NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by Anthony Henry

Posted by Anthony Henry on March 20, 2000 at 11:09:13:

Yes and No Chris. There is rent control. But remember Section 8 tells you upfront what they will give you for your rental units. In my case and lots of others, the section 8 rents are actually about 20-40 above market right now. I think Im beginning to understand why. See in NYC we have a severe shortage of apartments. I have friends that list apartment listings and believe its no joke. Definately a landlord market lol.

Anthony Henry

NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by Anthony Henry

Posted by Anthony Henry on March 18, 2000 at 17:11:10:

Hello Everyone Im a newbie to this site, stumbled on this site by sheer luck or fate whichever. Im a beginning RE Investor in New York, Im actually closing on my first property a Four Family in Far Rockaway. The PLAN, to rent it out via Section 8. I’ve done all the research on the propery and the numbers work out fabulously. But here is where I’m stuck Ive been trying to get as much info on Section 8, the rules regarding tenancy, how long does the process take on a whole, from signing up to having them come out and check the property. Also what do they really check for on their checklist. If anyone is doing this her in NY and Im sure there are. I would appreciate some thorough input. And thanks in advance to all responses.

Anthony Henry
Looking to retire in 3 to 5 yrs…

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by T jent

Posted by T jent on March 19, 2000 at 23:57:17:

I have a building that is 80% Sec 8 tenants. There is a certain amount of red tape. The Housing Department will do an inspection to make sure the building is habitable/up to code. This is pretty easy to pass due to the fact that with the current housing crunch, at least in LA where I am, there is a major shortage of Sec. 8s available, and their aim right now is to facilitate things, not make them harder.

There is also paperwork to fill out and submit. The applicant does most of this but I believe some has to be done by the landlord (I seem to recall my wife telling me I had to sign something).

Then, after everything is approved, and the tenant moves in, there is, for no particular reason other than typical beauracratic foot-dragging, a lag of several weeks before the first check (along with security deposit) arrives. But from there on in, the checks come like clockwork; and after enduring a few episodes of rent default/eviction any landlord can understand the bliss of not having to worry about that.

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by GIO

Posted by GIO on March 19, 2000 at 18:47:07:

my partner does sec 8 rentals here in ny - give me a call and i’ll hook you up - he can answer your quest and get you the tenants - 516-775-8470

There’s post from March 16 ABOUT SECTION 8 below…(NT) - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 19, 2000 at 14:22:30:

nt

I have had GREAT success with Section 8 - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on March 18, 2000 at 18:26:35:

Remember YOU screen the tenants. Be patient.

I like to find older single adults for my properties. I usually visit where they live currently and that is big deciding factor of them becoming my tenant.

You’ll hear some horror stories. Section 8 is great unless you let them control you and if YOU get impatient to find a tenant.

Scott

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 18, 2000 at 18:21:42:

I would call your local Section 8 agency and introduce yourself to them. They will give you all the info you need.

Laure :wink:

Re: Be careful! - Posted by Johnny

Posted by Johnny on March 18, 2000 at 18:16:47:

I rented a home to section 8 - it was a nightmare. Many new investors are attracted to section 8 because of the high rents you can charge and that they’re guaranteed by the government. Here’s the problem I noticed when screening section 8 tenants. First, all of them were single moms with several kids. They had bad jobs (i.e. McDonalds) and some were trying to kick drug habits. The tenant I had took good care of the property but didn’t pay the utilities - heat, water, electricity. Well guess what? The utility companies turned off everything. And then those guaranteed checks stopped coming in. You know why? In order for the government to pay you, you have to provide a liveable environment for the tenant. Since my tenant was sitting in a house in the dead of winter with no heat, the government stopped sending me my check. Thus, I had to pay all of the back payments on the utilities to get everthing turned on again. It was a nightmare - thus I don’t do section 8 anymore. Just be careful.

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by Anthony Henry

Posted by Anthony Henry on March 20, 2000 at 07:47:39:

Well T jent I would like to thank you and all the others who responded to my inquiry. Here in NYC we too have a shortage of viable apartments in all sectors. So I think we have the same situation as you guys. And you are soo right after researching the pros and cons I just had to agree that yes Section 8 was the way to go. Obviously with proper screening and follow ups on your rentals every month if not week, you should be able to make this situation work quite well. Well atleast this was how I arrived at my decision anyway.

Anthony Henry
Just tryin to retire in 3-5 yrs :slight_smile:

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by Anthony Henry

Posted by Anthony Henry on March 19, 2000 at 19:06:28:

Hey GIO this is exactly what I mean. Its amazin how you guys stick together here. :O).
I will definately give you a call. And THANKS A MILLION.

Re: NEED TO KNOW ALL ABOUT SECTION 8 - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 20, 2000 at 08:03:39:

Anthony-

In NYC don’t you also have rent control to work with?

-Chris