Negative friends - Posted by Jay

Posted by K Greene on May 04, 2000 at 22:23:08:

They come wrapped or disquised in different packages. Continue to persist, read books on wealth creating skills, and if you fall down 7 times get up eight. The won’t mind cashing the checks.

Negative friends - Posted by Jay

Posted by Jay on May 03, 2000 at 10:21:05:

Hi Guys, as I await Lonnie’s books, which should be here
today or tomorrow, I was telling some friends on what I was about to do. They had all kinds of objections. Like, no one wants to live in a mobile, the PM will charge you more than the rest, no one will buy from you, etc. Also that the people saying they are doing it, actually would not be telling you if they were and people like Lonnie actually do not do all of the deals they say they do, they’re just selling information and getting rich off of people like me. It was very disturbing. I know you should not listen to people like that, but he’s doing way better than me. He works all the time and that’s what he believes in, working for every dime. He owns rental property as well. Did any of you guys have rejections from your friends before you started?

Jay

All of you are missing the whole point - Its supposed to work this way !!! - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on May 04, 2000 at 12:53:07:

Listen, I have a story thats a mile long and full of these situations.

What we have to realize is that IF all your peers are against this, then IT MUST BE RIGHT !!!

Did you ever watch George Costanza (Seinfeld) on the episode where he finally realized that every thought and every instinct that he had was wrong and his new approach was to do just the opposite. It was hilarious. It started when he went up to an attractive girl and said “Hi, My name is George, I live with my parents and I’m unemployed”.

You see, I have a brother in law that has made fun of me for years. I use him as an indicator of whether or not I should go ahead with a deal. If he says “No, I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot pole” then I know I’m on the right track and I go for it. He scared me to death a year ago - he said he was considering investing in revenue properties - I thought “oh Oh - thats it - its time to sell off everything”. Thank God, he didn’t follow through on that one.

There are those out there who are supposed to be supportive but in fact they aren’t. Its not their fault. They have bought into the line that they should go to work for 45 years and they will get the gold watch and the ham sandwich at the end of the day.

Well, my friends, we have to decide. Do we want to be a slave to the clock, putting in our eight hours a day; waiting for the lunch bell to go off; take a coffee break and plays cards in the lunch room and complain about the government; get in our 3 year old overpriced car and drive home to supper, the news, and a nap in the “lazzzy boy”. And pray that after 25 years we are finally going to get out of debt and we will own this “little peice of heaven”. Hows that for a goal - to get out of debt - to be broke !!!

Well, thats not what God put us on this earth for. We are race horses bred to run and to win. Go for it. And take every snide and negative comment that you will get from everyone outside of this newsgroup and put it in a little place in your mind; then when things are so bad that you want to throw in the towel and give up this crazy dream and get a “real job”; then you pull out one or two of these negative comments and then you say "I’ll do this if it kills me ".

And then, when you reach your goals and you have beautiful cash flow properties and your “passive” income exceeds your work income, then you will be graceful and just smile when your no- good-negative thinking- sheep- stealing- brother in law says “this real estate stuff doesn’t work”.

“Yeah you’re right I guess it doesn’t”. Smile :slight_smile:

Re: Negative friends - Posted by Dan in Missouri

Posted by Dan in Missouri on May 03, 2000 at 23:14:25:

I understand perfectly where you are coming from. My family is very conservative by nature and my mom found out from a local lender that I had took money out to buy a mobile home. That was three years ago. Well that first deal I made 2500 and I just did another and I made 3500 on this one. So now they are less skeptical and I just tell them how can they give me advice on something they know little about and have never done nor would attempt to do so. Just the fact that I am willing to go out and do these Lonnie deals puts me a step ahead of them anyways…
Dan

You’re going to start buying and selling what? - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on May 03, 2000 at 16:40:55:

When I was in high school, a friend of mine was making fun of me for wanting to go to college. She said that she knew someone who went to college, but couldn’t find a job. And a couple other people she knew started college but dropped out. Her opinion was that college doesn’t work and is a waste of money, that I was stupid for even wanting to go.

She was my friend and was trying to give me good advice. The problem was she didn’t have any idea what she was talking about.

Right before I started doing mobile home deals a couple months ago, I didn’t tell anyone except my wife. I didn’t know for sure if it was going to work out for me, and I didn’t want to have to explain to anyone what went wrong it it didn’t. And I didn’t ask for anyone’s opinion if they thought it would work. Why should I take advice from someone who doesn’t know anything about what I was about to do?

Three months later, I’m telling everybody, because I can wave results at anyone who thinks its hinky. Your friend who own’s rentals is probably just looking out for you. But I’ll bet it won’t be long before he asks if he can borrow your copy of Deals on Wheels. (Tell him to buy his own copy. Lonnie’s counting on his 30 bucks to get rich)

Good luck, and keep posting.

Karl Kleiner

The best Revenge… - Posted by soapymac

Posted by soapymac on May 03, 2000 at 14:15:15:

is success.

