Newbie here - How much is CS course? - Posted by Brandon M.

Posted by Brandon on September 10, 2003 at 11:18:24:

Ron,
I actually have bought several John Reed Books, and I enjoy them alot (I think I’m a little conservative myself). I appreciate the tip, I’ll continue reading more from him (which I planned to do anyway). Have a nice day!
Brandon

Newbie here - How much is CS course? - Posted by Brandon M.

Posted by Brandon M. on September 07, 2003 at 22:08:12:

Hi all,
I am very gratefull to an investor (his name is Jerry) here in Chicago who showed me this very wonderful and very informative site. I have not done any REI yet and want to know how much is the CS course. How many editions are there and how much is the latest one? I have read several books on Lease Option but I think I still need a little more knowledge on it before I start. I hope somebody can reply to this. Thank you to all who are responsible to this wonderful site!!!

Re: Newbie here - How much is CS course? - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on September 08, 2003 at 13:23:23:

Brandon,

Ron is correct. Check out Ebay. I was on there this morning and they have about 3 pages of Carleton Sheets items.

Best of luck,

RichV(FL)

My View: Too Much. - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 08, 2003 at 24:32:30:

Brandon M–(IL)------------------

My view is that the retail price is too much. You are paying for the advertising to sell the program.

I bought 16 audio tapes of Carleton Sheets “No Down Payment” program on e-bay for less than $10, shipping included. I did not get the whole package, but I good better value than if I had paid the retail price.

Good Investing*************Ron Starr*****************

Re: My View: Too Much. - Posted by Ron Starr

Posted by Ron Starr on September 08, 2003 at 08:08:01:

Ron,
Thanks for your view I think I’ll follow your advise but I don’t know what’s the latest edition they currently have and if it is being offered in ebay.

Re: My View: Too Much. - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 08, 2003 at 11:16:09:

Ron--------------------

From what other people have posted the different editions do not change very much.

I recommend a book written in the 1950s. The author died about 3 or 4 years ago. So does that make the book bad? Not in my view.

Yes, things do change some. But the basics of real estate investing do not change a lot, I’d suggest. Oh sure, there are different fads, such as the current “short sale” fad. And some of the fads hang on long enough to probably not be called fads, such as the “no money down payment out of your own pocket” whatever-it-is.

So don’t worry too much. Maybe pick up the last edition before the current one if you can. If you go back further than that, you sill will be ok, I’d bet.

Good InvestingRon Starr**

Re: My View: Too Much. - Posted by Al Investor

Posted by Al Investor on September 08, 2003 at 20:45:09:

Ron Starr, Would you please let us know the name of the book that you say you recommend? THe one that was written in the 1950’s and the name of the author that has passed in the last few years?

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 09, 2003 at 01:16:13:

A1 Investor----------------

Sure, William Nickerson’s “How I turned One Thousand into [1st editon: one][2nd edition: three][3rd editon:] Five Million in my Spare Time.”

Good InvestingRon Starr*********

Re: My View: Too Much. - Posted by Brandon

Posted by Brandon on September 09, 2003 at 17:10:24:

Ron-
I recently read William Nickersons book, the 1980 printing. I agree that it is a great book, but I found it at times to be very confusing simply because it was so outdated, many things just didn’t apply, because they are no longer done that way anymore. My question is do you recommend any books that have the same quality of writing as his book, but that are updated to our modern financial world? Thanks!

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on September 10, 2003 at 01:22:11:

Brandon---------

I think Jack Reed has excellent books. Some people find him to be a little to conservative for them. I think you read them anyway and absorb and use what you want from them. www.johntreed.com

Good InvestingRon Starr*********