My meeting with the PM and mobiles for Free. - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 04, 2001 at 19:36:30:

LOL?.I didn?t mean it that way at all?.my daughter saw this post and gleefully informed me that she always knows she?s in trouble when I call her by her full name :)… I was in a big hurry to leave (the tile and chimney contractors arrived to fix my chimney and replace the tiles on my roof that got broken from the earthquake) and trying to answer the post. I didn?t even think how it would appear when read. So, Tony, did you get in trouble often ;)??.

Thanks for the information on the books. I was already trying to decide which of the courses to get next and was shooting for Ray Alcorn?s and Ernest Tew?s.

Be good!

Jacque

My meeting with the PM and mobiles for Free. - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 03, 2001 at 12:15:25:

Well, I went into the meeting with the Park Manager who called me with much trepidation and plain old fear. After 5 minutes of talking with her I realized it was pure silliness ? these people needed and welcomed investors for mobile homes.

Here?s a brief summary of what transpired and some questions:

1. I was given ? yes, given ? 2 mobile homes absolutely FREE provided I would pay the lot rent. Combining the two mobiles - she was behind on over $3000 in lot rent for these two mobiles. Frankly, and I?m a little embarrassed now ? I opened my wallet and had exactly $87.92 in my wallet - I told her that?s all I had at that given moment and I would not start paying lot rent until April 1st?..I almost fell off the chair when she took the deal. The mobiles are both 1987 models ? and need no work ? they are ready to go and the ads are in the papers for Sunday.

2. She also wants to give me ? provided I pay the delinquent lot rent ($1500) another home which I wanted to check with some of you on the board about: This is only a 1 bedroom/1 bath, 1955 model. I know it?s REALLY old. However, it belonged to Grandma who was moved to a nursing home 3 months ago and the title turned over to the park. This home is in absolute perfect condition. New carpet, appliances maybe a few years old, etc?. It would also be ready for immediate sale. My concern is the age? Anyone see any problems with this old mobile. It can stay on the lot.

3. She also had one that was recently trashed by some crazy woman. This home was literally torn apart. The cabinet doors all taken off and smashed. Carpets torn out. All the wires for the appliances, electrical (direct from the Puget Sound Energy meter) cut, windows smashed out. Even the water heater had all the insides removed and wires cut?The decking was smashed to smithereens and all the furniture smashed and thrown outside. Frankly, she wanted to know if I wanted this one too to rehab?I have politely turned her down?.Something about this home screamed DANGER at every one of my senses?.Also, this home has never received permits ? the county has no record of it?all the serial numbers have been scraped with some type of tools and no one seems to be able to find any record of it?no title, etc?

4. The park has a total of 6 homes it now owns as rentals. They do not want to be landlords and have told me that as they come empty I would have first shot at them.

5. The Park Manager is relatively new here?only 3 months. The previous Manager had all the tenants pay their lot rent in cash, no receipts given, and then took off with almost 6 months worth of rent receipts (74 spaces in this park at $265/mnth).

6. The owners have owned this park for 15 years ? inherited it from her parents and are tired of it?.elderly and may be interested in selling it? They are not certain at this point. The owner mentioned a price of $150,000 are not certain. So, they know I may/may not be interested. I think I better get some books/information on what too look for in buying a park. Anyone have any suggestions on good books?

7. The Park Manger also gave me a couple of leads on some people who have been trying to sell in the past and were unable too so they are now landlords. I will be contacting them within the next couple of days.

All in all it was a really successful meeting. Once they realized and understood what I do ? I barely had to talk ? they did all the talking. Even took a walking tour of the park and met a lot of the owners of the mobiles in the park.

Oh, I forgot?.there?s another home that they someone tried to move into the park and it wound up being too big for the space. It?s now sitting kitty-corner in front of the laundry/rec room taking up a huge amount of space. The owners just want someone to take it so they don?t have to pay for it to be moved. The owner of the park is willing to split the cost of the move only?.Still following Lonnie?s advice and not moved one yet but curious as to what you all think.

