Neophite investor Despately needs help - Posted by Michael Ryan

Posted by Michael Ryan on May 24, 2000 at 24:17:03:

Thankyou I appreciate it and I’m sorry to hear about you mother, I hope she did not have too much pain. It’s tough but some how things will work out. I just was told by my mom that the insurance company has relented a little, they are now at least agreeing to out patient treatment, we still have to get it through to them that that’s not going to work. Hell the treatments alone might kill him. Anyway thanks again I appreciate it.

Neophite investor Despately needs help - Posted by Michael Ryan

Posted by Michael Ryan on May 23, 2000 at 16:47:26:

I have purchased CS’s no money down course and belive I understand the “use other peoples money concept” for no money down purchases. Most, not all, of the methods there realy do require you to have good credit or a partner with $ or credit of their own. For reasons far to lengthy to get into here, I have neither. The only one I have found that I think might work for me is owc financing. I haven’t found any here in Colorado that don’t require a substancial down payment. The housing market here is going nuts! It is truely a SELLERS market. I have decided that what I need to do, considering my situation, is concentrate on contract to purchase flips in order to get some cash flowing into the family. I realy have to get some cash flow ‘RIGHT NOW’ to help my family out, but I don’t know how. My father can no longer work because he has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the liver and unless I can help dig up $250,000 to pay for the tratment he needs, he will die. The treatment is only available at MD Anderson in Huston Texas so his medical insurance will not pay for it. I need some advice quickly since my father can no longer work to pay the bills, I’m going to have to figure out how. Hell, I cann’t even pay my own. Even a measly 2 or 3 grand from a couple of flips would keep the wolves at bay while I try to figure out something else to help bay for the treatment. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Neophite investor Despately needs help - Posted by Tim W.

Posted by Tim W. on May 24, 2000 at 05:39:42:

Michael,

Please accept my sympathies to you and your family for your father’s illness. Having little or no money surely doesn’t help matters at this difficult time for you, I’m sure.

The only advise I can give you is not going to be what you would want to hear. However, lets just say that I am in a business that I deal with situations like yours on a daily basis, and can offer you a view of your situation others may not share with you.

First and foremost, you must take care of yourself and your family, especially if you have children. THEY are dependant upon you for their basic needs and survival. If you don’t have the money now to care for them, how can you expect to throw money into your father’s medical expenses? At the very least, even if you have no children, you have to provide for your own survival.

I’d venture to say that everyone’s reaction to cancer is to get the best doctors and maintian a good fight right up to the end. To me, based on what I know, it is very much like someone trying to keep a boat afloat that has a hole in the bottom of it. NONE of the best doctor’s and treatments can CURE cancer. Perhaps someday they will, but that is years away.

With no discounting your love and concern for your father and his survival, my advise to you is to not concern yourself with how your father’s bills will be paid. If his health is that terminal and he requires a great deal of medical attention, you could not save enough money in an entire lifetime to pay for it. There are many government social programs designed to provide for basic welfare of those like your father. They will take care of his shelter, food and health coverage. The rest of the bills can go to hell in a hand basket because there will be nothing left to collect from. It’s also important for you and your family to remember that YOU are not responsible for your father debts. If your father is broke, then that is where the buck (bills) stops.

Getting involved in REI is a great idea for you to provide for yourself and your dependant family. At this point, you would not want to use any cash you can generate to provide for your father’s well being.

The best you can do for your father is to “be there” for him during this difficult time. Do what ever you can to show him your love for him and spend time with him doing whatever you can for him. You can be most beneficial to him in this capacity. However, under no circumstances would I recommend you start dumping your hard-earned cash where it will make little difference in the greater picture of the situation.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Re: Neophite investor Despately needs help - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on May 23, 2000 at 23:12:45:

Artie, Bad joke!!

Micheal,
I am not going to be of much help for you, but I hope by replying to this post it will cause others to notice it and maybe offer you some great help (anytime a subject has more replys it gets attention).

My mother was terminally ill back in '98 and I know it can be rough. I do thank God that she had excellent health insurance. Best of luck with your mission.

Re: Neophite investor Despately needs help - Posted by Michael Ryan

Posted by Michael Ryan on May 24, 2000 at 12:35:46:

Thankyou for your kind words and advice. Belive me I will be there for my family. I don’t have any children myself and you would be supprised at just how little I need to get by. I am the ULTIMATE survivor. If my dad makes it through this next week or two he will continue with therapy for the next 4 months. This is going to be a real financial burden on my folks, but now I KNOW I can help I’ll have to take on more work, but that doesn’t matter I can do this.