NO LEASE - NOW WHAT? (Short) - Posted by Carmen

Posted by CarolFL on April 22, 1999 at 06:42:37:

Carmen,
I am in FL and agre with Jim. I have never had to do so, but I understand 30 day notice is required… but it MIGHT be from the first of next month.

We can call our county courthouse, clerk’s office - or better yet, drop by - and ask questions like this and they are generally helpful.

Good luck,
Carol

NO LEASE - NOW WHAT? (Short) - Posted by Carmen

Posted by Carmen on April 21, 1999 at 20:33:04:

I signed a contract on a house with a tenant. They have no written lease, and are paying way below market. There’s no way I can afford to keep them there, and they can’t afford much more. Legally, in Florida, does anyone know what my rights are? I am trying to find them another (cheaper) home, but in the meantime, I want to know where I stand.

Re: NO LEASE - NOW WHAT? (Short) - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on April 22, 1999 at 20:06:13:

Carmen,

You have a tenant who apparently pays rent on time. At least you did not say they didn’t.

Why not have a conversation with them and find out how they feel about living in a mobile home. One that they could own.

If they will do this (it should keep their rent at levels they could afford, even if you have to stretch out the terms).

If they are willing, just buy a used mobile home (for less than $3,000) and let them buy it from you ($8,000 or so) . . . and carry the financing.

Brad

Check out http://www.leg.state.fl.us/ - Posted by FJW

Posted by FJW on April 22, 1999 at 19:27:59:

for the statutes and constitution. Good Luck.

FJW

Re: NO LEASE - NOW WHAT? (Short) - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on April 22, 1999 at 14:16:01:

Carmen,

Carol’s post below is correct. Make SURE that you provide notice legally. If the tenant is paying rent on the first of the month, a notice given on, say, May 15th, wouldn’t obligate the tenant to vacate on June 15th. Rather, the tenant gets to stay through the END OF June.

Just some clarification in hopes that you get possession as quickly as possible.

Bill K. (AZ)

Rent Control - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on April 22, 1999 at 10:12:15:

Well, if there is no rent control in your state then you can simply give them a 30-day notice to move. If you have rent control it gets trickier. Where I’m at to get some people to move you have to pay them $2,000 to $5,000 and have a legally permissible reason (such as occupying the unit yourself, or having one of your immediate family members do the same).

Re: NO LEASE - NOW WHAT? (Short) - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on April 22, 1999 at 24:52:34:

In my state I would give the tenant a 30-day notice to vacate. My guess would be that Florida is the same. If they don’t vacate you would initiate an eviction proceeding.

JPiper

I Like It! - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on April 22, 1999 at 22:56:56:

Brad,

I like your idea. That’s the kind of thought process that I hope to have one day. Just gotta keep spending time in here.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Bill K. (AZ)