My former "tenants" are still at it - Posted by Lorna...FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 06, 1999 at 22:27:46:

Rob,

Hmmmmm, I never thought about that. I guess that’s why I rely on you guys to supply me with the answers. I’ll talk with the car dealer and see if he wants to persue this with me.

Thank you.

God bless.

Lorna/

My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by Lorna…FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 06, 1999 at 19:38:55:

Hello everyone,

Can you stand another update on my tenants from hell? Well I got a call this weekend from a car dealership wanting to know if they were still living in my house. It seems that while they were scamming me, they were also scamming them. They succeeded in getting a car, a Lincoln, and they haven’t paid for 2 months.

Does anyone know of any way that the dealership and I can get together and get these “folks” out of decent people’s lives?

Thank you.

Lorna/

Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on December 07, 1999 at 14:28:13:

Sorry, just getting into the holiday spirit.

Unfortunately, they’ve outlawed debtor’s prisons in this country. There’s really no law against buying something on credit and not making payments, other than the usual civil reedies. To get a criminal charge of fraud or “obtaining goods by false pretenses”, you’ld probably have to show that they intended in advance to not pay, andintent is often hard to prove.

Still, as some others have suggested, you could try swearing out a criminal complaint. The local authorities could apprais you of the chances of arrest or conviction.

BG

Go gett’em! Scamming tenants deserve to be ‘shut down’. - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 07, 1999 at 09:30:58:

I like the idea of you ‘joining forces’ with the car dealership. Hopefully, you guys can come up with a gameplan.

After we evicted one tenant, we noticed that there was a (rental) air conditioner (window unit) left behind. (There was a sticker on the side of the unit with the vendor’s name/address.) I sent a letter warning the vendor that the tenant had been evicted…just on the chance that she might show up at his place again to try to rent something else.

As community-minded citizens, I think it is a good idea to try to help one another (other vendors, and the like) if we are able. As the old saying goes, one hand washes the other.

We had one other instance. After the eviction, Kenny went over to the house to check things out when who shows up but the owner of the local ‘Rent All’ type of store! It turned out that our tenants had rented just about EVERYTHING (wash/dryer, TV set; you name it, they had it! Living like little kings…

Even a bottled water distributor showed up to recoup his equipment! I guess plain 'ole tap water wasn’t good enuf for these guys…

Enjoy your posts! Hope things settle down for you b/4 the holidays.

Susan

Re: My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on December 06, 1999 at 21:03:36:

Hi Lorna,
Go to mrlandlord.com…that’s Jeffery Taylors site and it is a wealth of info for the L/O’s, landlords and in between. He has a link that you can let the world know about them. Check it out.
Merry Christmas, don’t let these Grinches get you down.
smile
Dee-Texas

Re: My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 06, 1999 at 21:00:35:

Lorna,

I’m no lawyer but if you can nail them for fraud you might be in business. What’s fraud. To me its getting something through false pretences. In other words they knew that what they were doing was dishonest.

If it were me , I’d go after them hard.

Re: Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses? - Posted by Lorna…FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 08, 1999 at 24:36:39:

Bert,

Unfortunately even if there were workhouses, I don’t think anyone could get these people to work. The husband receives SS benefits and the wife started working at a nursing home and there were problems there too.

I received another call from the car dealership, however, I didn’t get to talk to them. I think they are going to persue this as far as they can go. They even offered to let me know where they pick up the car, that is…if they do. I’m going to call them back tomorrow and see if we can work out a game plan.

Thanks for writing.

Lorna/

Re: Go gett’em! Scamming tenants deserve to be ‘shut down’. - Posted by Lorna…FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 08, 1999 at 24:39:41:

Susan,

Thanks for writing.

The folks at the car dealership seem anxious to get their car back…can you blame them. I’m going to call them again tomorrow and see if we can figure something out.

Lorna/

Re: My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by Lorna…FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 06, 1999 at 21:23:28:

Dee,

Thanks for the information. I had visited the Mr. Landlord site before, however, I didn’t notice that I could report the tenants from there. Believe me, I did it IMMEDIATELY. I only wished that I had noticed it before. I hope I’m not too late to prevent someone else from inheriting them. It’s been about three weeks since they’ve “left” my house.

Lorna/

Re: My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by Lorna…FT, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT, TX on December 06, 1999 at 21:28:54:

Phil,

Dee suggested that there was an area on the Mr. Landlord site where I could report them. I did. I don’t know what else to do at this point. I don’t have the funds right now to get an attorney to pursue a fraud lawsuit.

Lorna/

Re: My former “tenants” are still at it - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 06, 1999 at 22:03:48:

Fraud can be a criminal offense, if that is the case, the DA might do it with no cost to you.