Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on January 13, 1999 at 17:27:43:

Wow John,

That is great news about the Topeka Court house!!

Yes my ad will attract rehabers, it does a better job of finding rehabers then houses !! LOL

Hope this helps

Mark R in KCMO

Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by John (KS) on January 13, 1999 at 14:21:56:

I used the concept when starting in MH’s and I have been trying to locate investors to flip properties to with little luck. What should I put in a “make believe” ad to aquire a list of potential investors to flip to.

Must Sell “HANDYMAN SPECIAL”,
you fix, you save $$'s. 3bdr/2ba
good neighborhood. xxx-xxxx

I figure the “handyman special” will attract rehabbers and the “good neighborhood” comment will let them know it is not in a war zone. How could I change it to make it more appealing and having the Rehabbers crawling out of the woodwork?

Re: Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila)

Posted by Andrew Smith (Phila) on January 14, 1999 at 07:10:13:

Your ad works for me - I am a rehabber and I would have called you. As Mark C mentioned I’d use “handyperson” also I don’t think “good neighborhood” would be allowed here. There have been lawsuits over the most ridiculous things regarding fair housing issues - walkin closet is discriminatory against handicapped, master bedroom has been changing to main bedroom due to the idiotic claim that it has overtones of slavery issues, and handyman is now handyperson. What times we live in. You are also not allowed to say a home is near a church or country club or that it is in quiet or mature neighborhood. Go figure how much sense all this makes.

KISS - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on January 13, 1999 at 16:02:14:

The simpler the better. I got tons of responses with “Handyperson special. Duplex. Cash. Cheap. xxx-xxxx” This also gives you tons of flexibility to build your buyers list for all the different types of junkers. You can of course omit the “Duplex” part. Good luck. I’ll be seeing you in Dallas.

Re: Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on January 13, 1999 at 15:28:06:

John,

That will work great for specific areas, however a broader ad might generate more interest.

Instead of giving an area, simply state “many areas and price ranges”

Such as:

#Investor must Liquidate NOW, Many 3/2 homes available all over town some are fixers. Call John xxx-xxxx

But my favorite still is:

#1 Choice I buy Houses, all price ranges all conditions, All cash offers in 72 Hours or less, Call Mr Penway xxx-xxxx Ext 117

Then the first question out of my mouth is:

“Do you have a home for sale or are you contacting me for a relative or a friend??”

Often I find investors with that one simple question.

In the politically correct Kansas City Star, you can’t run a handyman ad, you must use handyperson, I choose to say Fixer-upper.

Hope this Helps

Mark R in KCMO

Re: Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on January 15, 1999 at 05:35:03:

Just to emphasize your point about the crazy times we live in . . .

A few days ago I was in a tire shop buying some new tires and the manager told me a strange story. A customer had the experience of his tire falling off the car and doing about $1,200 damage. They got the car back in for an inspection prior to making a payoff and the manager looked in the glove box and found a receipt from Winston tire company where they had replaced all the brakes.

This receipt was dated AFTER the customer had purchased his tires, so it was clear that this tire shop had done nothing wrong. So they refused to pay the damages.

The customer then went to court where it was ruled that the manager had no permission to look in the glove box, so the Winston receipt could not be used. Further, the manager’s company was directed to pay the $1,200 in damages.

Is that crazy or what?

Sorry to be off topic, but this has been on my mind since I heard it.

Brad

Re: Newspaper Ads to attract Investors - Posted by John (KS)

Posted by John (KS) on January 13, 1999 at 17:02:11:

Does your “I Buy Houses Ad” attract rehabbers looking for houses to buy? I am looking to generate a list of potential buyers for the potential flippers I find.

I found out today that the Topeka courthouse will give me a name and address of the owner of an abandoned propery over the phone. Cool Huh?