Motivation Presistance - Posted by Warren

Posted by Warren on November 12, 1998 at 10:26:38:

Thank you all for your responses.

Motivation Presistance - Posted by Warren

Posted by Warren on November 11, 1998 at 14:43:03:

I was curious on how all you experienced investors keep
motivated to persist in finding the great deals. It
seems in my experience it is a real numbers game to find the good deals. It seems to me persistance is the real key to real estate sucess.

Warren.

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on November 12, 1998 at 17:36:18:

Failure is God’s glorious gift to man of the opportunity to get to know himself.

Epictetus

Well… actually Epectetus said that about Adversity-- but, Hey! Same Thing.

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Bill Barnes

Posted by Bill Barnes on November 12, 1998 at 11:08:01:

Here’s a quote I keep on my dest at work.

" If we do not change direction, we will end up were we are headed "
Lao Tsu

Good Luck

Bill

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Tim Pannabecker

Posted by Tim Pannabecker on November 12, 1998 at 07:52:40:

Warren,

One of the most satisfying choices I have made in my life is when I deceided to follow my passion. I enjoy inspecting homes, talking/negociating with sellers, planning the logistics (rehab, materials, how to buy & sell, financing, etc.), whether to buy/hold/lease op. I like to buy an ugle house that no one would live in and make it attractive and livable. I look forward to REI club meetings so that I can talk to my investor friends and learn more. I get great satisfaction helping a family get into a house, that they call home, when they thought that they could not. Like the song goes “these are a few of my favorate things”.
The point is that if you follow your passion you will have the foundation to weather down times and feel that you have a meaningful purpose to your work life.

Crazy thoughts early in the morning,

Tim

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on November 12, 1998 at 05:35:16:

Here’s a better question, Warren. How does one keep motivated to persist in getting up each morning, driving off to a remote office/store/whatever, to make someone else the big bucks while taking home a paycheck with just enough to pay the bills? Here’s another one. How does someone keep motivated to persist in going to the store every day, handing over $1-$50 for lottery tickets, and losing day after day? How many lottery millionaires are there compared to real estate millionaires? So why not take that same slice of time/money to “play” the RIGHT “numbers game”?
How about financial freedom for motivation? How about escape from having to produce for someone else who sees you only as a piece of machinery? How about each “great deal” getting you closer to your financial/life goals? How about each day at “work” is another step AWAY from these goals? How about realization of your dreams that you are dreaming about when you sit at that desk, stand at that counter, work on that manufacturing floor, or drive to or from work? How about having the ability to control your own life instead of a boss interested only in how much work he can squeeze out of you before you decide to pack your AK-47 instead of a sandwich for lunch? (Oops, starting to get a little carried away now.)
So what I want to know is what motivates people to not find the deals?

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 11, 1998 at 21:59:49:

I won’t call myself an experienced investor. But what keeps me constantly motivated is the alternative to not looking for deals. I don’t want to be punching a time clock 50 hrs. a week, leaving my family 5 days a week, driving in gridlock, always struggling to make it through the month without running out of money. I also try to give a specified amount of my earnings to my church and selected charities. If that isn’t motivation enough, then keep punching that time clock and maybe when you turn 65 they will give you a broken watch and a dead turkey.

Don’t give up. 99% of the people out there will never own any other real estate besides the home they live in.

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on November 11, 1998 at 16:57:41:

Warren,

You’re right. Persistance is the number one key to being successful as a real estate investor.

You raise an important question. How do we stay motivated. It’s kind of a push pull type of thing. By giving newer people advice on a subject I might know about, they go out and start doing deals. In return old investors like myself get motivated by the new guys successs.

Good examples of this is with the Steve Cookes Scott Smiths and Jim Mullins. I get much more motivation from them and it pushes me.

Quick Answer?? Fear, Doubt, and… - Posted by Soapymac

Posted by Soapymac on November 12, 1998 at 07:33:48:

worry.

FEAR (False Evidence Appearing Real) that causes…

Doubt (that I’ll ever be anything than what I am right now) so, therefore, I’ll just…

Worry that if I vote right…and act right…and stay in this bucket with the rest of my crabby friends…that someone else will take care of me.

I’ll go a little stronger than one of the comments I read this morning. 99% of the people in the US will never own more real estate than what they are living in right now…because they are “wusses” who are afraid to fail. So they don’t try.

Praise God that those who read this board are NOT afraid to fail!

Soapymac

Re: Motivation Presistance - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on November 12, 1998 at 07:37:26:

I agree… I have been investing for 10 years and had grown stagnant. I have been re-juvinated here at this site !

Thanks EVERYONE ! I “almost” feel like I should send you all a commission ! (NOT!) hehehe

Laure

Re: Quick Answer?? Fear, Doubt, and… - Posted by Doris - VA

Posted by Doris - VA on November 14, 1998 at 22:11:24:

Yes!! All that and more. Especially your family members and your friends. You have to wall yourself in and turn to the great people on this site. It is the one place you can get support - help - and motivation for not giving up. Doris