Here?s the breakdown:

Mobile Home ? FREE
Moving cost – $600.00 ( park willing to pay $300)
Building permit - $54.95
Move permit ? free, if taxes paid ? already paid for this year.
Set-up ? I was quoted $1200?.(not sure what that entails but have asked for more info)
Electrical hook-up ? called a general electrician and was quoted $595 ? am calling others unless I find this is the norm.
It will need new skirting (14x70 model) ? Is there a place to call for used skirting? Have no cost estimates.
Park about 2 miles down the road willing to accept it?lot rent $274 ? deposit waived due to call from the Park Manger I?ve been talking with.

Fix-up work ? 1 pipe broken in master bath and 1 small window broken.

Possibility of resale price: $ 10,0000.

Anyway, thanks for reading ? I apologize for being so long.

Jacque

Re: My meeting with the PM and mobiles for Free. - Posted by Greg Va

Posted by Greg Va on March 05, 2001 at 14:14:12:

Jacque
I reccomend Rays Alcorn’s book on MHP"S I’m reading mine right now trying to come up with an offer on a park I am looking at. The numbers you mentioned 74 spaces at 265/month for 150k sound very good.You may want to tie this one up while you are doing Due dilligence if possible.

Re: My meeting with the PM and mobiles for Free. - Posted by anthony

Posted by anthony on March 03, 2001 at 21:39:37:

Jaque, If this park is for sale for 150,000 I may be interested in working out a deal with the park owners. If this would come to pass, I would work with you on deals in the park! Please e-mail me a number to call on this park. Thanks, Anthony

Out of the comfort zone and into the ACTION! - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 03, 2001 at 16:47:14:

This is a great post. I am glad that you had a good experience with a park manager. They don’t all go this well but even when they don’t, it is not the end of the world. Leaving that comfort zone for a few minutes gained you two homes, several deals in the works and some great contacts. Great Work!

You also point out a vitally important tidbit of information. The best way to sell is by listening. The more they talk, the more comfortable they become with you and the better feeling they leave the conversation with. If we just walked in and did all the talking and walked out, what impression do you think they would have of this idea?

As to some of your questions. I would pass on the 1 bed, 1 bath…too old but more important, too limited a selling target market and too much lot rent owed. You got two newer homes for free. Imagine what you could get with the $1500!

You may want to just work on these two free deals for now. Use the two homes as your test cases for this park. You have no money into them, this allows you holding costs and advertising. Find out if this park markets well and then go from there. I always prefer to test the water first with a new park manager. If the first deal or two go well, then I will try and do as many deals and help them as much as I can.

Great Work. Glad to hear of your success.

Tony-VA

Now Anthony… - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 03, 2001 at 22:35:52:

Thanks for the offer - I will keep you in mind but to be honest, I was planning on working this one myself, is possible.

If not possible, I will look at other alternatives - in which case I would keep you in mind.

I believe, if it does come to pass, they would sell with some creative financing.

Thanks,

Jacque

Thanks Tony. - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 03, 2001 at 22:41:05:

The Park Manager called me again tonight to let me know that if I am interested in the older mobile she would just give it to me as part of the deal provided I start paying the lot rent in April.

I told her that I would place a few ads and IF I can get a buyer I would go ahead and take it…this may be the wrong thing to do but it’s in such great shape and this way I have nothing to lose.

I have come to realize that there are several parks in the vicinity that really need some investors doing the “Lonnnie Deals”. I am considering sending them a letter and then following up with phone/personal visits. Does anyone have a marketing letter that they use to send to parks to initiate conversation/meetings?

Thanks so much,

Jacque

Re: Now Anthony… - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 04, 2001 at 10:25:48:

Man Jacque, I had flashbacks to my mom getting ready to send me to my room with that “Now Anthony”…ewww cold chills! Thank god your weren’t referring to me.

Anyway, in your post you asked for books etc about buying parks. I highly recommend Ray Alcorn’s material and Ernest Tew’s course. Ray goes into great detail on how to value a park and Ernest shows what creativity can do to turn a park around.

Tony-VA

Re: Thanks Tony. - Posted by Tony-VA

Posted by Tony-VA on March 04, 2001 at 10:21:18:

I like this idea better. This arrangement limits your exposure and still allows you to help the park and yourself. Similar arrangements can be made using option agreements as well.

Try Carlene (Maine). She has been successful in using the letter/followup intro to park managers.

Tony-VA