Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by Shonda-OH

Posted by Glenn-OH on May 26, 2000 at 13:08:31:

As a gentle comment. I think that “soapymac” was not meaning negative criticism. His comments are valid - we can never stop learning. You also may have opened yourself up to some pretty nasty critism, since only realtors who are experienced investors seem to get any respect here. Same with loan officers. If you read many posts here, you will find that there are regular “stupid realtor” or “stupid loan officer” reports. You are wanting to move into a field in which you have no expertise, so listen instead of blustering. You will get much more info and support - you have a lot to learn.

Glenn Van Ausdal
Dayton OH
PS where are you in OH?

Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by Shonda-OH

Posted by Shonda-OH on May 26, 2000 at 07:45:09:

I need to start my learning process with a study course. I do not want and will not spend large amounts of money for numerous courses. I need one good course for each area that I choose to dominate. I figure 2-3 courses ranging from $200-$600. I want to make money not spend it on courses. Readers of this post please give your input.

Thanks
Shonda

Re: Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on May 27, 2000 at 23:54:55:

I’m always amazed at the newbies asking for all the info. that is already here on this site, FOR FREE. Start by reading ALL the posts here and then daily, and all the success stories, and all the “How to Articles”, etc. etc. You’ll start to see “patterns” of info. And for most it’s unfortunately not as simple as “one good course”. Good Luck!

Re: Woman can change the course of the world! - Posted by Lori Samson

Posted by Lori Samson on May 26, 2000 at 22:37:24:

I had to get some attention! I did not become one of the fatal seminar junkies! I did buy a lot of courses and one of my goals each year is to have purchased at least two each year. I now have my own course materials… but, I will Never stop shopping for good stuff! I resently purchased a course in the same field as myself because I am always open to a new twist or angle to do what I do BETTER.
You did nothing wrong by asking for others opinions and I admire that. I was a house wife and hadn’t worked in near 15 years when I got started and I love real estate and all the problems. I love my children and all their problems too! There is no bed of roses except the one you choose to create for yourself. You are a woman and I have seen woman dig into near impossible jobs that some men dare not tread. If you want it badly enough you will make it. How much are you willing to pay the price? (courses included) You can make a lot of money in real estate and the great thing is it can all be passive income. We are all trying to achieve the same goal but with different commitment levels. We want to be financially free. Most woman want the security and money to have some fun in life and share it with their family. It is not for the power and recognition that woman usually are striving for.
Just learn in an area that interests you most and move on from there. Remember not to be a Jack of all Trades and ruler of none. Focus in on an area and buy as many courses as you can to master it! Then, add a new tool to your tool box. I have seen ( sorry, guys) so many people that I have mentored in the past try to become an ‘all knowing’ investor and talks of so many techniques and hasn’t mastered or gotten really good at any of them! Stay focused! Be encouraged! There is other woman who have made it! Press on — Lori

Re: Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on May 26, 2000 at 11:09:19:

Ah, youth. Or perhaps just inexperience, who knows? I was once as you are now - convinced that Real Estate would be the vehicle through which I would build my empire, that all would bow to my power and wealth within a few years of starting.

I’m a little older and perhaps wiser now. Let me tell you a story.

A few years ago, I visited my local Real Estate investment club. I was dressed to kill, and ready to kick some a**. As I walked in, I spotted a guy in the back of the room, sitting by himself, with a real “Jimmy Buffet” look, faded t-shirt, shorts with holes in them, and flip-flops. Natty hair, and glasses with frames all wrong for his face. I took one look and thought to myself, “loser”. Later, I found out who this was.

It was Pete Fortunato.

For those who don’t know, Pete is commonly regarded as one of the foremost experts in discounted notes and paper in the country, well known and regarded in the industry. He is also active in the world of real estate investing as well, or at least he was at the time. I have also heard through other investors that he is at the point in life where he can make his primary concern be the rate of return on a deal, since he has more than enough for everyday things.

