Need advice - Posted by RSummers-PA

Posted by RSummers-PA on October 14, 2003 at 08:18:40:

First, thank you for the responses.
The problem is that I cannot get any information from the seller. I’ve barely spoken with her. And I do not think there is a mortgage. I think there is a lien from a nursing home and I think she also took some kind of loan out against the home. I thought about doing a title search, but I just wanted to know if there was any other way to find this information out. Thanks

Need advice - Posted by RSummers-PA

Posted by RSummers-PA on October 13, 2003 at 21:14:59:

Hello. I need some advice. I just found out about someone who has decided to walk away from their home. Supposedly they owe aprox. $40,000 and they cannot afford to pay it, so they have decided to just walk away. I have decided to try to offer them something for the home so that they do not walk away empty handed, and then pay off the debt. The home is worth aprox. $80,000+. It is located in Montgomery County, PA. Before I make the offer, I want to make sure of the exact amount owed. Can you please give me some advice on how to go about finding out this information? I tried the owner but they are unsure. I have aprox. 20 days to get this taken care of. I want to go to the county courthouse and try to find out the info, but I am unsure about how exactly to do this. I do not have much time, and this could end up being a good deal, so any help would be greatly apreciated. Please either post here or email me at rsummers@seic.com. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need advice - Posted by Dimpil

Posted by Dimpil on October 14, 2003 at 05:04:07:

Ask them for the mortgage company name and call the mortgage company.

Do a title search to see if anything else is on title.

Re: Need advice - Posted by Wm-Pa

Posted by Wm-Pa on October 13, 2003 at 23:19:02:

Send me a message, I will give you the website for Montgomery County’s Tax web site. You can find out what liens and debts are owed by the owner. Take the “nospam” out of my email address and send me a message.
Good Luck,
Wm-Pa

Re: Need advice - Posted by SteveG_Pa

Posted by SteveG_Pa on October 13, 2003 at 21:21:15:

Id have to say the most straight forward thing to do is call the bank, with the seller on the phone. Or get an authorization to release info and fax it to the bank, while on the phone with them, theyll tell ya the balance.

Re: Need advice - Posted by Nancy PA

Posted by Nancy PA on October 14, 2003 at 20:56:49:

I was learning title search in Montgomery County’s recording office. It looks like they are around 6 months behind in recording new morgages/equity loans due to the high volume of refinance and transactions recently… I noticed the my own home equity loan from 3 months ago was not recorded… so I would think calling the morgage/bank would be the best way…
just a thought, will credit check be able to pull out new debts before the county record has it on file?

Re: Need advice - Posted by RSummers

Posted by RSummers on October 14, 2003 at 08:22:13:

I have emailed you. Thank you.

Re: Need advice - Posted by David B

Posted by David B on October 14, 2003 at 07:08:26:

What about an equity loan that was placed on the property a month or two ago and that hasn’t been recorded yet (recordings can take many months). I recently sold a townhome and I had done just such a thing. Got a $30K equity line and when I went to the closing neither lawyer had the $30K in the closing papers. I could’ve closed and not have paid off the loan, it would’ve been the buyer’s headache. Of course, I told them and it was included, but somebody else could easily skip town.