My first failure - Posted by Justin

Posted by David S on March 09, 2001 at 10:11:04:

http://www.DanKennedy.com

I’ve attended several of his seminar/bootcamp programs. He is a MASTER marketer and a MASTER CLOSER.

Disclosure; There is NO financial gain for me to suggest his materials nor do I have anything to gain, period.

David S

My first failure - Posted by Justin

Posted by Justin on March 05, 2001 at 12:16:50:

I recently placed my first ad in the local paper and I got no response. I live in a city of about 200,000 and there are plenty of lower income families. I placed the add in the mobile homes section rather than the manufactured homes section (there are both) where there are usually around 10 adds placed. The add was listed as follows:

We Finance (In Bold) Buy/Sell
Fast Cash For Sellers
No Hoops, Easy Terms (& my number)

Now I know it was only my first try and I plan on doing whatever it takes to make this work, but I would appreciate any input you might have to help me. I failed, but at least I took the first step.

your ad stinks… - Posted by David S

Posted by David S on March 08, 2001 at 09:21:34:

and is totally confusing. I read the paper ads every day looking for ideas and if I can’t make it work, how can you expect your readers to (get it)?

Write your ad as if you are talking to ONE person, a 12 yr old… and keep it simple. NEVER mix buying/selling ads unless you are simply trying to discover something new that may work in your market; a test ad.

Consider using at LEAST 2 ads (buying and/or selling) in several sections of the paper. Unless you “experiment” with your (test) ads, how are you going to know which one pulls, which has the greatest success, what section gives you the best “bang for the buck”? And one more point; run your ad for at least 4 weeks before concluding that it won’t work. Many of us have to see something several times BEFORE we believe it or think it’s for real.

There are some good posts in this thread, few of which discuss marketing ability. Learn how to “market” yourself.

This business is all about marketing. If you don’t learn how to market (you and your product), you will fail miserably.

Try the “free” papers and “penny pincher” type rags for your “test ads”. They are cheap, they work, and continue to work week after week. When you find an ad that really works, pay for it in 3-6 month increments (negotiate a discount) and leave it there until if fails to pull any longer.

David S

PS; You/everyone in this business should consider buying a marketing course and do whatever it takes to gain the expertise to make the phone ring… and ring.

Re: My first failure - Posted by stampeding

Posted by stampeding on March 07, 2001 at 23:06:08:

(I’ve been away for a while and am slowly getting back into this website - what’s up, Tony-VA?)

Let me throw out a few suggestions about your ad:

1. It’s too general. Why don’t you try one ad for finding sellers and one for buyers? This way you’ll be able to include more info.

In the ad for buyers, you need to include what hooks potential buyers: “no bank,” “flexible downpayment and monthly payment,” and “FSBO”.

(I’ve never run an ad to look for sellers - it’s normally the sellers who place ads. Since the type of mhs that I buy is limited - $3000 range - I rely on the pm for reference)

1. Your ad makes you look like a professional dealer. If I were selling or buying mh , I’d shy away from you - you’re a professional and will eat me for lunch! For the ad to sell mh, try to make it look like you’re just an ordinary seller who is willing to be flexible (that’s the hook).

2. I’ve saved the best advice for last: use the ads provided in Lonnie’s book - use them word by word.

Okay my Blood pressure is comming back down - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on March 07, 2001 at 10:19:15:

Justin, I read your post and was about to let you have it.
However after reading everyones response I don’t think I need to.
Read all of their responses…esp. Tony VA’s.
And ask yourself this question…
“Were can I find folks who need to sell their Mobile home quickly and cheap?”
Make that your mantra. Ask it again and again.
Keep asking it to yourself as you are driving around the mobile home parks.
Keep asking it ask you are writing down the phone number that is written in magic marker on the torn piece of cardboard duct taped to side of that old ugly mobile home.
Keep asking as you talk to the Park Manager who is taping an eveiction notice on the mobile homes.
Just keep asking that question
Dirk

Re: Don’t give up - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on March 07, 2001 at 03:32:17:

I echo what the others have said in that you should not give up.

