newbie, wannabe, greenhorn, etc. - Posted by James D. Stone

Posted by Len on January 25, 2000 at 21:21:54:

If you need a fax # but can’t afford the machine, there
are a number of free faxes on the web, efax.com is one of them that works with your email address. You can’t send, but you can recieve with it.
For about $4. a month you can upgrade and send faxes.

newbie, wannabe, greenhorn, etc. - Posted by James D. Stone

Posted by James D. Stone on January 24, 2000 at 21:07:16:

Greetings,

I am new to the game. I am sick to death of living paycheck to paycheck. If I were to miss one paycheck, I would be behind in all my bills. I recently found this site and read many of the how to articles and the success stories. I am convinced that I can do this. I have the determination, drive and discipline that is obviously necessary, and I have time to work it. I work out of my home and can pretty much set my own hours, so that frees me up to do what ever is necessary to get started in this. The best thing I have going for me, as far as I am concerned, is the one hundred percent support from my wife and family. I have four kids as well.
Why am I here? I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what I needed to set myself up in this business of investing in real estate? I don?t have capital, but from what I understand, a little education on creative financing and maybe some partners is all I need. But what do I need as far as a home office? I obviously have a computer and telephone. Do I need a fax machine? Is it essential? I made up some business cards, minus a fax number. I?ve read some of the articles about finding some rehab investors, cause I think that?s the way I want to go to start with. I want to make cash first and then maybe later build a real estate portfolio. But how do I go about finding rehab investors?
When I was browsing the real estate section of the paper, I noticed that a lot of houses were listed with real estate agents or brokers. Is it feasible to go through a broker or agent to buy houses? I?ll stop here. I don?t want to overwhelm you with the questions the way I was overwhelmed with the information. I guess my question is ?Where do I begin.?

James

Re: newbie, wannabe, greenhorn, etc. - Posted by Todd (St. L.)

Posted by Todd (St. L.) on January 25, 2000 at 14:55:31:

I’m going to have to disagree with some of the other posts. I’ll tell you what I always tell my students - you don’t need a fancy office and tons of equipment to get started in this business. I see so many newbies who feel they have to run out and buy all of the computers, fax machines, multi-phone lines, cellular phones, etc. before they even do their first deal. If you have the money and want to do that it’s fine. But most of us didn’t have that kind of money when we first started.

Computers, fax machines, cell phones and the like are useful tools that make an investors job easier. However just starting out you will not likely find yourself busy enough to have a need for all this. All you need to get started is a home phone, transportation (car), forms and contracts. In the beginning your kitchen table can be your office if need be. Do a few deals first then buy all the fancy equipment. Just keep it simple.

In the beginning spend your money on education. Buy whatever courses and materials will be useful for the area of investing you wish to pursue. Learn your craft, then add tools as you need them (and can afford them).

Best of luck to you,

Todd (St. L.)

Re: newbie, wannabe, greenhorn, etc. - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on January 25, 2000 at 11:57:16:

James,

In addition to a fax machine, you might also want to consider a mobile phone if you don?t already have one. It is not an essential tool in order to do real estate investing, but it sure is a convenience factor. Mobile phones can be fairly cost effective if used judiciously.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Having a fax would make your life a whole lot easier … - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on January 25, 2000 at 10:11:02:

…in the long run.

We installed a good quality fax/copier combo and it pretty much paid for itself in the first week. (The equipment was under $500. but the transmission quality was worth the cost.)

It is a single-line (SL) hook-up which meant we didn’t need to install a separate line for the fax machine.

Another possibility is to install a fax modem in your computer. I don’t use ours but it works fine.

GOOD LUCK in your new venture, James!

And remember! Even after you have your r.e. business a rockin’ & a rollin’, be sure to continue with your ‘education’ (books/articles/courses, etc.) There is always something new to learn out there.

Susie

:slight_smile:

Re: newbie, wannabe, greenhorn, etc. - Posted by Ray S(FL)

Posted by Ray S(FL) on January 24, 2000 at 22:16:48:

James,

Read the articles that are in the site by Jackie Lange on quick flipping. This technique will at least get some cash in your pocket. Then you can decide which avenues to persue for the long haul.

Good luck to you!
Ray S(FL)