Need assumption help ASAP!!! - Posted by HT
Posted by HT on October 25, 2000 at 13:27:11:
I apologize in advance for the length, but it is needed to provide the pertinant info. I am in dire need of assistance on a possible assumption of a property.
I acquired a property which I had on a L/O to a tenant with questionable credit. While I was able to acquire option money and all my rents, when it was time to exercise the option, her credit only allowed her to qualify for a 75% mortgage (far short of our agreed purchase price and my profit margin).
This wouldn’t be a problem if I wanted to hold a second, but I don’t. While her loan amount was short of our purchase price, it is just enough to cover my own loan, which opens up the option to let her assume my loan (I believe since she qualified for one mortgage, she should qualify with my mortgage co for the same amount?)
The problem is, that I want some cash out of this deal! My suggestion to her was to take a short term signature loan from her credit union to cash me out of the loan (hence providing the cash I want)and I will provide her with a lower sale price and interest rate than she qualified on her own.
The tricky part is that if she gets the signature loan before she assumes the mortgage, when the mortgage company runs her credit, her increased debt ratio will lower the amount she would qualify for, thus killing the deal. In essence, she can probably qualify for one loan but not two.
Is there anyway I can work around this to let her qualify for the assumption and be able to get the cash I want?
The only solution I can come up with is to write up the assumption paperwork for the exact value of my loan and then write a separate promisary note for the cash amount I want with the agreement that it must be paid prior to the completion of the assumption or the property is forfeited back to me.
I figure that by having the loans separate, that I’ll be able to have her qualify for the assumption and have a legal document holding her liable to provide me with the agreed upon cash amount. This would leave her with the responsibility to get the money by whatever means she sees fit or return the property. Can I get burned with this option?
Any thoughts, feedback or suggestions on my problem or suggested solution would be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: I’ve got to have this completed by December.