My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by chris_wa on March 26, 2000 at 18:25:06:

may make a world of difference.

now, i deal with mobiles but use an identical ad to bring my buyers. The folks i am trying to target are the renters. I want them to realize as they are flipping thru the sunday paper that they are wasting money renting and would be better off if they started owning. so i run my ads in the “houses for rent” section. I have found that i get a much better response there than i do in the “mobiles for sale” I realize that we are dealing with different products here…but you may consider trying that same ad in the “houses for rent” section. if your results are like mine, your phone won’t stop ringing. good luck. hope this helps…

chris_wa

My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 26, 2000 at 16:52:33:

Hi All,

I ran an ad on this L/O I have under contract. My only problem is that I got only 4 calls. This is what my ad said:

SELLER WILL FINANCE
Nice SE area 3 bedroom 1 bath
2 car garage recently remodeled.
815 555-1212

I am at a loss why I am not getting any calls. Maybe you all can help me.

Thanks,

Tim

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on March 27, 2000 at 09:12:30:

I have found through trial and error I get much better results when I include the rent amount in the ad. I get fewer calls, but the ones who do call are already at least a little bit prequalified, because the ones who don’t have two nickels usually won’t call when the rent is included, but they ALWAYS call if it’s not.

I never include the option consideration, as I want to be able to negotiate that. Instead, I say something like “easy qualifying” or “low down”.

I also include the street name, though usually not the number. And, I agree about dropping the 1 bedroom and re-wording that line about the remodeled garage!

Finally, in the price range in which I usually do L/Os, I get the best results if the first words in the ad are: RENT TO OWN (in caps). If it’s a higher end property, I will instead say LEASE W/PURCHASE OPTION or something similar, but if it’s a “blue collar” property, the rent to own phrase has enormous appeal.

Brian (NY)

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Bo (GA)

Posted by Bo (GA) on March 27, 2000 at 08:25:02:

You may also want to change “2 car garage recently remodeled” to “recently remodeled, 2 car garage”, unless you actually meant you say that you remodeled the garage. :slight_smile:

Bo (GA)

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Bill K. -FL

Posted by Bill K. -FL on March 27, 2000 at 08:23:08:

Tim,
Don’t over look the FREE internet advertising that is available on such sites as Excite.com and Yahoo.com. Most sites let you run up to ten ads absolutely FREE. Then you can advertise in all the different subcategories. When I look at the results of who actually bought from me it is usually someone who saw my internet ad. I have wasted a lot of time on the phone with people who called on my newspaper ad. Many are realtors or other investors. If you are looking for owner occupant end users don’t overlook the internet. Keep a mailing list of everyone who responds for your future deals.

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on March 27, 2000 at 06:46:45:

I find that in my area people generally do not understand what the ad means when it says ‘owner finance’ or ‘seller finance’. They do, however, understand ‘owner will hold mortgage’.

Maybe in your area is similar. You just have to find what the local lingo is.

Sheik

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Gene S Hou Tex

Posted by Gene S Hou Tex on March 26, 2000 at 22:55:05:

Tim: In addition to the other good comments I definately see the “1” bathroom as a big negative. I think I would delete that from my ad. Get them involved in the other features of the home first and it will help to minimize the negative of the one bath.

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on March 26, 2000 at 21:27:57:

I get about 50% more calls when my ad says “bad credit okay” or “will consider poor credit”. There are legions of prospects out there who think their bad credit automatically disqualifies them…when I talk to them they’ll often say that they’ve just had a bankruptcy, or perhaps a divorce…I can work with that!
Russ

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 26, 2000 at 20:21:18:

You won’t get many calls in the for sale section. Put it in the for rent section. And say:

Lease Option to buy. $000.000 DOWN, $000.00 PER MONTH. OWN YOUR OWN HOME. The address is important too. Bedrooms, etc. I know the ads can get pricey, but your phone will ring off the hook if you put it in the houses for rent. Renters want to buy, just don’t think they can, so they won’t even look in the for sale section.

Laure :slight_smile:

What is the … - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on March 26, 2000 at 19:10:52:

Price Range of the house? Is above the range of the blue collar worker, that is the type of worker that will respond to the selling of financing.

Also my ads always say Owner Finance, not seller will finance, dont know ir that would make a difference.

Betting that if you change a few things, check your price point it will be gone.

Also, why are you saying will finance if you Renting the house? just curious?

David Alexander

Re: One last thing - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 26, 2000 at 16:53:26:

I ran the ad in the For Sale section

Re: My L/O ad only had 4 calls what is the problem? - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on March 27, 2000 at 08:41:48:

I agree with Sheik. It does depend on your local lingo. In general the simplier the language the better. I use:

NO BANKS REQUIRED
Lease purchase or owner finance
3br/2ba traditional
$xpur pricex 444-444-4444

I do list purchase price but do not list down payment or monthly payment. I always try to discover how much they have to put down in the first phone call.

Re: What is the … - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 26, 2000 at 21:40:23:

David,

I am saying financing because I look at L/Oing as a form of seller financing.

As for price, it is not mentioned in the ad.

Tim

PS- I am sending the pic out this week