Never trust a naked computer!! - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 29, 1999 at 14:40:52:

nt

Never trust a naked computer!! - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 28, 1999 at 15:44:26:

Is anyone else having weird things happening to your replys and posts? Sometimes when I post a reply to someone’s original post, it ends up under some other post, totally unrelated. I can imagine it could and has caused consternation to whomever was receiving the reply, or at least has made them wonder “What’s this guy been smoking?” Also, sometimes my original or reply post simply disappears. What gives?? A computer geek friend thinks the CREOL server has become distracted due to focusing its attention on rearranging its Byte Order Coordinates for its Exposure Event during a Baud Extension Display. (See Active Grabbing and Passive Grabbing in the glossary at http://www.rahul.net/kenton/xglossary.html
Any enlightenment would be appreciated,
Bill

Seems the further down the page you go, the worse it gets. Jeanne? - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on March 29, 1999 at 22:12:29:

Jeanne,
Can you do anything to fix the wonkyness?
Thanks,
Michael Murray

Re: Never trust a naked computer!! - Posted by Bill Gatten

Posted by Bill Gatten on March 29, 1999 at 16:16:07:

your finger out my handle grip! I’m not that kind of ombudsman! Even the hard boiled eggs themselves were packed too tighly for my personal taste.

Problem? What problem?

Bill

He’s fishing, did you Byte. (long) - Posted by John (TX)

Posted by John (TX) on March 28, 1999 at 22:25:12:

Bill,

It appears that your friend’s computer geekdom :slight_smile: comes from a Unix background. All of the terms you mention are related to X-Windows, which is a Unix windowing system. It has nothing to do with PC’s browsers or the WWW. Well, that’s not completely true, PC’s can use X-Client software to connect to X-Servers, but that’s not what we’re doing. I am assuming that your are using a PC, connecting to the Internet over standard dial-up and using a browser. Which means you are not using any type of X-Windows software. Since I don’t know your computer background it would probably not be a good idea to go into anymore detail about X-Windows or Unix here, especially since my post is already way off topic. (Sorry all.) However, if you would like more info on these subjects E-mail me.

So, if the problem has nothing to do with Byte Order, Exposure Events nor Active and Passive Grabbing, then what might it be. BTW, I think it’s possible that your friend might have been pulling your chain. You know, stringing together a lot of real enough jargon that sounds impressive but isn’t related at all to what you were telling him. (Assuming you were describing the problem). It’s also possible that he misunderstood what you were describing.

In any event, the message board on CRE Online is a perl script written by an amazing young man Named Matt Wright, who at the tender age of 19 has already worked for Hewlett Packard writing CGI/Perl scripts and has written 2 chapters of “Special Edition Using CGI”, Published by QUE (MacMillan Publishing), 5 chapters of “Developing CGI Applications with Perl”, published by Wiley and co-authored “The CGI/Perl Cookbook”, also by Wiley. For more about Matt and his scripts see: Account Suspended But I digress.

So, the message board is a perl/CGI script that runs on the CREO server. What the heck is that? Well, simply put it’s just a program that runs on the server that handles creating an HTML page out of the text that you typed, giving it a sequence number and referencing the message you are responding to. Therein lies one possible problem. What happens if two people are both trying to submit a post at the same time? While this may sound a little like what your friend was saying it’s a long way from having anything to do with byte order. (For a description of what byte order is check out: What are big-endian and little-endian? Definition from SearchNetworking warning: it’s complicated) Also, take a look at: http://www.pconline.com/~erc/motif.htm for an overview of X-Windows.

Again, I’d like to apologize to everyone for the long off topic post. However, Bill, I just had to reply because it made me LOL when reading your friends comments. I really do think he was kidding you. :slight_smile:

John

Your computer’s exposing its baud? Kinky stuff! - Posted by Michael Murray

Posted by Michael Murray on March 28, 1999 at 21:56:35:

What’s the world comming to I hope.
Snicker,
Michael Murray

I thought it was just me! - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on March 28, 1999 at 16:54:56:

There are times that I will open a post in a new screen, follow the thread, and at any given time it will link me to a post from an entirely different thread. I start to read and think… “This has NOTHING to do with what they were talking about!”

I don’t know which was worse, thinking my puter was broke, or now wondering what drugs are affecting me!! LOL Just kidding.

Brandi

Re: Never trust a naked computer!! - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 28, 1999 at 16:45:36:

Bill,

I’ve noticed that this has happened to me, Stacy (AZ) and MillieI. So, you’re not “smoking” alone.

Bill K. (AZ)

Huh?? - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 29, 1999 at 21:59:59:

We might also ask, “Why is a chicken? True or False?”
Bill

Oh, Man! Of course! Why didn’t I think of that? - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 28, 1999 at 22:35:44:

John,
Your explanation was sooo obvious, I can’t believe I didn’t see it. LOL
Bill

and to think I quit drinking for nothing?!! (nt) - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on March 28, 1999 at 22:55:19:

nt

Re: Oh, Man! Of course! Why didn’t I think of that? - Posted by John (TX)

Posted by John (TX) on March 28, 1999 at 23:12:07:

Bill,

Try this. Memorize the statement below. Then the next time he gives you such an explanation, throw it at him in your best radio announcer voice. ;-D

The stratification of various operating systems across multiple platforms has created esoteric and elusive problems in all but the most advanced systems, and while your explanation has some merit, I don’t believe you understand the intricacies involved in the processes at hand. If you did, the information that I have given you should allow you to form a schema that could then be used to extrapolate any number of theories that would more aptly explain the systematic sequencing of the errors that I received.

It may not mean anything, but it sure sounds good. LOL

John