Need help with MOLD! - Posted by DavidMc

Posted by DavidMc on September 11, 2003 at 17:45:30:

Would mold prevent you from buying a house? What if it is in the duct work, can it be remediated?

Need help with MOLD! - Posted by DavidMc

Posted by DavidMc on September 11, 2003 at 15:26:02:

Does anyone experience with household mold? I am looking at a couple houses that have mold on the walls. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Can this be fixed or should I pass on the houses? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Re: Need help with MOLD! - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on September 11, 2003 at 16:12:29:

Check for source of moisture that is promoting the mold growth. Once located eliminate. Second use a bleach solution to kill the mold after you scrape it from the walls. You need to check the ductwork if it is a forced hot air system to insure no mold growth in the system. If this is the case be sure you include any contamination clean up cost in your offer.

Re: Need help with MOLD! - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on September 11, 2003 at 16:10:05:

The subject of mold is a frequent one for this board, almost every week. It depends on the severity of the problem, there are several ?Professional Services? generally available in the local area, but if it?s not too bad it can be easily remedied by first making sure the source of the moisture is stopped then dry out the area possibility with a dehumidifier.

Wash the area with a general purpose household cleaner and re-paint with ?KILZ? available at your local paint store. KILZ will seal the area and prevent the mold from coming through the new paint. Not a serious problem easily corrected for less than $100.