Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by Jane

Posted by keith hutson on July 30, 2003 at 22:35:04:

I agree that one needs to come to this site regularly as there are many seasoned investors who are willing to share their knowledge. I also recommend William Bronchick’s books. They are “to the point” and you don’t have to dig to get to the meat and potatoes.

KHutson

Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by Jane

Posted by Jane on July 29, 2003 at 17:43:53:

My goodness - I was told to go to the clubs to network,
but man there is so much crap going on and back stabbing
it’s unbelieveable!!! I have a thick skin, it’s just
a shame, when I see others talk about the nice things
that happen at there clubs and just wish the same for
ours in our town (Dallas, Tx)

Have any of you quit going to your clubs becaus of the
same?

Thanks and hope you have a great week!

3 tenors no waiting - Posted by GL - ON

Posted by GL - ON on July 30, 2003 at 15:31:17:

It sounds like Italian opera. One man gets up and sings aria, everyone else stabs each other in the back LOL.

I like Potash’s answer, if he knew there was mud slinging and back stabbing he would go more often LOL.

Re: Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by Jasonrei

Posted by Jasonrei on July 30, 2003 at 10:23:45:

I don’t recall mudslinging at my RE club (Houston,TX). I liked William Bronchick’s response on this thread.

I don’t know what kind of mudslinging you are talking about. Do folks just talk bad about other investors? Do they say “so-and-so can’t be trusted”,“he’s all talk”, and “he only sells junk”?

3 Rules for Attending a Real Estate Club - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on July 30, 2003 at 09:17:00:

This answer is not directed at you personally, Jane, but everyone who is a beginner and wants to attend a real estate club.

Having run a real estate club since 1994 with 650 members and having attended 50 or more other clubs around the Country to speak at, I have a few observations and insights. If you want to get the most out of a real estate club, follow these 3 rules:

1. GET WHAT YOU CAN FROM EVERY SPEAKER. Understand that EVERYONE has something to sell, whether it is a guru selling a course or a local title company rep selling his BS. Everyone who speaks at a group has an “agenda”, otherwise he or she would not be standing on the stage speaking. Even the most hardcore “pitchmen” do offer some great ideas during their presentations, so you need to get past the “I’m not here to be sold” attitude and get what you can from the speaker.

2. RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE’S TIME. Many newbies always expect they can take a veteran investor out to lunch to learn the business. Most veteran investors won’t do this, unless they are fairly certain you will bring them deals. And, the “teach me the business and I’ll bring you deals” attitude doesn’t work. If a veteran investor teaches you everything he knows and you do nothing (or do everything and don’t bring him deals), he’s wasting his time. Be willing to pay people MONEY for their time. And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, don’t waste other investors’ time trying to learn the basics. Go to Barnes & Noble and buy 10 paperback books and read them. If you are not willing to spend $150 and the time to read 10 basic books, YOU AREN’T READY TO BE AN INVESTOR - PERIOD!

3. LET PEOPLE KNOW WHY YOU ARE THERE. If you sit in the corner drinking coffee, you aren’t networking and marketing your most valuable asset… YOURSELF! If your club does not have big name tags, MAKE YOURSELF ONE. Make it BIG and COLORFUL. Have a statement about what you do and what you are looking for. There’s one guy at our club whose name tag reads, “THE MOBILE HOME GUY.” Everyone knows him. Everyone calls him when they need to sell a mobile. Be creative and aggressive. Ask your club leader if it is permissible to pass out flyers - bring big, colorful flyers that read “I HAVE HOUSES TO WHOLESALE - CALL ME” or “I AM LOOKING FOR REHAB PROPERTIES ON THE WEST SIDE- CALL ME.”

Get yourself a fancy business card and hand it out to everyone. And, don’t use the cheap computer-printed garbage, go spend $50 and get some nice double-sided cards that explain who you are and what you do.

Re: Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by Jay (MI)

Posted by Jay (MI) on July 30, 2003 at 08:26:35:

At the local club around here, the 1st 30 minutes is dedicated to networking. I have found this to be the most valuable tool at the club. I agree that there is always some sort of hidden agenda, and some people are guarded on what they will share. The only real benefit is to get together with like minded people and discuss their deals, and yours. I was lucky enough to meet another local investor that has helped me out beyond words. My suggestion is to see if there is another meeting within 45 minutes of your home and see if it works out any better for you. We have not had any mud slinging, but like someone else here already said, it would be a pleasant change from the speakers we have recently had.

Re: Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by Potash

Posted by Potash on July 29, 2003 at 22:42:40:

I don’t network and 95% of speakers bore me to tears, so I rarely go to club mettings. Had I known back stabbing and mud slinging were commonplace, I would have been going regularly.

Re: Mud slinging at the REclubs!!! - Posted by tyler

Posted by tyler on July 29, 2003 at 21:26:31:

Unfortunately this is part of life…,can happen on the job, with family, neighborhood barbeque, etc. I think you need to look past the BS and focus on the active REInvestor who are positive. The goal of these meetings is to learn, develop longlasting relationships, network…, all this will put more money in your pocket.

I used to have same attitude about our local groups…,but realized its just part of life…remember the 80/20 rule…,20% actually get it done!

Different reason - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on July 29, 2003 at 18:49:13:

Jane,
I quit because it was just a big commercial for people selling things. It cost $30 for me and my wife to sit through two hours of commercials. Foreclosure seminars, lawyers, mortgage brokers, deal brokers, etc, etc. Big waste of time and money.
Randy

Re: 3 tenors no waiting - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on July 30, 2003 at 16:21:04:

Wow, that’s also a pretty good decription of the office where I work… I think there’s a new business book here somewhere…

“The Operatic Business: How to Survive in the Modern World of Courtiers and Courtesans”

Ok, so it needs a little work. But still…

I too like th is post… - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 30, 2003 at 20:40:09:

William Bronchick–(CO)--------------------

I too like this post.

I’m thinking you might want to offer it to the Vaughns as an article. I feel this is of the quality that it would good for beginners to read it early in their training.

Good Investing****************Ron Starr*****************

I like this post! (nt) - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on July 30, 2003 at 10:28:17: