My Last post. - Posted by Bassman

Posted by OzarkMark on March 22, 2000 at 10:22:35:

Hey Lyal, I didn’t see software on the NADA site. Sounds good though. Wonder if they would let me “upgrade” my order? Thanks for the tip! -Mark

My Last post. - Posted by Bassman

Posted by Bassman on March 21, 2000 at 14:58:24:

OK, apparently i have made some of the well repected people on this newsgroup angry enough to ask me by private email to stop posting on this newsgroup.
As I do not wish to mislead anyone by my “ignorance” of investing , and because these people are well respected I guess this will be my last post here.
I guess this is why so many people over the last year have stopped posting. Whenever you try to give an opinion people jump all over you and label you as a “” Scam Artist" or full of bologna.
My intention was not to mislead.EVER!
But, to allow this group to flourish as a great place to get information, and not make a big deal, I will stop posting immediately.
My apologies if I have angered anyone, thanks for the great information shared here.
Good bye and great investing to you all.
Scott Cooper

Indication of how well you are regarded… - Posted by Jacob

Posted by Jacob on March 22, 2000 at 18:00:42:

Is the large number of responses you received. And as far as I could tell, all were positive.

Heck, when I decided to take a hiatus, I posted a very simillar message to what you did here. I even used some of the same words.

The difference, my post was deleted in about 10 minutes, while you even got a response from J.P. That should tell you how well you are respected.

Respect that has been earned, I might add.

Jacob

OK FINE. - Posted by Bassman

Posted by Bassman on March 22, 2000 at 16:12:57:

Thanks for all the great email.
I will return to helping , but I guess I will be like the Veterans have suggested and be cautious who& how I reply to. Thanks to Jim for pointing out I forgot to add the other two years to my calculations and showing me more appropraite ways to explain my tactics ( yes eduardo , legal ways). I really do appreciate all the support.
A great BIG TROUT to all of you.

Your friend,
Scott Cooper

Get a Grip, Scotty… - Posted by J.P. Vaughan

Posted by J.P. Vaughan on March 22, 2000 at 11:50:33:

Scott,

Please keep things in the proper perspective…

This site gets over 5,000 visitors a day. Most read
this NG every single day and never post a thing. You
cannot let a few people have this kind of effect on you.

If I had done that, this site would have shut down years
ago. You’ve been around long enough to see the attacks
on me and my editorial policy and, as Piper said, all
the “pot shots” both here and at other sites.

But, you know what? When all is said and done, I KNOW
this site has helped many, many, many people (including
YOU). And you, in turn, are trying to give back. So put
things in the proper perspective, Scott, and don’t stop
now.

Best Regards,

JP

Yo Scott!! - Posted by Stoker

Posted by Stoker on March 22, 2000 at 10:31:06:

Bye.

Re: My Last post. - Posted by Nadine Spiker

Posted by Nadine Spiker on March 22, 2000 at 10:27:39:

OK Bassman. You know the deal with me, some of us still need your input, as well as everyone elses input and opinion. That is why we are all here in the fist place. Try to keep things in perspective and live and learn. This is why it is called an opinion. You know you can take it or leave it. Keep Posting. You may never know the help you have given.

(to borrow a phrase from E F Hutton): ?When ?The Bassman? Talks, People Listen!? - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 22, 2000 at 09:35:51:

We need you Scott!

Like Ben(NJ) mentioned in his post, some of us here have been chewed up and spit out a couple ?o times?and we?re probably no worse for wear, for it?

We need people like you to keep the rest of us on the ?straight and narrow?!

Your posts are the ?glue? that helps to hold this board together!

Susan

Hey, at least you get lots of responses to your posts! nt - Posted by OzarkMark

Posted by OzarkMark on March 22, 2000 at 05:57:12:

ny

Re: My Last post. - Posted by Lib Cassin

Posted by Lib Cassin on March 22, 2000 at 04:28:26:

Bassman: Dont you dare disapear, do you hear me? I discovered this site 2 weeks ago, actually the weekend everyone was at the convention, and I crept around the site like an excited mouse, eager to learn, scared that I would do something wrong and be kicked off, cos this is just too great a place to be for real, and mostly, I was starving for some company, just starving in fact for people to talk to about something I am passiaonate and ignorant about at the same time. I read your posts, I took notes, and then when all of you “Big-Timers” came ‘home’ I met you in the chat room. In two weeks, I have laughed and enjoyed so much what you, YES, YOU! have offered, and I will be really mad at you if you disapear, now that I have actually found the courage to pursue a real deal- so you had better post again soon, and you had better be in that chat room because I really need you and what you offer - So there, put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Re: My Last post. - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on March 22, 2000 at 02:10:13:

Hi Scott:

Eventhough I?ve already spoken with you by email regarding your post, and my belief that you should continue to post, I thought I?d weigh in publicly as well to add a few more thoughts.

