New PDA suggestions? - Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka (Mpls/StP)

Posted by James_MD on March 04, 2002 at 11:40:35:

I have seen Casio Cassiopea’s on ebay for as little as $150, they have winCE so they work with outlook and everything else. Color and cheap, better then paying the $600 for a new one.

James_MD

New PDA suggestions? - Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka (Mpls/StP)

Posted by Rolfe Kurtyka (Mpls/StP) on March 04, 2002 at 10:38:44:

Friends;

I broke my $150.00 Visor PDA, so I need a new PDA.

Any suggestions? It needs to work well with Outlook, especially the contact and task functions. Not sure if I need the PDA to be email useful. More for tasks and addresses.

I’m using Windows 98, and have Office 2000. If a Compaq ipaq, which model?

Thanks for any feedback.

Rolfe

Re: New PDA suggestions? - Posted by JJJ - FL

Posted by JJJ - FL on March 04, 2002 at 14:38:57:

I’m a techie by day (web programmer), so I’ll give you my take on PDAs. Don’t buy more than you need. A Compaq Ipaq may look pretty with WinCE and all the slick windows applications and colors, but if all you do is store addresses and phone numbers then you are wasting $600. ESPECIALLY if you are prone to breaking them.

I speak from experience, because I have a PalmIII that I bought for $500 when it first came out 4 yrs ago. I used it for the first few months, and now I barely use it for anything other than the address book and to do list.

I’d say just get a replacement Visor or Palm machine if thats all you’re gonna do. I’d personally get a Palm M105 for $150. Add a mortgage and financial calculator app along with the address book and to do list and you’re good to go.

Unless you truly want a winCE machine, color and the expansion slot on the ipaq, skip it and save the money.

Re: New PDA suggestions? - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on March 04, 2002 at 11:14:36:

Why not just get another Visor for $100, if that was meeting your needs? If you are prone to breaking these devices, it doesn’t make sense to spend $600 on an Ipaq. You only need an advanced PDA if you need advanced functionality, such as email, color, mp3 player, etc. Besides, with a Visor, you can always add in extra functionality with a Handspring module, if you’ll only need it on an occasional basis. Palm-OS based devices can sync well with Outlook through a variety of different sync software programs.

Re: New PDA suggestions? - Posted by JJJ - FL

Posted by JJJ - FL on March 04, 2002 at 14:40:01:

I forgot…if you’re truly set on WinCE, you can pick up a refurbished ipaq for around $250. Check on compaq’s site for refurbished products.