If you want some constructive criticism of the ad, I would put the ad in both sections. I would also be a little more clear about exactly what it is you do. If its not spelled out exactly, some people might not understand.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Thanks for the great responces! (NT) - Posted by Justin

Posted by Justin on March 06, 2001 at 18:57:19:

nt

Re: My first failure - Posted by Ron_KS

Posted by Ron_KS on March 06, 2001 at 18:41:49:

Hi Justin,
Whoa!!! You haven’t failed guy!! You took the first step and it didn’t work out - big deal!! There is always tomorrow and the next day and the next. Never say Never!!!

I run my ads as follows:

OWNER FINANCED
3 br, 2 ba, 14 x 70, $7,500.00, $1,000 DN, 12.75% int., 36 pmts of $218.23

(316)555-5555

It works good for me and should work for anyone. I took it from Lonnie’s “Bible” and have had nothing but good luck with it.

I realize each town is different, but, with what you said about 200,000 people, I can’t believe you can’t make a go of this. DON’T GIVE-UP!!! Keep pushing.
Good luck

Ron_KS

Re: My first failure - Posted by bobby bounds

Posted by bobby bounds on March 06, 2001 at 09:30:51:

How can u say u failed? Have u stopped breathing? Are you still alive? You fail my friend when u take your last breath and haven’t reached your objectives, and then that is questionable. keep on trying

Re: My first failure - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 05, 2001 at 19:23:31:

Hi Justin,

I’m new too - The first time I placed my ad I was disappointed that I didn’t receive any calls, that was on Sunday. By Thursday I had over 12 calls (all buyers). The second week I had 2 sellers (not a huge amount but then it only takes 1 to make a deal).

I suspect people get busy on the weekends, playing, enjoying the weather, spending time with their families and simply don’t make the calls until it’s time to get back into their weekly routines. Hang in there.

I also played around with different locations for my ad. I really think that it takes repetition/name recognition for a month or so to determine if the ad is successfull or not. Keep running it.

Jacque

Keep Trying! - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 05, 2001 at 18:51:26:

Newspaper adds are only one source of marketing your company. To be honest, I have had very little success with newspaper adds. The local papers I tried drew responses from areas too distant from my park or from lower income areas that could not believe what my local parks charge in lot rent.

Especially when buying used mobile homes, you need to locate sellers who are very, very motivated. Many times, these sellers are in denial that they may have to move their home, forfeit their home, or really will be evicted by the park for back lot rent. Finding motivated sellers is the key to success. One avenue may not spring the well.

I prefer to concentrate on park managers to help me find these sellers. The park managers know who wants to move, needs to move or simply needs cash. I like these sellers because the homes are already set up in the parks I like doing business in. The park manager has given me insight into their motivation level and provided me with a stronger negotiating position.

Many times I will contact or talk with these sellers. Most times I use Lonnie’s walk a way technique. I know that they are not yet in touch with the real worth of their home. They are still holding out for that retail price they heard a friend or broker say they sold another home for. Chances are I will get a panicked call from these same sellers at the end of the month because the lot rent is due or they got served by the Sheriff that the park is going to evict them.

Not all sales are this close to the fire but many are. Keep as many lines in the water as you can afford and tweak them until the proove fruitful. If not, drop them and try something else. The important thing is to simple KEEP TRYING!

Tony-VA

Re: My first failure - Posted by terry davis

Posted by terry davis on March 05, 2001 at 16:55:47:

leave the ad in - you din’t fail at all

Re: your ad stinks… - Posted by Trev in Indiana

Posted by Trev in Indiana on March 08, 2001 at 22:25:10:

David S, I appreciated your reply regarding marketing. You seem to have quite a bit of experience in this field. I was just curious which books or authors you would suggest reading or at least which ones are your favorites on the subject of marketing. The only guru I’m very familiar with is Jay Abraham. Thanks.

Trevor