I?ve been posting here for somewhat over 3 years I believe. In that time I?ve been involved in all forms of conflict, controversy, argument, disagreement, and debate. I?ve said some things I would prefer not to have said, and not said some things I wish I had said. Through it all though, tonight I can easily say that this newsgroup has been a great learning experience for me.

When someone posts an answer here, at least two people learn?..the first is the one who got their question answered. The second is the one who answered the question. This second person is the person who probably gained the most in fact. To answer a question requires thought, organizing your ideas, bringing to the surface those things that you don?t consciously think about anymore. It?s a sharpening of your skills, a honing of the mind. To quit posting will result in losing this magnificent opportunity that you now have everyday when you post here on the newsgroup.

In the past on this newsgroup these times of controversy have always been remarkable learning experiences for those with open minds. And don?t think we all don?t have our turn in the barrel. I?ve seen Joe Kaiser, Bill Bronchick, Bill Gatten, Ed Garcia, John Behle, Ray Alcorn, Dirk Roach, Steve Cook, Phil Fernandez and many, many others all take some shots here. (And by the way, if I left your name out, please post below, we?ll take a few shots at you so you don?t feel left out.) And let?s not forget our host JP Vaughan. This remarkable lady has taken more shots than any of us here on the newsgroup, and on other newsgroups as well.

These shots are always opportunities?..opportunities to observe your character, recheck your ideas, change what doesn?t work, argue for what does. I think it?s the Chinese who mention the idea of opportunity in crisis. What thoughts go through your mind when you?re challenged, what can you learn from those thoughts? How can you benefit from learning to observe yourself when challenged? All these things are lessons which can be put to use in the rest of your life. Everything that takes place on this newsgroup is a microcosm of the ?outside? world. Triumph, challenge, crisis, opportunity, disappointment, frustration. These aren?t times to withdraw?..these are times to learn?..learn how to deal with that which presents itself to you. Generally, we?re only presented with things that we need to learn.

In the final analysis we each walk our own path, we make our own choices, and we?re responsible for those choices. Only you know what?s the best choice for you. But I would offer you this suggestion. Most of us are much too attached to the outcome of our actions. If you were capable of stepping outside yourself, looking back, and saying ?Wow, look at that. There I am getting upset and frustrated over someone?s opinion about what I said. Isn?t that something. I wonder what it is about me that causes that frustration to arise??, can you see where you would have something to gain? It?s within your power to choose how you respond to events?.and there is NO right response. As someone said below, we?re all humans, we make mistakes, we do some really crazy things. One choice we have is to say ?Gee, guess I screwed that deal up. What can I learn here? Why do I feel as I do?? You don?t have to choose to be angry, frustrated, or down on yourself. Matter of fact, you don?t have to choose anything at all?..you can simply observe yourself in action.

I think anyone who stops posting here has a lot to lose?..starting with a remarkable opportunity for growth. But good luck with whatever choice you make. I hope you?ll continue to post.

JPiper

Re: My Last post. - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on March 22, 2000 at 24:31:49:

Scott,

If you truly want this site to flourish you will not stop posting. I for one rely heavily on this site and the people who participate here. Someday I hope to be able to contribute but in the meantime all I can do is hopefully ask questions that might help myself and some others who are at my level or below. You on the other hand have something to offer to myself and ALL the others who are TRYING to reach the next level. I feel so privledged to even know that this site exists and you should too. Don’t let anyone eat your lunch. Some will come here and some will leave. The torch of knowledge that passes through this site is invaluable. Guard it well my friend.

Sincerely,

LeonNC

One more thought - post more - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on March 21, 2000 at 23:59:00:

A hero of mine made a statement about 150 years ago that I’ve always liked. “A man who takes offense when offense is not intended is a fool. A man who takes offense when offense is intended - is usually a fool.”

That’s his words, not mine. I’m not saying anyone is a fool - I just reflect on that statment whenever I begin feeling offended. Most of the time the person didn’t mean to offend. When they did, there is no way I am going to give them control over how I feel.

It usually doesn’t do much good to be offended and only pleases the one that offended you - if that was their goal.

So really upset them and post more!

