posted by nigel(oh) on July 16, 2003 at 22:31:19:

n/t

Most mis-used word as well - Posted by SuperCat (Il, KY)

Posted by SuperCat (Il, KY) on July 16, 2003 at 21:53:00:

Most people, (even on here) use it when they should use real estate agent. The state does not license realtors. Not every real estate agent is a realtor. In my town only one office has realtors and there is not a MLS. They just pass around “dittos” from office to office. In fact they had a feud when the one did become realtors and they wouldn’t let the realtors show the non-realtors listigns and vice versa, but they started workign together again.

OR mischievous, aka mis CHEEV’ ious - Posted by sydel - FL

Posted by sydel - FL on July 16, 2003 at 21:17:24:

I try not to fall in a crumpled heap and cry when I hear ir.

I thought it was re-litter (nt) - Posted by John (LV)

Posted by John (LV) on July 16, 2003 at 20:01:37:

nt

“NUCLEAR” would give it a run… - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on July 16, 2003 at 19:45:56:

Ask President Bush.

most missplelled too. It’s realtor. - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on July 16, 2003 at 19:14:19:

I refuse to capitalize it. I refuse to capitalize a title that took someone two weeks of evening classes at a community college to get. It’s really big on a starburst on all my flyers. “I am not a realtor!” with no copyright symbol, but a copyright on my logo. My realtor actually looked into it, for real, and said if you don’t capitalize it, you don’t need the copyright either. They hate that too; and that’s really too bad. Like calling a doctor “Sir”, they really don’t like it.

Sorry, doctors had to be smart to get the title.

Ohh, no offense to any agents reading this.

Re: Most mispronounced word – “Realtor” - Posted by Jasonrei

Posted by Jasonrei on July 16, 2003 at 19:05:54:

I’ve noticed that, too. What’s really bad is when a realtor actually says “reelator”.

Re: Most mispronounced word – - Posted by KP

Posted by KP on July 16, 2003 at 16:58:13:

I recall (or at least I think i do) that there was a time before Realtor was copywrited (is that a word?) that agencies went by ‘reality’. I remember asking when I was a kid what the difference was between a realtor and a reality (not like the Reality TV). It may be a product of poor memory but this may be the reason you are finding this mispronounciation.

Re: Most mispronounced word – “Realtor” - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on July 16, 2003 at 16:57:35:

I think 2nd place goes to the word “idea.” I even educated people pronouce it “idear” or “ideal.”

Re: Irregardless I understand what they mean - Posted by English Major

Posted by English Major on July 17, 2003 at 21:59:30:

“Irregardless” – There’s a nice double negative. I believe you mean “Regardless” since Irregardless is considered nonstandard and is ONLY acceptable when the intent is CLEARLY humorous.

So it’s not very unique? - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 17, 2003 at 16:22:40:

LOL. In case you don’t get it “unique” means the only one there is.

Something can’t be VERY unique. It’s either unique or it’s not. Anyone who says “very unique” is a boob.

Re: Most mis-USED, too - Posted by Tim (CT)

Posted by Tim (CT) on July 17, 2003 at 12:26:16:

Why wouldn’t a Real Estate Agent become a Realtor? In the sense you just described it seems as though a Real Estate Agent that’s not a Realtor is no different than a Real Estate Investor (outside of the fact they they have a license).

Bad computer - “when I hear IT” - Posted by sydel - FL

Posted by sydel - FL on July 16, 2003 at 21:25:59:

NT