My story-Newbie - Posted by Maureen

Posted by Clair-MO on July 09, 2003 at 09:01:08:

Burrell, Thank you for your comments. I try to be helpful to beginners! If you ever need help with a problem please feel free to post it on this site and I’ll do what I can to give you an answer, fair enough? If you would like to talk please feel free to send your phone number to me. Clair

My story-Newbie - Posted by Maureen

Posted by Maureen on April 30, 2003 at 12:48:40:

Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I don’t see too many ladies on the board. Anyways My husband is about 70k in student loan debt and we are barely hanging on by our eyeballs. With all that said and done I don’t look at REI as a quick fix but something that I can educate myself on and do for the future. I have a question though how many of you have their real estate license? Is this recommended? Also anyone buy a house from a family member? How was that experience? My husbands gramma just died so it is something to think about. I just got the Carleton sheets course so I will be doing alot of studying and maybe starting up by the end of summer.
Thanks,
Maureen

Re: My story-Newbie - Posted by gregory lichtenstein

Posted by gregory lichtenstein on May 10, 2003 at 11:06:00:

That soinds like a lot of debt! I completely know what that’s like! You’re on the right track about REI not being a quick fix. It will take TIME if you’re jsut starting out. It is, however, a VERY profitable hobby (actually one that can make you RICH!) but it takes lots of effort, some timing and a bit of luck. I myself DO NOT have a real estate license - the classroom training is GOOD and will give you a firm foundation to start with. With a license, you probably WILL NOT learn about the strategis that you’ll get from creative real estate. Keep studying Carlton Sheets. He’s a very smart man (he owns a good chunck of Florida!) and his course has a ton of super useful information. If you ever get into a rut, check out fastcashcourse.com. There’s a really good eBook that’s free there. That’ll give you a good shot of juice for those days when you don’t want to pick up the phone and call prospects.

Keep On Truckin’
Greg

Word of Encouragement - Posted by Clair-MO

Posted by Clair-MO on April 30, 2003 at 20:51:25:

Maureen, You are heading in the right direction in getting Sheets’ program. It is a good start for the beginner but I think Rich gave some helpful suggestions to you. As for as getting a RE Lience, you don’t need it to become a real estate investor but you do need alot of patience and gain alot of knowledge in doing creative financing. A successful real estate investor will work with realtors and will learn how to get the realtor full commission on a sale. I have been doing real estate investing for 8 years and I have bought over 2.8 million dollars worth of properties. If you are interested in knowing how I came to be a successful investor, please feel free to give me a call (417-862-5582) fair enough and we’ll talk? Where are you located? I live in Springfield, Missouri.

Re: My story-Newbie - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on April 30, 2003 at 20:17:03:

I agree, I didn’t see too many females here either. Sounds like we are in the same boat … student loans as well as other debt up to our eyes. I am hoping to make some money fairly quickly … yet not expecting to be rich instantly. I, too, was looking at purchasing CS course, but wasn’t sure if it was a scam or not. I have been burned on many “opportunites”. If you would like to talk more about where you are at or if you have any suggestions, email me at kscarlassara@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Re: My story-Newbie - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on April 30, 2003 at 17:55:00:

Maureen,

Lee has bought up some great points about getting a RE license.

They key for REI is educating yourself. The get rich quick thing does not work. But, can you make money and start to build a nice net worth? Oh yes.

I enjoyed The CS course IMHO its a good way to get you feet wet in REI.

After you finish the course seek out other courses, books, maybe a local investment club, hang around these message boards, etc. Also its very important to remember…dont give up. If you get turned down for 10 offers make 10 more.

That will help you a great deal in this business…then you’ll be ready to roll.

Good Luck,

RichV(FL)

Re: My story-Newbie - Posted by Lee Cain

Posted by Lee Cain on April 30, 2003 at 17:00:45:

The only advantage of being a Realtor,that I can see, is access to the MLS. Most motivated sellers are not in the MLS, so that’s not much of an advantage. It is a good way of getting comps on your houses. A big disadvantage, is you have to follow your broker’s policies. Most brokers know little about creative real estate investing and may be a hinderance to your program. There’s a lot of emotions mixed up in dealing with families. Be careful there.

Re: Word of Encouragement - Posted by Burrell

Posted by Burrell on July 09, 2003 at 24:55:30:

I liked whay you had to say to Maureen. I now have found myself bitten by the REI bug. The first thing for me and my company(Incorporated in June 2003) is to start off in rei(single family homes) to produce capital for securing major investors in the future for developing subdivisions, when I complete my degree in Construction Management. I am on a campaign of solicitation from “seasoned investors” in journey of my goal. Feel free to offer any NOVICE suggestions.

Thanx

Burrell