Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on March 18, 2006 at 12:41:28:

I’m going to get on the phone and see what the mortgage is.

I do know that the neighborhood goes from 80,000 to 150,000. It is on the edge of a prominent neighborhood that has a lot of 120,000 and up homes.

I would guess the house is worth anywhere from 100k to 120k.

Right now we are looking for rental situations.

I know my first step is to find out the deal with the loan on the house and how much equity is already in it.

Any advice for or things to be cautious about with deals like this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on March 18, 2006 at 11:44:51:

I am just starting to get into investing. I went out today looking for properties.

Well right around the corner from my house is a house with a sign out front that says 15,000 and take over payments call today!

This is a nice house with not much fix up.

Any advice on how to go about dealing with a property like this?

Thanks

Re: Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Elizabeth NJ

Posted by Elizabeth NJ on March 18, 2006 at 17:38:12:

Hi Eric,

My mantra is “if you don’t ask the question, you’ll never know the answer”.

So call the number on the sign. Do not hesitate to ask the person if they are the owner of the property or is this an investor who is looking to flip it.

Your local county tax records will reveal the owner’s name, so if the person you’re speaking with has a different name, it could be a relative. My instinct says it’s not another investor.

Let us know how this goes for you. You may have stumbled onto a great first deal.

Good luck.

Re: Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Margaret

Posted by Margaret on March 18, 2006 at 12:44:37:

This sounds like another investor who placed the sign.

Re: Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on March 18, 2006 at 12:17:51:

What is the current market value of the property?

What is the balance on the mortgage loan?

When you know these numbers, then you can tell if your purchase price is a deal or not.

If you purchase, what do you plan to do with the property – what is your exit strategy? How will you profit from the deal?

If you plan to hold for rental use, what is the market rent for that property? How much is the debt service on the existing mortgage, the property taxes, and the hazard insurance? Will you be able to make this property cash flow as a rental?

Re: Newbie Needs Advice - Posted by Eric

Posted by Eric on March 18, 2006 at 12:48:10:

Interesting.

The sign was written with black marker on a piece of card board and placed out front. If it was another investor it looked very hand made like the person living there wrote it.

But that is something to think about. Thanks

Re: Newbie Needs Advice-You Got it! - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on March 18, 2006 at 19:04:28:

Take Dave T’s advice. It’s right on the money. Probably the most important information is what is it really, conservately, worth, compared to the loan balance, any back payments and anything else owed and the $15K he is asking. It is likely that you will want to offer less. What you are dealing with here is a “subject to” the existing mortgage and it can be tricky. You, sooner or later, will have to deal with the mortgage company. There are ways to do this like getting the present owner to send a letter to the mortgage company, designating you as making his future payment for him.

Most mortgages now days have a due on sale clause, but there are ways to get around it. You need comparative sales in the last six months in the immediate area. You can get these from a realtor if you have one that is friendly, or other free or pay services. Compare it as to size, number of bedrooms and baths and price per square foot and average them out to detemine this properties’ likely value. Condition could also be a factor. Once you have all of this you can realistically determine what it may be worth to you. If you are going to keep it as a rental, then you also have to have to realistically find out what rent you can get and whether or not it will cover your payments, including insurance and taxes home owner’s dues etc. Look at rental prices for comparable properties in the immediate area in newspapers or other sources. If it will not, or only breaks even without a good cushon for vancies, repairs etc., and a good positive cash flow for you on top of it all, it’s not a good deal. If you are going to just flip it to another buyer, be sure there is enough margin for you and for him. You should probably plan on him getting more. If you want to rehab and sell, make sure there is enough margin to cover all costs, including both end buying and selling closing and holding costs for a reasonable period, say six months, to give you a reasonable profit. There may be other considerations, that

I am sure other experienced investors, like say Frank Chin who could add. I do not normally go into this detail on a post, but I do firmly believe that if you have been successful, you should give back some of your knowledge to help others as a humanistic, if not moralistic and spiritualistic contribution to those who have either not been so fortunate or are in the learning curve.

You have had a Investor’s 101 Course for for free for this particular situation. I hope that I am not scaring you off, but there is a learning curve to Real Estate Investing. You need to know that, but not let it keep you from charging ahead. Ain’t R. E. Investing great? I wish you a long and sucessful career in doing this, as I have had. If you want more, let me know. If not that is OK too. Jack.