My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 10, 2003 at 04:38:57:

True. When I painted houses people always wanted to know why I had a 6 month waiting list, and why didn’t I “drink up the profits like everyone else.”
That was especially bad amongst many painters I knew. Good guys from many other standpoints, but not that one.
I know some contractors in the area, just no plumbers.
I am going to have to try to get a good referral.
P
Thanks Philip

My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 09, 2003 at 14:03:08:

And my skirter won’t skirt. These guys are taking weeks to get to me! I am new and haven’t hired them before, maybe that is why.
I have a 81 14x70 3/1 on 1 acre that needs hooked to rural water, hooked to septic, skirted, steps.
It is in good shape, excellent on the interior. We might paint it.
I started calling these guys 6 weeks ago.
Any ideas about how to solve this?
I HATE waiting!
Thanks for thinking for me since I have trouble on my own!
Philip

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Sam Chevel

Posted by Sam Chevel on September 10, 2003 at 17:10:53:

Just do it yourself.

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Ed C (CA)

Posted by Ed C (CA) on September 09, 2003 at 21:18:20:

Phillip, As a contractor of 25 years plus! I would not wait 6 weeks for any contractor. I would keep calling until you find someone who will come out in the next day or two to give you a bid on your work. Never pay in advance. Payment in phases is ok, as long as it doesn’t exceed value of work. Payment upon satisfactory completion of work is best!

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on September 09, 2003 at 16:12:00:

Where are you? If you are in IL I can help you…

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Steve Contois

Posted by Steve Contois on September 09, 2003 at 15:21:23:

Try using companies like Handyman Connection if their are franchises in your area. You may pay a little more but the response time is better.
you may try getting referrals from park managers on who they use.

offer them a bonus- - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on September 09, 2003 at 14:55:50:

-or offer to pay them up front (if you have reason to believe they will do as they say). You’d be surprised at how many people who hire these guys do NOT pay their bills on time or not at all. You’ll be like a breath of fresh air.

good luck,
Anne

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 10, 2003 at 19:32:21:

Are you a good plumber? I have plumbed a few things, but not much. I would have to find the underground rural water line, connect properly to that, which I have never done. Then, connect to the mh. Then check and fix and troubleshoot anything on the home itself.
Philip

Haven’t seen you for a while, remember… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 10, 2003 at 11:49:29:

…its my turn to buy. Jose’s Restaurant has a branch in nearby Yucaipa. doc

Posted by Philip on September 10, 2003 at 04:27:52:

Ed,
I painted and hung paper for 8 years. I did a little sub work. I drew my pay in weekly draws on big jobs. None of this should take more than a day for each person. You know how the building is right now with the low interest; everyone is pretty busy.
I think I will call a plumbing/ac man I know and see if he can recommend any semi-rretired guys or anything.
Thannks,
Philip

Posted by Philip on September 09, 2003 at 16:14:11:

Southern MO, but thanks…Philip

Posted by Philip on September 09, 2003 at 16:13:07:

Well, we don’t have that, but I guess there is a similar thing around somewhere. I am thinking of calling on a handyman ad in the paper…so many only want the easy jobs though. I have had one turn me down allready! Thanks
Philip

Re: offer them a bonus- - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 09, 2003 at 16:11:14:

Really? I know they don’t always get paid…but I don’t know them well enough to pay ahead. I would consider a $100.00 advance, though. Thanks
Philip

important philosophical stance - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on September 11, 2003 at 10:27:04:

Philip:

I could learn to plumb. I could learn to do carpentry (I would actually enjoy doing this, have always wanted to know). I do in fact do a little painting because it’s relaxing for me. But I don’t own a truck and I don’t have lots of tools and even jobs that I could do I generally do not. Why? Because I can make more money buying and selling than it would save me if I did the job myself (leaving aside issues of licensing).

Joe Kaiser had a garage sale and got rid of all his tools some years ago. He didn’t want to even be tempted to do any work himself. That’s the theory I subscribe to. I can’t afford to hire me to do repairs, I cost too much!

work smarter not harder,

Anne

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by Sam Chevel

Posted by Sam Chevel on September 10, 2003 at 19:57:12:

Don’t sound hard. Don’t sound like you would have to be a very good plumber to take care of it. Last plumbing job I did was to replace a leaking valve on a water source heat pump. Had to drain the system down to the third floor, because who ever designed the system did not put any cut off valves on the risers. The chillers were down for about eight hours.

Re: My plumber wont plumb - Posted by jowns

Posted by jowns on September 11, 2003 at 13:56:07:

I WOULD BE A GREAT PLUMBER IF IT WAS NOT FOR LEAKS

Re: offer them a bonus- - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on September 10, 2003 at 08:18:37:

If they’re bonded, licensed and insured and you have them sign a contract, you should be okay to give them a deposit up front. Ask for a copy of their liability policy and call the city to check with the insurance and bond.

The first time I hired the MH repair company that does all my work was in Feb when they had little work. I gave them $500 down on a $3200 job and then paid the rest the day they finished- no wait for the bill to arrive.

Now that it’s the busy season they make time in their schedule for me (most people are flat out turned down) and they have given me all kinds of freebies- extra skirting, first chance at good used appliances, free delivery, free storage of appliances that come out of one house but could be used in another house (usually hot water heaters).

It worked well for me.

Anne

Re: offer them a bonus- - Posted by gary

Posted by gary on September 10, 2003 at 01:14:53:

don’t do it. In many cases you just gave them $100 bar money.

Re: important philosophical stance - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on September 11, 2003 at 13:22:34:

It is funny that you mention this topic. I want to hire work done. I am sure most of the time I will. I only step in now when it is to speed up the process or way in my favor financially.
My parents rehabbed homes all through my childhood. They ALWAYS did more than they should have in the way of repair. Not just doing it themselves, but also “making it too nice”…for the money. I think the biggest part of it was my MOM’S liking and ability for rehabbing. My dad hated it and only helped after he retired at age 54 from his regular job. My Mom can do many things, but never liked it if you couldn’t stand up, or if you got really filthy.
I want to hire things done and am sure at some point I will have people lined up for these things.
Philip

Posted by Philip on September 10, 2003 at 21:40:30:

I wallpapered a fancy resteraunt at Precious Moments near Carthage,MO, but I can’t plumb worth a lick. Now, you sound like you know how. Risers, chillers, that is all greek to me. Risers, in the places I work are for overstock, and chillers are a brand of junk food.
However I do weild a mean sash brush.
Philip