I think this should be your last post! - Posted by Tim Jensen

Posted by Tim Jensen on March 21, 2000 at 22:07:58:

Made you look!!

Now seriously, I see no reason to stop posting. Just because you got a few people all Pessed off at you. Heck if that was the case, I would have stopped posting about two years ago. You think I’m kidding take a poll.

I hope you cahnge your mind!

Tim

Re: My Last post. - Posted by tb

Posted by tb on March 21, 2000 at 21:38:05:

Bass,

You know that I rarely post in the NewsGroup, probably because Tax Forfeited Properties is not really considered “REI” by many, but I always look forward to your reading your posts and getting your angle on situations.

Besides, who else would I smack around with large, slimy trout? : -)

Quitters never win and winners never quit. Youre a WINNER in my book Scott; dont quit.

tb

Re: My Last post. - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on March 21, 2000 at 21:03:49:

Bass,

As someone who has known you in the chatroom for the past 2 years, don’t stop posting.

You are respected here by me.

HUMAN - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 21, 2000 at 20:23:40:

I didn’t read the thread your are referring to, however, these things (email, etc) can be summed up in one way. HUMAN. We are all human, and by being so, we do human things, like make mistakes, and are sometimes just rude, and mean (speaking for myself). And, let’s face it, the written word is not the “communicator” that speach is.

When someone acts in a manner I feel offensive, I just say, “darn it, they’re just being HUMAN.” This too will pass.

Keep up your chin. And stick around.

Laure :slight_smile:

I know from personal experience - Posted by Jacob

Posted by Jacob on March 21, 2000 at 19:47:43:

Scott,

If anyone can sympathize with what you are experiencing, I certainly can.

I personally really enjoy your posts. I can always appreciate a contrary opinion than what is the accepted. I also can respect someone with the sack to say what they think. You got it, my friend and it shouldn’t be wasted.

Actually, you and I can probably trade names, from this experience at least. I can imagine the kinds of messages you are getting, and I have no idea what posts or “negative material” you are referring to. I can say that I have read many things you have written, and have found them to be on the mark.

What it boils down to is this. Why do you participate here? Do you do it for fame? Do you do it to practice your writing skills? Do you do it to schmooze with the cream of re investing? Or (as I suspect) do you do it to give a hand out to others that can benefit from your experiences?

What other people think of you means squat. What you think of yourself means everything.

That’s my philosophy in a nutshell. Only you have to look at yourself in the mirror.

Jacob

p.s. Heck, I still get stupid messages from people, and I know there are several “vets” around here that don’t like me. In the overall scheme of things, does it matter?

Re: My Last post. - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on March 21, 2000 at 19:19:44:

Hey Bassman,
You are not alone. I too decided to stop posting here for quite sometime because of the same thing you are mentioning. I’ve said things to people that I probably shouldn’t have, I’ve had people say things to me that they probably shouldn’t have. The bottom line now is I really don’t care.
Not everyone is going to like me or my opinion. In fact their are going to be people who utterly disgust what I have to say, I really don’t care. My post that disgusts many may change the life of one and that is what we are all here for.
If it wasn’t for others taking beatings to give me advice I wouldn’t be here today. I remember a couple years back how I would ask questions and get conflicting answers and stir up a good old cyber brawl. But if it weren’t for those who stuck in there and took their licks I wouldn’t have learned from them.
I’m back, I’m posting again, not as much as before but that is because I am so busy outside of here. I received a lot from this site and I intend to give back as much as I can, whether others like it or not.
If your responses and posts are coming from the heart then it doesn’t matter if you are right or wrong in what you say. If you are wrong you will be corrected and you learned something yourself. If you are right you may not get any praise but you will have helped another individual or many.
It is ultimately your decision to come or go, just remember that it is you making the decision, don’t let someone else make it for you.

Steve Cook

zig heil !!! - Posted by tang-0-rang

Posted by tang-0-rang on March 21, 2000 at 17:44:17:

Why dont we just suppress the first amendment of the constitution, and why we are at it, lets just make all our opinions dictate each other. forget individuality or free will, you just tell me what to type and I will type it just like everyone else.
he he he, any thought on MY post keep em to yourself(LOL)
Look, my main man Bass, I do believe the people have spoken. This is not a communist system, KEEP POSTING. Unless the Vaughn’s themselves have asked you to stop (doughtful, they are too understanding)mistakes happen that is why they are called MISTAKES, lets all get on with the love, and the love of investing because that is why we are here. dont play patsy to anyone.

Todd Williamson-