NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by Anthony Z.

Posted by Matt KY on July 16, 2002 at 24:58:04:

who do you think you are?

college fun? i call enjoying life fun. while other people my age are getting age-old text read to them when they could just read it themselves (LIKE I DO), im on the coast with my girlfriend.

when you’re on your deathbed, will you look back at your youth and remember chapter 9 of your psych book or will you remember that night in the sand with (whoever) watching the sunset?

you work long hours for someone else (i presume) and make decent money doing it. if you enjoy that, great.

but ive found a much better path in my opinion. you and people like you who slave for someone else are everything that i dont want to be and will never be.

next time you want to criticize someone’s life, consider that you may just not have all the answers because youve got a few more birthdays and a few wasted years of college.

NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by Anthony Z.

Posted by Anthony Z. on July 15, 2002 at 02:32:40:

A recent high school grad who focused on business and marketing(Intro to Business, Marketing 1,2, Board Member for my schools Future Business Leaders) I’ve been racking my brains for a logical next step in my persuit of financial sucess. College quite honestly seems almost too easy. (I say that at the risk of sounding extremly arrogant, I know.) My grandfather has spent much of his breath in attempts to get me to follow in his succesful real estate footsteps. THE ISSUE: I’ve gone through half of the Carlton Sheets material and being the need- to- know- it- all I am I’ve been investigating this guy and other “gurus” like him. THE QUESTION: Is this worth my time? Harvard educated John T. Reed believes it is not… I see a lot of people here with success stories and while they sound inspiring for the sake of saving my own a$$ I remain somwhat the skeptic. Holla back.

Re: NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by KC Questions

Posted by KC Questions on July 15, 2002 at 18:37:28:

I left for college at 17 and graduated at 21. Those were the best 4 years of my life and I have never regretted going. I majored in Business with an emphasis in Marketing and as a result took plenty of accounting, economics, and marketing classes; all of which help me today in my real estate investing career.

College was also a place where I did a lot of networking. After all, I am sure that the best accountants do well in their accounting classes, so it was pretty easy to figure out who to stay in contact with.

One of my favorite teachers taught my Business Law class. He is a lawyer, college professor, and real estate investor which makes him a very good person to know. As a matter of fact, he reviewed my real estate contracts for me for free when I was first starting out to make sure they complied with all state laws.

My favorite marketing teacher is also a business owner, and he helps me with any marketing plans or advice that I need.

These are some very valuable business relationships for me and alone would be good enough reason for me to go to college, but since I went to a HBCU, there were a whole lot of personal reasons that made the experience worthwhile.

And don’t think for a moment that going to college means that you have to wait to start your investing career. I bought my first house at 20 years old, during the beginning of my senior year, with no money or job, while living half-way across the state in public housing with the other students. So, if I can do it, well you know the rest…

P.S. If you think you are too smart for college, you definitely need to go. I was always one of the smartest kids in every school that I went to, but once I got to college, the more I learned, the more I realized I didn’t know…

Re: NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by DR

Posted by DR on July 15, 2002 at 15:25:52:

Be Smart. GO TO COLLEGE (I yelled, I think). It is irreplaceable and the best time of your life. You will always have it. You will never feel like someone is smarter than you. Kiyosaki is right and I have read the suggested book, But Go as an entreprenuer. Invest in you spare time with Grand pa. Don’t skip college. You have plenty of time to make millions while in college but you can never get the experience/time back. You can make money your whole life.

P.S. Get a thick skin because there are people out there that will bite your head off if you use CAPS.
DR

Re: NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by Matt KY

Posted by Matt KY on July 15, 2002 at 11:02:41:

College is stupid. Plain and simple. I also recommend Kiyosaki’s book “If You Want to be Rich and Happy, Don’t Go to School”

Re: NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on July 15, 2002 at 09:41:41:

Anthony,

Two questions:

-If you think college is so easy, why are you impressed with Reed’s college qualifications?

-Your grandfather is already a successful real estate investor, why not take him up on his offer to help you achieve what he has already done? Why go to Carlton Sheets?

To answer your question, yes, REI can be worth your time, especially if you take the time to determine what your goals are, write them down and then develop a PLAN. The plan is crucial. A college education is not needed for business success, but it can be a great experience nonetheless. At the very least you could meet friends who may be business associates for the rest of your life- a very valuable asset. I would also suggest that the self-discipline and other skills you would develop in the pursuit of a degree (or heck, just take a few accounting classes) will only help your financial success.

