Need reference materials on running Motel? - Posted by JD

Posted by GJ on March 22, 2000 at 22:14:04:

Don’t overlook singles. We have had great luck with older single people as managers. One way you can check the rents is to hire a seperate person to clean the rooms. If they are charging you a lot of hours and the managers are saying there was only a few rooms - you have a problem. You can also check by the number of quarters in the washers, if you have a landry mat with the motel. We have also had good luck by paying on volume. If it is a small motel, you have to sell people on staying there. If the managers get more $, they do a much better job of selling. I will need to look at the exact % but I would guess about 75% of our business is credit card.

Try to find someone local if you can.

Need reference materials on running Motel? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on March 22, 2000 at 18:27:31:

Will be aquiring a motel in a few days via a foreclosure. I have never owned a Motel before. I dont expect the former owner to be helpful with regard to telling me the ins and outs of the business. It is 14 units, mountain area, predominately weekend business Oct-May, full week in Summer. I could not find any appropriate books at the bookstore (found one on running a Bed & Breakfast, but this does not fit into that category). Anyone know of any good reference materials?

Re: Need reference materials on running Motel? - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on March 23, 2000 at 08:16:03:

Read the Money-making idea under the title: “Cashing in on Roadside Motels,” might find it helpful.

This book may be helpful to you. - Posted by Thurman

Posted by Thurman on March 23, 2000 at 24:31:30:

JD,

Go to eBay and look up #290135738 (Planning & Operating a motel & Motor Hotel)

Hope this helps.

Your friend,

Thurman

Re: Need reference materials on running Motel? - Posted by GJ

Posted by GJ on March 22, 2000 at 21:09:29:

Don’t know of any books but willing to help with your questions.

Re: Need reference materials on running Motel? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on March 22, 2000 at 22:06:10:

My biggest question at this time is who to get to run the place (I live 2 hours away). There is a 1200 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath house apartment attached to the motel office. Is it reasonable to think that I could hire a couple to handle everything during the off season with possibly some part time help for them in the summer? And/or adjust their pay according to the volume? Also what steps should I take to make sure they dont pocket all the daily rents (what % of people pay cash/check/charge?).