Need advice on buying used mobile home - Posted by CB

Posted by John/Indiana on March 13, 2001 at 02:25:42:

Hi CB,welcome. For $17,000 I think you can find a much nicer/newer unit.The $6000 to move set/up? Lost forever…

Need advice on buying used mobile home - Posted by CB

Posted by CB on March 12, 2001 at 12:53:43:

I have two acres with a mobile home, and found another one that I want to move next to the existing MH. I have county approval to do it. The MH I want to buy is a 1987 model in very good condition in a park. It has 5 bdrms and 3 baths and is a 24x66. The owner was asking $21,000 and went down to $17,000. There are two large decks front and back and a small deck at the laundry room. A new shed goes with it also. It has a new roof and added insulation. There is a fireplace in the great room. I have to move it 80 miles and the cost will be around $6,000 to move it. I will have to grade the land and put in a septic, elec. and water. The home is total electric which I wasn’t sure I would like until I had to deal with a gas bill of $1.29 a therm this winter. I live in Atlanta where we had the coldest winter in 10 years this year. The only fault that I can tell in the home is a soft spot in the floor by the washer and by the master tub that the owner showed me. I’m guessing that would not be too expensive to fix. I have never bought a mobile home and moved it. Am I paying too much for it should I try to pay less for it? The owner is very motivated, but I want to be fair, yes…I’m a woman. I plan to rent one home and live in the other one with roommates who will also pay rent. I want to retire in the next 8 to 10 years and have some extra income. My money is coming from a second morg.,creative financing and I’ll be paying high interest rates for awhile, and plan to refinance the whole property in a year to a lower interest rate…hopefully. Any seasoned advice would be welcome on my plan, prices, whatever anyone can see that I might need to rethink or adjust. I hope you got through this long msg. and have some advice.
Thanks,
CB