New - opportunity to buy - Posted by Richard

Posted by Dr. Craig WhislerCA NV on September 12, 2003 at 14:07:09:

You didn’t tell us where it is located. We don’t have enough information to even guess if we live nearby. Incidently, where is nearby? When it comes to values the three most important factors to consider are: Location, Location, Location. Determining value is pretty much a local matter. We can’t give you a good answer, unless its located in our own towns. You need to look at a lot of local properties (50-100) and learn to determine value for yourself. NOONE can do this for you and do it well. Mobile home blue books are virtually worthless for this purpose. If you want to flip it though, just fax it to me, here in California and I’ll pay you double the asking price for it. That would be a bargain in my area but could be overpriced where you are. I wish there was some magic bullit we coud give you but there are just not many shortcuts when learning property values except pounding the pavement and asking a lot of price questions.

As to how many mobile homes you can put on the property (I assume you meant legally—right?), that would be a matter to ask your local building and planning department or zoning agency. Once again this is a matter that is determined locally.

I hope I answered your questions, even though I don’t know the answers.

Regards, doc

New - opportunity to buy - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on September 12, 2003 at 13:34:38:

I have never bought a mobile home before. I have been reading post on this web page and started looking in my area for a property. I have found a double wide mobile home, 1230 square feet, built in 1998, on 5 acres and has 3 bedrooms and two baths. My question is, does the price of $65,000 sound high? Also, how many mobile homes should I be able to put on the five acre lot. Any help would be appreciatted.
Richard

Re: New - opportunity to buy - Posted by Joe C. (AR)

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on September 12, 2003 at 17:45:45:

Doc’s right about values. Zoning is one factor for determining how many mobiles will go on 5 acres. Another is septic system considerations. If you have city sewer at property it’s not much of an issue. If you have to install septic systems then soil type and drainage charactoristics will play a major role. I’ve seen 5 acre lots that would only support one small system, limiting the permitted mobiles to one as well. Local health department has some jurisdiction where septic systems are concerned. Check with them too.
Joe C. (AR)