Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by SusanL.--FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 07, 2000 at 14:47:33:

since this ‘little problem’ affects him directly.

His wife runs a daycare out of her house so they are both a bit frantic.

(The 2 neighbors have been feuding for years [the McCoys and the Hatfields]). Looks like she finally lowered the boom on him!

I’ve met her and she isn’t playing with a full deck.

Hey! I could always set up a little toll booth in my pasture! :slight_smile:

Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 07, 2000 at 10:35:23:

What I would like to get hold of is the book that is handed out in the real estate school classes–covering the rules and regs. of that particular state.

(I still have mine from PA but want to see what is applicable to Fla.)

I called the local County Board of Realtors—said that what they had available was only for the realtors ($250).

Orlando Assn. of Realtors didn’t have anything and didn’t know the name of it.

I got a frantic call on Friday from my neighbor (Dick) who lives directly behind my property. About 4 of us use an access road that runs along my pasture fence. It is owned solely by one resident. The owner suddenly has a bug up her butt (the feuding McCoys!) and now intends to fence off her property, INCLUDING the road, which will deny everybody access to it. I think 3 out of 4 of us do have a second exit from our properties to the street except for poor Dick. :slight_smile: This is his only one and he has been using her road for over 20 years.

He DOES own 20 feet along my fenceline which is a ditch (for “runoff’) – HOWEVER, his waterline is (I think) 18” under the surface.

He would have to spend considerable $$ to make a road. We all got letters this past Friday from her lawyer and we have 3 weeks to act.

P.S. At the owner’s written request, we have also helped to pay for the maintenance (over the years) on this road.

I think I still have her letter.

I was reading up on prescriptive easements, emminent domain, etc. but would like to research it in a Fla. ‘rule’ book.

Thanks if anyone knows the name of the book! :slight_smile:

What I’d do… - Posted by steve

Posted by steve on February 09, 2000 at 15:13:39:

I’d have my attorney ‘blow smoke’ (as others have suggested)about a prescriptive easement, and suggest that if I were to prevail in a lawsuit, it could make the easement OF RECORD, which I’m sure she wouldn’t want. Then I’d calmly suggest that she and the Hatfields find a more constructive way to work out their differences. One that didn’t affect me.

Thanks for all the information everybody! - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 08, 2000 at 08:14:56:

You guys are the greatest!

Not only were you able to help my neighbor, but my co-worker also benefitted from the info. She happened to notice the various ‘legal’ sites that were mentioned in the posts and asked what they were. I passed them along to her, and she was able to do some research for her Mom, who is having r.e. problems.

GREAT info! Thanx again for being there for me.

Susan

Legal research and info. - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on February 08, 2000 at 24:06:45:

www.findlaw.com and lawcrawler are some good legal sites. There are more links at Bill Bronchick’s site also (www.legalwiz.com).

I just looked up some statutes relating to prescriptive easements through “Lawcrawler” and posted to another post on this board - about Adverse Possession.

There is no question after 20 years that there is a prescriptive easement, but you will likely need to have an attorney “rattle the saber” a little and blast the other attorney with some facts - and threats.

It IS Illigal - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on February 07, 2000 at 19:21:09:

I am a deputy in Florida and I have delt with problems like this before. When the time comes, you will need to contact Law Enforcement because there is a statue against this. they might be able to take it to court and get a order, but this will take some time. I would also do what the others are stating, get a lawyer quick. They can tie it up in paperwork fast. And what ever you do do not let it get to the point of fighting. I have seen that before also and that in Florida is an afray and that my friend is why you need an lawyer.

They can’t block access - Posted by Marc Donovan

Posted by Marc Donovan on February 07, 2000 at 15:42:16:

See http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/documents/statutes/StatuteBrowser99/index.cfm?mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0704/titl0704.htm

The attorney is blowing smoke.

Re: Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 07, 2000 at 12:38:37:

The salesman’s license book is by authored by Gaines & Coleman. I forget the name.

The broker’s book is published by the state of Florida. You may want to contact the Florida real estate commission in Orlando. (Not the Realtors.)

In reality, you don’t need a book. You need a title search to verify that you do in fact have legal access. If you have legal access over this easement, you would most likely need to get an injuction against this disgruntled property owner. Do you have a title policy that guarantees legal access to your property?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/documents/statutes/index.html - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 07, 2000 at 11:39:15:

Try this.

Re: Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 07, 2000 at 11:26:37:

You don’t have much time. If this is very important to you or your neighbors you need to consult a good FL. RE ATTY. (You could all chip in for the fee)

Re: Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by FJW

Posted by FJW on February 07, 2000 at 11:11:32:

You can probably find some material, if not the materials specifically, at your local library. Also, you can research the FL statutes at:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/

Good Luck

Re: Need name of book on Florida Laws/Rules 'n Regs. - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on February 07, 2000 at 11:06:21:

Susan:
I don’t know the name. There is the Florida Statutes online but I don’t think that is what you want. Would you like the number of my RE atty? He is Ft Laud and very smart and speaks in lay language. You may have met him if you go to the lunch meetings in Broward. Please email me directly if you want his number.
Sandy

Thanx! That’s great info. (nt) - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 07, 2000 at 14:52:16:

nt

Re: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/citizen/documents/statutes/index.html - Posted by William E. Swales

Posted by William E. Swales on March 13, 2000 at 05:54:29:

I am hunting for a copy of a living will. The St. Petersburg Times listed this site as a vehicle to get one, actually two. Can you let me know how I can secure them?