Final suggestion, read Kiyosaki’s first book: “If you want to be rich and happy don’t go to school?”

good luck,

Anne

HEY NEWBIE -PLEASE READ - Posted by Jerry Cerna

Posted by Jerry Cerna on July 15, 2002 at 09:26:10:

Personally I don?t think you should pursue CRE yet.

With CRE you?re dealing with big things, not just money, but quality of life decisions. You?ll be impacting not just your own life, but that of others, so it?s important to take things serious and not waste your time, or more importantly, the time and effort of other people. Before you?ve even begun your journey, you?re already wasting others? time, not a good sign.

To begin with there?s your post subject line, very annoying and selfish. There are many people on this board with serious questions and requests. They may have a deal that may or may not happen depending on the advice they receive at this board. Yet you deem your request more important than theirs by SHOUTING OUT YOUR QUESTION. You then beg people to read your post, it shows a lack of concern for the needs of others. A trait that is sure to sink you in CRE.

Next there?s the subject of your post.

Just being out of school you?ve no doubt heard the old chestnut about there being no dumb questions? Well here?s one of your first lessons of the real world: Your teachers were lying to you. There are dumb questions, plenty of them. And yours is one of them.

God forbid we get into a hot conflict and require our young people to fight in a ground combat situation. Should that be the case, and you find yourself stepping of a Huey into a live fire fight, will your first instinct be to stand on the highest point and yell out ?Hey guys, what?s up?? Of course you wouldn?t do that, you?d be cut down before you finished the question.

Well all of life is like that, a smart player looks around and surveys the situation before showing his ignorance. Not that there?s anything wrong with ignorance, we all need to start at some point. But there is something disturbing about a newbie who doesn?t take a few minutes of research to find an answer to a question that has been asked dozens, if not literally hundreds, of times in this very venue.

What makes you think your request is any more special than the same requests, and answers. Of the dozens of newbies before you? Newsflash, the only thing different about yours is the clever use of ALL CAPS and the fact that you feel it necessary to boast that college will be too easy for you.

You know what? I don?t think it will be too easy for you, I think you might be in for a unpleasant surprise because you don?t seem to be too good a student. A good student makes good use of all her resources. By your own admissions you have had in your life a fantastic resource and role model, your grandfather. Not only was he a successful business man in the arena we?re talking about, but it sounds like he went out of his way to recruit you and teach you the ropes. Yet here you are, asking lame questions of people you don?t even know.

So in summation let me Holla back to you? GROW UP AND COME BACK WHEN YOU?RE READY TO WORK!

Re: NEWBIE ADVICE NEEDED-PLEASE READ - Posted by Matt KY

Posted by Matt KY on July 15, 2002 at 16:54:36:

Make the money NOW, and enjoy life while you are still young. anyone who says you should waste the best years of your life pent up inside a classroom is nuts. no offense. you can get the same OR BETTER education for $1.50 in late charges at the public library.

Im 19 and decided not to go to college. instead im pursuing REI and have LOTS of free time to do anything i want. and best of all… im still YOUNG ENOUGH TO ENJOY IT!!

Posted by DR on July 15, 2002 at 21:50:24:

You Ain’t never been.

Jerry? What college did you FLUNK out of. - Posted by DR

Posted by DR on July 15, 2002 at 15:19:20:

Easy on the Boy. No one gets shot or loses a leg here.
Wow how big is this case thing?

Posted by DR on July 15, 2002 at 21:45:08:

You are 19. And by Gods design You think you know everything, and thats OK. What seperates the wise from the foolish becomes obvious with time not enough time has passed. Tell me when you are thirty, forty,. You are pursuing REI are You making money or still living with Mama? In four years how much money will you have?
College is the absolute most fun you can have. Your decision to not enter college was it with the future in mind or what you wanted NOW. Its a great back up plan. Jobs are’nt great but Many years I have been thankful to bring home 100K plus. The gurus that sell you stuff say it is peanuts and it is. My wife has never worked we homeschool our children and some time soon only 200K will do the job. Will you have the skills to get it? Maybe so. You are 19 and probably will never and can no longer really go to college. I wish You could. And I wish you well.

DR