Most negative people have negative minds already made up, so don’t confuse them with the facts you are going to learn from Lonnie’s books. Besides, when you’ve done something it ain’t bragging to tell about it when it is fact.

Do a deal. Do a couple of them. And when the neggies say you can’t do that or it won’t work here, just smile and ask them these three questions:

1. Where were you, financially, five years ago?

2. Are you at the same point now?

3. Where will you be, financially, five years from now?

When you tell them you are going to do something, let them laugh. After you’ve done the deals, let them laugh. When they come to you to borrow some money, just make sure that it is a good deal for you…and laugh all the way to the bank!

Success is the best revenge…no matter HOW LONG it takes you to succeed.

Cordially,
Roy MacLean
“soapymac”

Re: Negative friends - Posted by Tim (Atlanta)

Posted by Tim (Atlanta) on May 03, 2000 at 11:53:06:

You know, its funny. I am sure we all have had similar experiences with friends and family. My wife told me that I would mess up and we would loose everything. That was 3 years ago. She became much more positive after I made $25,000 cash on my first deal.

You must understand their point of view. If you prove that it can be done, then they have no more excuses. They can’t sit on the sideline and do nothing anymore. They are afraid to get out and do something, for fear that they will fail and look stupid.

My friends still shake their heads when I talk real estate. They just don’t get it. That’s ok, we can still talk about other things while they stay in their comfort zone.

You just stay determined! This can and does work. You have to make it happen.

Re: Negative friends - Posted by JHyre in Ohio

Posted by JHyre in Ohio on May 03, 2000 at 11:33:09:

My parents thought I was nuts. “You wanna invest in WHAT? Are you crazy?”

That reaction is what keeps competition low. That reaction changed to “Want Cash?” once they saw the numbers…

John Hyre

Stay positive! - Posted by CH-CA

Posted by CH-CA on May 03, 2000 at 10:58:58:

Man, that?s totally lame, but somewhat expected. Not to say that your friends are bad people, but they sound like they are programmed a certain way. You know what I am talking about.

I?m fairly new in both the realm of RE and MHs. However, I feel that I am doing quite well. I own 3 homes and 1 duplex (in less than 6 months) and I am looking at my 1st mobile. Anyway, that?s good too me. I?m not bragging, I just want to point out that I did this DISPITE what some of my friends thought.

I, too faced this opposition. Some even told me that I wouldn?t be able to find a good deal as a primary home. I chuckle at that every time I walk in my front door. Of course, these same people think even worse when it comes to mobiles. Their train of thought coincides with your friends almost exactly. I get it every time I am around them.

The funny thing is that most of them don?t even own a primary, let alone investment properties. None of them have ever spent any time investigating even one place to stick their money (except in the bank). They have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and yet they talk as if they are experts.

You know what else is funny? One of my friends has recently called me and asked me to help them find a home. Not so skeptical anymore.

I believe that time will certainly continue to show these people they are wrong. I want them to take better care of their financial future. I will gladly help those that turn from their evil ways, but if they choose to keep doing what they are doing, so be it. I?m not going to let that stop me. (:

BTW, Lonnie has friends like this too!

HTH,

CH

PS, one more thing. The more skeptics that are out there, the greater chance you have for success. Nobody else really wants to do it, so I guess you have to. (:

Re: Negative friends - Posted by Michelle

Posted by Michelle on May 03, 2000 at 10:56:19:

Jay,

I’m hearing the exact same things from my spouse and family. “If it was that easy, everybody would be doing it”. My husband says I’ll just end up with a dump mobile home and no one to buy it. Well, we’ll see. I’m getting Lonnie’s info and I’ll do my due diligence. I think (I’m hoping) that this could be a really lucrative business for the careful investor who covers all the bases first. I’m a stay at home mom with three little kids and have no intention of going back to a 9-5 job trading dollars for hours. I want to do like Lonnie says and have my dollars do the work for me (with help from me, of course!) Anyway, anybody else with positive comments would be appreciated…not getting any positive feedback here at home! :slight_smile: Here’s wishing us both luck and great deals, Jay.

Michelle

Re: All of you are missing the whole point - Its supposed to work this way !!! - Posted by Steve(NY)

Posted by Steve(NY) on May 05, 2000 at 17:26:34:

Wonderful post John!

-Steve

Re: Negative spouses - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on May 03, 2000 at 13:02:06:

Hi Michelle,

I get basically the same thing from my wife, only in a more subtle way. She says she prays for success, but I think her prayers are based on fear, not faith. All she can see so far is the cost, and can’t comprehend what the future could be with a successful business.

Face the fact that you’re going to make mistakes, and that you’ll hear about it when you do. Lord knows I’ve made enough already! But I’m convinced it will work, and getting over the hump on that first deal will hopefully do the same with our spouses. Until then, they won’t leave their comfort zones quietly, but will kick and scream as we drag them out of it. Persistence will pay off, so go for it!

Hope this helps,

Blane