Newbie seeking advise/opinions from CRE Vets - Posted by Toad

Posted by ken in sc on February 07, 2002 at 16:33:01:

Toad,

You said real estate investing which to me means buying rental property. There is much discussion on this board about people who have a BUSINESS of buying RE to sell. Those are two different things.

Owning RE as an investment is great if you do it right. The returns due to high leverage can be more than your average stockbroker can dream of. It takes some knowledge, some work, and some money (at least for reserves if not to buy). I started with rentals and made a transition into the full time BUSINESS of buying to sell. Owning rentals will not make you a living at first - it is an investment for growth and future earnings. Buying to sell can make you a living, but there is even more to learn before you are ready to be full time. Fortunantly, there is this site with all it’s free advise as well as a plethora of courses available for relatively cheap (compared to a masters degree!) not to mention books at the library and the store. Rental investing as well as the business of RE can be learned. So decide what interest you and then delve into it. If you are like the rest of us here, you will be hooked for life!

Good luck - Ken

Newbie seeking advise/opinions from CRE Vets - Posted by Toad

Posted by Toad on February 07, 2002 at 12:33:58:

I am 100% brand, spanking new to real estate investing. It is something I have been interested in for some time but only passively. I?ve always wanted to have my own business or work for myself in some way. I would like to ask a couple of questions and get some opinions from those already in the know?..

How would you stack up real estate investing versus owning/running your own business? I?m sure some of you have done or currently do both.

I am no natural-born salesperson and have never really tried to be. My work is managerial. I am good with projects, processes, details, etc. How important is sales ability to real estate investing versus the ability to do the work, research, etc and put together a good deal?

Thanks in advance for all replies. It?s very much appreciated!