My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by Briton

Posted by james(CA) on August 12, 2007 at 12:36:24:

I am also interested in SS. How are things going after a few years? Any good tips/challenges you can share are greatly appreciated.

My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by Briton

Posted by Briton on July 10, 2003 at 16:04:07:

I am building 2 self storage buildings. One in the fall, and one in the spring if the first one gets full. Anyways they broke ground today. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of security i should use, or what the best kind is. Does anyone else do these? Sorry this is not about MH’s. Briton PS, i had a company called Trachte do make the actual building.

Re: My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on July 10, 2003 at 17:10:44:

Your just NOW addressing this issue?

Re: My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by Briton

Posted by Briton on July 11, 2003 at 19:59:40:

All i know is that nice people are much more helpful to me. Something to consider, Briton

Posted by Briton on July 10, 2003 at 18:41:53:

I just have it lowered to 2 kinds of security, both can still be done. I just wanted opinions. If i tell what i am thinking, i do not get as pure answers. Never Assume. Thank you, Briton

Posted by Mr. C on July 10, 2003 at 20:49:43:

Let me be VERY blunt.

I own and have personally managed a 650-unit self-storage facility. I’m likely the ONLY person in this forum who can speak from experience on this issue… or at least one of the very few.

If your having security concerns NOW, then you have most definately put the horse BEFORE the cart.

If you DON’T want the readers here to make assumptions, then you need to provide details in your post. This “lack of information” issue has been covered here THOUSANDS of times before.

If your expecting opinions as you say, then it would seem prudent to provide the necessary background so those who choose to respond do so intelligently.

Forcing someone to make assumptions after you’ve asked them to read your mind, and then complaining about it publically, is just plain stupid.

Re: My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by steve

Posted by steve on July 10, 2003 at 23:22:05:

Relax Mr. C, He is only 19!!

Posted by Mr. C on July 10, 2003 at 23:49:51:

Thus it’s apparent that the trait of being rude and impertinent is still prevelant in our youth.

Oh joy.

Re: My self Storage buildings are started! - Posted by Kris (wi)

Posted by Kris (wi) on July 11, 2003 at 07:33:47:

I’ll answer your question but I don’t own 650 of them so i’m not qualified:) I also did’nt think it was a rude question or hard to answer.
About the best thing you can do IMHO is to install lots of lighting and security cameras. I would use parking lot type lighting if posible but might be overkill if in a residential area.
The cameras should be installed facing the vehical entrances and down each row of the units. As far as recording you can have it done on the property or sent over the phone system to your PC. It all depends on what you want to pay. Contact a locol security company and ask for some qoutes and ideas if they are any good they’ll give you a free consultaion.

Keep up the good work and don’t listen to people who talk down to you.

Kris

Posted by Briton on July 11, 2003 at 19:50:10:

Thank you kris,I am glad to here from a helpful person on this issue. I was thinking at least cameras, and motion sensor lights. But i am still thinking about a fence, i am not sure if it would be worth the cost. I live a a fairly rural area in Indiana. Briton