Need some advice - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Joe Kaiser on March 31, 1999 at 02:13:06:

No one is really ever “sure” of the numbers. Frankly, there are too many unknowns initially to really be sure of much of anything . . . but that simply does not matter.

We make offers even though we don’t know the whole story, and we make them quickly and without a lot of dinking around because we know if it turns out to be a really good deal, while we’re out trying to reassure ourselves of the numbers some other fellow is out there writing it up for himself.

Meet with the seller, put a deal together and then (and only then) spend a week checking things out. Actually, you don’t even really need to do that. Just spent the week marketing it for more than you’re paying (hopefully, a lot more) and if someone bites, you do your original deal. If no one’s interested, then your number may in fact be too high. As such, you just tell the seller “oops” and you tear up your deal.

I spend very little time “making sure of my numbers.” I’m not in that business. My job is to make the best deal possible with the limited amount of knowledge I have about the property, and then let everyone else figure out if it was a “good deal.” When they say “I want it,” that’s pretty much all I needed to know anyway and my number must have been in the ballpark.

Some people spend lots of time analyzing every single aspect of every property they encounter. Doesn’t seem like a lot of fun to me.

Joe

Need some advice - Posted by Jeff

Posted by Jeff on March 30, 1999 at 01:36:06:

Hi everyone,

My name is jeff. I am new to real estate
investing and had a question or two. I just
finished the CS course and found that he is a
little vague.

Being new to investing, I am trying to get as
much knowledge as possible. I am presently
reading Ron Legrand’s “Fast Cash with
Quick-Turn Real Estate”, it’s a great book.

I have been tossing around the idea of
purchasing Ron’s self-study course by the same
name, is it as good as his book?

I have been to the edge (about to make an
offer), but I got nervous because I wasn’t
sure of my numbers. I guess a little more
knowledge will take care of that. Sorry for
the lengthy post, but I am excited and need
some advice to make the jump.

Any and all suggestions will be highly
appreciated.

thanxs