Motivated Seller asking Too Much - NEED QUICK HELP! - Posted by Tony_PA

Posted by msboston on January 25, 2000 at 03:05:08:

Tony:

I am a novice with cre, however, from everything I’ve seen on the board, it doesn’t seem to be a sound investment. You have a problem with the numbers. Don’t try to force it! Be careful. You’re dealing with a pro.
Good luck.
msboston

Motivated Seller asking Too Much - NEED QUICK HELP! - Posted by Tony_PA

Posted by Tony_PA on January 23, 2000 at 22:13:00:

I am sitting with a motivated seller on 4 seperately deeded properties, but after doing the cash flow analysis, there is a -10,000 with 2 of them. By the way, these are 2 duplex’s with each side deeded seperately-so there are two buildings. It is the one building that has the negative cash flow. The other one breaks even or better. So my biggest concern is how to turn this negative into a POSITIVE!

How can I figure out the value of the properties based on income? The comps and appraisal all check out for asking price. Rents are below market value and seller has even offered to pay an adjustment to the rents for the 1st year to get the income up. Even at the gauranteed “proposed” rents, there is still -7000 cash flow on these two units.

Here’s the breakout

Asking price for each $69,900
Annual (actual) gross on each - $4800 / $5400
Total Expenses on each - $2100 / 2700

Sellers agree to an 80/25 (extra 5 to help closing)broken out for each or the two properties as follows:

1st 55,920 @ 9.75 - 30 years
2nd 17,725 @ 7 - 25 years
Note 10,000 @ 7.75 - interest only with balloon at 7years (needed from another deal)

I do not feel that the income supports asking price and think the only thing to do is to offer a lower price. The seller IS MOTIVATED! I am checking with the courthouse tomorrow to get last sale price.

The seller is another investor. By the way, this is my second deal I am working on, so I am still new at this and the seller is a seasoned investor with 14+ years of real estate investing, but is opened minded and willing to listen.

Thanks for suggestions!

Re: Motivated Seller asking Too Much - NEED QUICK HELP! - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on January 24, 2000 at 11:14:08:

Tony,

the moment you sign your first contract up with a truly motivated seller you’ll know motivation. Sometimes it want always be readily apparent but you’ll realize as your asking questions, listening and putting a deal together.

The deal of the decade is around the corner, and there will be another right after that one.

David Alexander

David Alexander

Re: Motivated Seller asking Too Much - NEED QUICK HELP! - Posted by Judy

Posted by Judy on January 24, 2000 at 08:16:00:

If he’s asking too much and not willing to come down, then he’s not motivated enough for your needs.

Good Luck

Re: Motivated Seller asking Too Much - NEED QUICK HELP! - Posted by John P S.FL

Posted by John P S.FL on January 23, 2000 at 23:44:27:

Tony,
if the numbers do not work then its not a fit, I would pass on the deal. The seller/investor knows what he is doing so I would be careful so you do not get yourself in trouble.

John P.