So, before you get all set to “dominate” whatever area “you choose”, you may want to get a course (or maybe a book, if you don’t wanna spend a lot of money), hang out on this forum, get a clue, and do some deals, and make some money. Once you find out how hard this really is, you may find your plans for domination getting pushed back a bit.

So there is my “input”.

Excuse Me? - Posted by soapymac

Posted by soapymac on May 26, 2000 at 09:44:51:

Shonda,

If I am out of line here, please accept my apologies in advance. “I do not want and will not spend large amounts of money for numerous courses. I need one good course for each area that I choose to dominate.”

You may want to re-evaluate that statement. Phil Fernandez, who posted below, is probably one of the most experienced investors that posts on this board. He’s been in the profession (yes, Shonda, this IS a profession, not a get rich quick scheme,) and HE STILL PURCHASES COURSES.

The only time you stop learning in this business…is when your body assumes room temperature. Get used to it…it’s part of the pea patch.

Cordially,

Roy MacLean
“soapymac”

Re: Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on May 26, 2000 at 09:20:29:

If I were starting out here’s what I would purchase :

1./ Deals on Wheels - Lonnie Scruggs
2./ Lease/Options Workshop - Bill Bronchick
3./ Cash Cow - Bill Bronchick
4./ Paper Trilogy - John Behle

The above four will give you a tremendous base for making money in real estate and paper. I’ve got them all.

They all can be ordered from this site. Click on the yellow left band books/courses for an explanation and pricing of each one.

Re: Newbie. I need a course. Suggestions? - Posted by Tim Fitzpatrick

Posted by Tim Fitzpatrick on May 26, 2000 at 21:18:15:

Wow, that post from shonda was a little blunt…or maybe an eyeopener…but im new at this. My father allways told me “you have two ears and one mouth…so you should listen twice as much as you talk” So much to learn…so little time!

Re: Excuse Me? - Posted by SHONDA-OH

Posted by SHONDA-OH on May 26, 2000 at 11:55:07:

I do not need to reevaluate my statement. I am a licensed Realtor here in Ohio --by profession, a part-time Loan Officer-- by profession. I was simply being humble because there is always someone, somewhere who knows more. I am not totally new to investing although as a Realtor and a Loan Officer in comparison to a R.E. Investor the view is different. I am sure that I will spend more on information in this field, I simply wanted suggestions on making a transformation of what I do–to investing through a home study that can get me STARTED!!

ps: Sometimes people do not realize when their opinion can be negative criticism instead of constructive.

Re: Excuse Me? - Posted by Tim C

Posted by Tim C on May 29, 2000 at 09:37:02:

“Bravo Shonda,” You seem like a strong and intelligent person. I,ve also posted messages on this site and 1/2 of my replies were helpful and simpithetic, the other 1/2 were “constructive critisism”. That second half didn’t make me feel to good but it did open my eyes to see 360 degrees instead of 180. Good Luck!

Re: Excuse Me? - Posted by Karl (Oh)

Posted by Karl (Oh) on May 26, 2000 at 15:05:33:

Shonda,

Your post yesterday was so pleasantly worded, what happened today?

I don’t know where you live in Ohio, I’m in Cincinnati and a member of the local REIA. We have a library of information where you can borrow material FOR FREE. Perhaps your club has a similar library.

Also, when you start to make contacts with other investors in your club, perhaps you’ll find someone who may loan you some of their material. I just met a guy who’s a successful investor here in town who has many thousands of dollars worth of material (and doesn’t regret buying any of it) who has offered to share any of it with me. I’m sure he has all the courses that Phil listed below. I gave him some of my mobile home information, so he’s returning the favor.

Understand that the veterans on this site have little patience when someone even hints towards complaining about the cost of the learning material. They’ve found that the cost is insignificant compared to the benefit they’ve received. If you get scolded by someone, smile and forget about it. That same person may answer a question for you next week that makes you money.

Karl Kleiner