teach him a lesson.

Positioning yourself as someone other than your typical greedy
investor is something you need to learn to do. Me, I go with the guy
who’s willing to get involved and duke it on with whoever is causing
them trouble.

Joe

Newbie wants advice… - Posted by TW

Posted by TW on June 01, 2006 at 24:31:41:

Found a house fsbo in a good neighborhood – house is tiny + needs work – great lot + 2-car garage is fine.

Little sign in window – obviously written by little old man – says For Sale – then name + address + phone (different address than house) – then “Min. $85,000”

All scribbled by hand on 8-1/2 x 11 shhet of paper taped in window.

There was also a notice from the town saying there had been ‘complaints’ and to contact town hall, stuck in the door.

Again lot is beautiful – possibly a 2ble lot (!) – and lots must go for good $ there.

And the garage is fine.

I called the guy – he hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the house(!)

Now what?

Any advice.

There’s gold in there somewhere – how to ‘mine’ it???

Thanks!

– TW

Re: Newbie wants advice… - Posted by Luke Hoppel

Posted by Luke Hoppel on June 01, 2006 at 17:48:24:

I know you said it was a nice house but is it possible that there is a code violation here? Perhaps call the code enforcement office and ask it there are any violations on that house.
That’s just one option though. You could also call town hall and try to figure out what’s going on. Just tell them you are looking to purchase it and you heard some rumors about it and wanted to find out what was going on.
Good luck,
Luke

Re: Newbie wants advice… - Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy

Posted by Rick, the Probate Guy on June 01, 2006 at 24:41:21:

DO your homework first. Determine who, in fact, owns the house, whether they’re alive or dead, where they live or are buried, and chain out the title.

If the “little old man” is a principal to this house (i.e., the owner, heir, etc.) then call him up and make a connection with him. If discussing the house upsets him, find another reason to call him and build some repoire.

Seems to me if the guy hangs up when you mention the house, then don’t mention the house (for a while).