Need advice on parents home - Rent or Sell? - Posted by Buddy

Posted by Dave T on March 12, 2000 at 20:30:55:

No response needed, but I just wanted to post some questions for your thoughtful consideration. Your answers to these questions may suggest the better course of action for you.

Are you sure that you will inherit the home? Perhaps they have created a charitable remainder trust or plan to leave the house to their favorite charity.

What is the state of your parents estate? That is, do they have (or might they have) large medical bills or other debts that will necessitate selling the house to satisfy creditors?

Do your parents have sufficient income to meet their living/medical expenses, or are they planning to take out a reverse mortgage to convert the equity in the house into a lifetime annuity?.

If you inherit, do you have large debts that will necessitate selling the house to satisfy creditors? If not, do you want to be a landlord?

Is your parent’s neighborhood stable and holding property values? Is the neighborhood a desirable location and expected to be so in the future? Are the schools in the neighborhood rated highly.

What would you do with the money if you sold the house that you could not do with the cash flow if you held it as a rental?

Need advice on parents home - Rent or Sell? - Posted by Buddy

Posted by Buddy on March 12, 2000 at 18:21:42:

My parents own their home free and clear and due to their age and illnesses I need to be ready for the day when I inherit this house. The home is your typical “bread and butter” home and is in a nice area, close to schools and shopping. They have put thousands of dollars into it to remodel every room in the house. There’s new bathrooms, carpet, and kitchen. I could rent the home for $1400 a month or sell it for $172,000. Would it be better to just sell the home or rent it? My only concern with renting it is that the house has been completely remodeled and even the best tenants will cause wear and tear on the property. Advice please?