Need Advice on Getting Started - Posted by Pat Moore

Posted by Terry Noble on May 19, 1999 at 13:35:50:

Hello everyone…:slight_smile:

I am also in the postion of being a new person to RE, I’m studing everything I can to educate myself and get ready to “leap” into the world of Real Estate.

But, while reading this exchange of information regarding the lady/couple who are at a cross-road in their lives, I am amazed at the support/help that she and others are given by complete strangers on this site! It is a very comforting thing to read the out pouring of help and assistance freely given by the experienced people who make their living in this arena. I cannot say enough good things to cover all of the people who have helped total strangers with their knowlege in an area where you can run into serious money and legal problems without good guidence.

I sincerley beleive the couple will make a great comeback in their RE trials and tribulation efforts. It will be in part to the efforts of this site and the MANY people who add to its value by helping so many “newbies”, all of you should take a great deal of pride in knowing the good you have done for so many.

Good luck to you all…:slight_smile:

Terry Noble(Ga.)

Need Advice on Getting Started - Posted by Pat Moore

Posted by Pat Moore on May 17, 1999 at 12:36:12:

My husband and I took A Lease Purchase Menitor course about a year ago and we have not done 1 deal with it, except read it and put aside and say “we can’t do that”. FEAR I GUESS. Well 2 weeks ago I lost my job in a Home Health Agency. I had been there 5 years, but all a sudden under a new Director I was not doing my job as it should be. also 6 other long time employees were given their walking papers and new people have been brought in. My husband will lose his job of 15 years at the end of the month, due to business closing after 60 years. Well we are in a mess to say the least. Jobs are hard to come by around here even for me as a nurse. We need to do something to have a better life. We need to use the course ( that we sold a car, so we could buy ) and do something. But even tho the course told us all the great things and great advantages of Lease Purchase, we still don’t understand the steps of 1,2,3, etc of how to get started. There are alot of homes here that are for sale by owner, but due to our fear or lack of know how we still just sit and wish we could do it.Any advice on steps to get started would be so much appreciated. We are sinking fast ( as we have very little savings ). Sorry for the hard luck story, but everyday my husband says " get us into a business " and everyday I say " I want to I just don’t know how to get started". Thanks for your time and hope to read from anyone with any advice or those 1,2,3 steps I need,to get started in lease purchasing, to improve our life.
Pat Moore

LPxperts@aol.com

Re: Need Advice on Getting Started - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on May 18, 1999 at 12:09:55:

Pat,

I believe in being practical so here is what I recommend. Take it anyway you want.

Whoever is the most motivated about RE needs to get into it quickly. The other spouse needs to get a job or something to pay bills and put food on the table. Real estate is not usually something a brand new person can get into and have loads of cash or cash flow in just a few weeks. There is a big educational process that must take place.

I don’t know who your RE course is from, but assuming it is someone decent, I would go through that entire course a few more times. I would also read through all the creonline “how to articles” that relate to lease options or whatever niche you wish to establish. Then, I would follow some of Chris’s (below) advice and take action to start dealing in RE immediately. Don’t procrastinate anymore. Your post shows what can happen if you wait and wait and wait. As you start doing deals, come to the newsgroup or the chatroom with questions. There are many knowledgeable people here who will give you good advice.

You can do anything you set your mind to. The key word is “do” because you have to do something to make it happen. Best wishes.

Baltimore Bird Dog Post . . . - Posted by Reif

Posted by Reif on May 18, 1999 at 24:23:35:

I thought I had saved it, I can’t find it and the search mode is under construction.

I think BBD’s post on getting started from a few month’s back is worth repeating if someone can find it and repost it.

Reif

The Secret to Success is… “Taking Action” - Posted by Chris Spohr

Posted by Chris Spohr on May 17, 1999 at 13:47:39:

Pat,

Step 1 - Take Action!
Step 2 - Take Action!
Step 3 - Take Action!

Learn from your experiences and make corrections. You don’t need a college degree to do this. But you must take action. Don’t look for reasons not to start. Look for reasons to start and again: “take action!”

Now that I think you get the message…

Using your L/O course

1. Start your buying campaign - run an ad that you buy/lease houses
  2. Be prepared to screen potential sellers/deals - you are looking for “MOTIVATED SELLERS”
  3. Have your contracts (Lease/Options/Purchase/Etc) ready and get a deal going.
  4. Start your sell campaign - run an AD that begins “Rent to Own” - be prepared to screen for serious qualified tenant/buyers. You’re not going to believe the volume of calls you are going to receive.
  5. Ink the deal and collect your money
  6. Keep good records

Have a great day,

Chris

PS Accept that you will make mistakes along the, learn from them and get on with it - Take Action!

Re: The Secret to Success is… “Taking Action” - Posted by Elton Allen

Posted by Elton Allen on May 17, 1999 at 14:07:19:

Hi Pat!

You are now in a wonderful position!! You will find that in life there are two things that tend to motivate us. It is either inspiration or disperation. Right now the inspiration has gone away, but you are currently living behind despiration, which is a good thing.

Knowing that your back is against the wall should push you to take action. I started out just like you, afraid but know that if I could just do that one I would be on a roll.

It will take you reviewing your materials, and just leaping in with both feet. You will never succeed, if you never get started. The money is out there, use the knowledge that you have been given. And you can make it happen.

Go forward!! You will find that you have plenty of support, and assistance at this site!! But you have to do the work… Look at your life now!! If you want to be better off, realestate can make it happen, but only if you work it… write often and I will help you where I can… I do a lot of lease/options… and I’m willing to hold your hand if you are willing to walk with me!! Because you and your husband can do it!!!

-E-