New to real estate - Posted by Eric Ludvigsen

Posted by James Strange on June 29, 2002 at 15:09:07:

I did not say that I will not use leverage. But I will not do things like borrow on my credit card for a down. then as soon as close and paint refinance to cash out then use that for a down on another. Eventually you have to repay.

Leverage works both ways!

I recomend that you read the book, it is full of insite on how to make things work. But look and see what Robert Allen is doing now, it is not RE: http://www.multiplestreamsofincome.com/

New to real estate - Posted by Eric Ludvigsen

Posted by Eric Ludvigsen on June 28, 2002 at 22:03:13:

I am new to real estate just learning I want to start flipping houses I am going to by Carleton Sheets course what is some things I can do I am interested in foreclosures to start any advice would be helpful

Get Educated - Posted by Juan

Posted by Juan on July 02, 2002 at 21:38:44:

Eric,

This site is great and you will find a lot of great free info, but don’t pass up some of the books available here. Many experts have put together some invaluable info that is well worth the investment. I personally have made really good $$$$ with as little as $10 down. If you are interested in flips, check out Dwan & Sharon’s courses. I made over $50K last year using their techniques, part-time. Now I am full-time.

Can’t say that I have heard too much positive on CS. DON’T skimp on your education.

One bit of advice - You don’t need money to make money! I made $25K with only $10.00 down.

Re: New to real estate - Posted by jodicon

Posted by jodicon on June 29, 2002 at 01:19:30:

You can spend your money if you want to but I have learned more off this forum for free. I also read every forum on real estate that I can find. A few books don’t hurt either. Before you invest in C.S. course you should read a few post’s about his course. I think this forum is awesome and I’m thankful for what I get from it. Go for it.

IF I WERE YOU!!! - Posted by Taylor

Posted by Taylor on June 28, 2002 at 23:24:05:

IF I WERE YOU

If I were you I’d read everything on this board.
If I were you I’d feast on the How-To Articles.
If I were you I’d dine on every post.

I’d chew on the financial forum, digest the legal advice and polish every bone in the archives.

If I were you I’d greedily and thankfully inhale all this free information.

If I were you I’d become a sponge and suck up all the positive lessons and wash everything down with the success stories.

Then and only then after you’ve gotten a good grasp of what method fits you and you know theoretically how to accomplish them…come back and ask the questions you’re not able to find answers to in the archives.

Eric, all this free stuff amounts to an abundance of info that could guide you into what ever path you’d like. The question is not what you can do to get started but,…what are you prepared to do?

Much success in your endeavors.
Taylor.

Re: New to real estate - Posted by Jim (Houston)

Posted by Jim (Houston) on June 29, 2002 at 10:48:24:

jodicon,

Hi I am also still new to this business and I have Carleton sheets course from a while back and I can tell you that I have learned 10 times more real information from this site through the articles and the posts than I did from everything I read by him. His course is very general and only gives very basic information all of which can be found by searching the archives and reading the articles on this site.

One book I am finding very helpful is the Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing (2000) and if you go to Half.com you can get it for less than $10 along with a number of other books. Jim Kennedy posted a great list of books that will keep you reading for a while. If you read everyone of the books on the list you would probally have 50 times more information than Carlton’s course for about the same money as carlton’s full course.

here is a link to Jim Kennedy’s list of books it really is a BIG list and will keep you reading for a while.

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2002/arc_69/69525.html

Additionally I would say that you can find much better courses for purchase here on this site.

Just my $.02 Hope it helps

Regards,
Jim Goodwin

Re: IF I WERE YOU!!! - Posted by Matt KY

Posted by Matt KY on June 29, 2002 at 15:34:32:

the carleton sheets course isnt even worth the $10 for the 30 day trial period. its no good. if youre looking a cheap course, buy the ron legrand cashflow generator and the ron legrand lease option course. you can get them on ebay for about $200 total or less.

just my 2 dimes.

Re: IF I WERE YOU!!! - Posted by Myles

Posted by Myles on June 29, 2002 at 06:05:18:

That gentelman said it best Eric. I have the Carlton Sheets course. Its ok, but I can tell you this, go to the libary & take out “NOTHING DOWN FOR THE 90’s” by Robert G Allen. I am currently reading & doing my studying at home as well. But the money I spent on Carlton Sheets program I could of saved…

Ordering Carlton’s Sheets course for 30 days, $9.99
Deciding if you want it later & keeping it, $300.00

• Reading everything on this site, & learning from other people, & the pros, PRICELESS !!

Re: IF I WERE YOU!!! - Posted by James Strange

Posted by James Strange on June 29, 2002 at 07:00:28:

I have just about wore out my copy of “NOTHING DOWN FOR THE 90’s” But as much as I love the book I am not comfortable using a lot of leverage. (have to stay within my comfort zone.) And the book does give examples that use a LOT of leverage.

OR!!! - Posted by Michael_NJ

Posted by Michael_NJ on June 29, 2002 at 06:24:50:

Buy the CS program for 9.99 (30 day) read everything in the course and then send it back before your 30 days is up. And you only spent 9.99!! just my .02 cents…

Re: IF I WERE YOU!!! - Posted by Taylor

Posted by Taylor on June 29, 2002 at 12:12:25:

“A man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” Myles Munroe

With respect to real estate investing…you will severely limit you possibilities by not leveraging…unless you already have a bundle of your own cash.

Think of leveraging as constructive debt that you’ll pay back within a short period of time…as opposed to destructive debt where you’re making the minimum payment required with no end in sight.

To you success.
Taylor.