no FHA loan for double closing/assigned contract ? - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on July 16, 2003 at 10:10:09:

Thanks, I tried your suggestion and only found stuff a year old talking about flips and what if HUD imposes this restriction for 12 months, 6 months, etc. Now that it’s a done deal, and for 90 days, now what?

I was hoping to find some concrete suggestions on how not to lose my profits when a tenant/buyer is ready to buy rather than feelings of outrage on the topic. If you know of a posting on a particular date that addresses sandwich lease options and FHA loans, I’d love to go read it! Thanks again!

no FHA loan for double closing/assigned contract ? - Posted by Carol

Posted by Carol on July 15, 2003 at 17:00:26:

To clarify better, HUD says they won’t give FHA loans for a single-family house to a buyer if they are buying from someone who has owned the property for less than 90 days or from someone with an assigned contract.

I’m trying to get into sandwich lease/options, and this blows double closings and assigned contracts out of the water.

I’ve heard to have the original seller give me a promissory note & mortgage in the amount of my profit, then have my tenant/buyer buy directly from the original seller.

Wouldn’t the seller get ticked off to see how much profit I’m getting that could have been his/hers? What if the original seller refuses to cooperate? What if the original seller waits for my option to expire, and deals directly with my tenant/buyer and cuts me out?

At what point do you tell the tenant/buyer about the potential FHA loan problem? Or do you?

Any better solutions? It seems like there’s an awful lot of potential for major problems when the tenant/buyer is ready to buy, and it’s really making me rethink lease options.

How do I protect myself with this HUD ruling? Any reassurances?

Thanks for the input in advance! Carol

no FHA loan for double closing/assigned contract ? - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on July 15, 2003 at 20:18:41:

search the archives on this board or the real estate law board…lots of posts on this.