New to Mobile Home - Posted by tiger5

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on October 03, 2003 at 16:09:19:

You are right about a couple of things. My experience with this area was 30 years ago and just last week I drove through San Ramon again, on my way to check out a mobile home park for sale in Northern California, and it really has changed. I lived in Concord at the time and I was comparing the prices in the San Ramon area with Walnut Creek, Danvile, Alamo, Lafayette, Orinda and Moraga. Compared to those nearby areas, San Ramon was CHEAP. I didn’t see anything but expensive homes from the freeway this time. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards, doc

New to Mobile Home - Posted by tiger5

Posted by tiger5 on September 28, 2003 at 01:01:08:

Hi,
I am new to mobile home.
When I conside buying a home, I found that mobile home is one of the good option to setup home.
I live in Northen California, Silicon Valley area and the house is too expensive. Compared to house price, mobile home is much more affordable.
But the mobile park rent cost too much, too. My question is:
Is possible to buy a piece of land on my own and then buy a mobile home and setup the mobile home my own land so I don’t need pay the mobile park rent?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Possible yes. Easy no. Here is how to do it. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 28, 2003 at 06:15:01:

Yes its possible. You may have to go eastward to the San Ramon/Livermore area to find land that will welcome mobile homes. Even there, don’t expect it to be cheap

The best way to get an accurate answer to this question is to talk to dealers that sell new mobile homes. They will know if this is possible in your area and where it can best be done.

Note: I didn’t say to buy a new mobile home from them. You will only ask the dealers where to find the land. Tell them you are “thinking” of buying a new mobile home. Then change you mind after you learn where the land is. You do change your mind frequently don’t you? Good.

Years ago local almost all local jurisdictions attempted to keep mobile homes out by simply not zoning any land for them. Cheap trick.

Cheap solution: Finally the state stepped in to prohibit this practice, but at first it didn’t work very well

Note clearly, that it is illegal under present California law for counties and cities to prohibit mobile homes through zonning restrictions that do not allow them.

Local zoning ordinances have been enacted throughout California to try to get around this law and still keep mobiles out, thereby thwarting the general intent of the state law.

Such laws originally atempted to make the mobile home applicant comply with many burdensome and expensive modifications. Such modification at first included things such a peaked roofs, roof overhang, roof rain gutters, hardboard siding, composition shingle roofs, 4x4 wall studs, and permanent foundations. The intent was to allow mobiles (to comply with state law) but to make their use so expensive that noone could afford to comply with the local laws.

The real effect was to prohibit mobiles by local law when state law required them to be permitted.

In the earlier years mobile homes did not have these features. It was very costly to modify the mobiles of that era to comply with these requirements so very few mobiles were able to slip past these regulations.

Well it didn’t take smart mobile home manufacturers very long to catch on to this game. They began to make changes to the new mobile homes being manufactured so that they complied with local laws.

The only commonly remaining special requirement is the one for permanent foundations. You will have to comply with this one if you wish to put a mobile in an area of stick built homes.

Noone with a $600,000 stick built house wants a $25,000 mobile next door to them because it will dramatically lower the value of their expensive home. In your area ALL homes are expensive. You have to understand this.

You are likely to meet a lot of resistance, even today when you mention wanting to put a mobile on private land. You will probably be greated unenthustically and handed a multi-page set of regulations still trying to discourage you.

Yes it can be done. Your best source of help in learning how to put mobiles on private land will be California mobile Home factories and their local dealers. They will always know all of the latest ways to help you get around local laws that make it difficult to install mobiles on private land.

Learn from them but just don’t buy from them. This website will help you learn how to buy cheaper reposessed mobile homes.

Welcome to America

Regards, doc

Add a few grapes, add a few million - Posted by Gary CA

Posted by Gary CA on September 28, 2003 at 21:56:23:

30 years ago, Livermore was a hot, dusty grassland area on the outskirts of the Bay Area, and more affordable than most of the Bay Area. In recent years, however, people have put in vineyards right and left, and a recent real estate ad for a new subdivision listed homes starting at $600,000 and going up to $6,000,000 . San Ramon was always on the expensive side, but Livermore has come a long way.