No dog policy? - Posted by shannon

Posted by qstaff on August 13, 2003 at 23:07:35:

Renters should get insurance for liability, I think, no matter what. That said, I think your dog deal sounds very good unless the dogs are pitbulls. It would behoove you, however, to make some spot checks early on to see if the dogs are tearing up the place.
I mean, what kind of dogs are they? Puppies can be destructive, too. My tenants have always had animals and I’ve only had one house destroyed, but I should have thrown that whole group out earlier than I did.

No dog policy? - Posted by shannon

Posted by shannon on August 13, 2003 at 22:10:59:

I have agreed to rent to a tenant that has One grown dog and one pup.The only reason I am considering this is because she is the only one, that has brought cash to the table.I am getting one hundred dollars more per month for the dogs and $500.00 dep.I am also stating in the contract that there are no dogs allowed, to cover my A@# in case something happens.I would like to hear some thoughts as to my ideas and procedures.
Thanks

Re: No dog policy? - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on August 14, 2003 at 11:10:37:

I’ve said this before on this board, and I’ll continue saying it, I think taking pets is an excellent strategy. It boggles my mind that most landlords don’t, but I love it! Two simple words - “Pets Ok!” immediately differentiates you from about 80% of your competition, in my estimation. In addition, as you’ve discovered, you can MAKE MONEY by taking those things - truly responsible pet owners regard their pet as a part of the family, and have no problem paying that extra money every month so they can keep Fido or Fluffy. I know, as a dog owner, that when I rented, I made my decisions on the basis of whether me, and my dog were welcome. The dog wasn’t going to go for any one apartment or house - after all, there’s a ton of them out there, but there’s only one of my dog.

However, your strategy to put a thing in the contract saying “no pets allowed”, but then taking them, is completely the opposite of what you should be doing, and could get you into some big legal trouble. What you want to do, actually, is have your tenants sign a separate “Pet Agreement”. These are all over on the landlording websites, and are probably included in most legal software or rental books, nowadays. It’s an agreement that specifies what they can and can’t do with the pets, the name make & model of each pet, that they have to get liability insurance, etc. THAT is what is going to cover your arse. After all, if they come in with fluffy the cat, and forget to tell you about Spuds the pit-bull, and then Spuds bites somebody, and somebody sues them and you, wouldn’t you rather be holding an agreement that shows you never gave permission for Spuds to move in in the first place?

Re: No dog policy? - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 14, 2003 at 07:44:45:

Shannon,

Check with your insurance carrier to find out what kind of dogs will invalidate your policy. Require your tenants to have renter’s insurance with dog bite liability with you or your company named as ‘additional insured’ and ‘loss payee’. Make the policy a condition of tenancy.

I don’t think having a ‘no dogs allowed’ clause in your lease will help you since you clearly allowed them to bring the dogs into your house in the first place- since you’re getting an extra $100/month.

I require all dogs to be crate-trained with proof that shots are up to date and the name of the dog’s vet.

good luck,
Anne