Need Advice on Dividing Property - Posted by LarryC

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 15, 2000 at 13:02:15:


Make a trip to your local planning office. Check the current zoning. You need to verify that the property is zoned for the type of use you propose, e.g. residential/mobile home, plus whatever use the building will have. Hopefully no rezoning will be necessary since this is an existing use. The requirements of the appropriate zoning district will determine factors like minimum lot size, frontage and access requirements, etc. There will also be setback provisions that you need to be aware of before drawing the new lot lines.

Then you will need to consult the subdivision ordinance for the technical requirements for subdividing the land. Some jurisdictions do not require a survey, though I would highly recommend you do so whether required or not. Usually a local surveyor is familiar with the requirements of the juricsdiction, and can be a great help in guiding you through the process.

In most cases, getting a subdivision plat approved is an administrative approval type of matter, and will not require public hearings, planning commission approval, etc. You may want to take the oppportunity to get a copy of the zoning and subdivision ordinances, and the comprehensive plan while you are there. The information contained in those documents can make you, or save you, a fortune if you learn how to apply it.

In my experience, just walking into the planning department and asking for help is all that is needed to get the information you need. Treat them like people who can make you a lot of money, because the information they are sitting on is of utmost importance to anyone involved in real estate investment.

Good luck,

Need Advice on Dividing Property - Posted by LarryC

Posted by LarryC on January 15, 2000 at 08:38:33:

Thanks for a great site. I derive a lot of help and inspiration from you all.

I am just finishing a rehab on a SFD that is on two acres.
On the back of the two(acres) there is a lot with a MH that just
recently burned. There is a 40X60 building on on side of the property.

I wish to sell all three of these seperately after i put another MH on the lot. I have a buyer for the building.

What do i need to do to make this happen? I have a mortgage at the bank which the sale of the house will pay off.

Thanks in advance for the great advice. Larry