no response on ads!!! - Posted by Rachel

Posted by WilliamGA on January 31, 2000 at 19:54:32:

Lee,

If you are referring to a computer program to create flyers, I use Microsoft Word, Works, and Printmaster Gold. With these I can make brochures on L/O that I sometimes send to prospects after our first phone conversation. I can also make flyers to attract sellers or buyers, business cards (although I have since gotten mine made at the printers) letterheads and all kinds of stuff to just look more professional.

And no, it really isn’t all that hard to keep up with if you are organized and develop a routine.

Good Luck!

WilliamGA

no response on ads!!! - Posted by Rachel

Posted by Rachel on January 30, 2000 at 21:19:09:

Hi Everybody,
I’m reading your messages lately and I’m trying to use your suggestions. I’ve been looking for properties and making offers, but looks like sellers weren’t motivated enough. I didn’t have any of my offers accepted. I decided to advertise in the paper, and I was all excited.I was sure my phone would be ringing off the hook. But I was really disappointed today. I didn’t get even one call. Maybe I didn’t advertise in the right place. I put my ad in the real estate section under houses for sale. It is the biggest section under real estate. There is a real estate wanted section, only once in a while when somebody advertises there which is rare. I advertised I buy houses…
any price, any area, any condition, quick closing. Can you offer advice on how to advertise to get better results?
Thanks to all of you for your input!!!
Rachel

Hi, are you the owner? - Posted by RR Smith

Posted by RR Smith on January 31, 2000 at 17:07:27:

Before I left Austin in 93 I went down the block (of duplexs in a good n’hood)and knocked on the door and did that door to door salesman thing. Complete with business card and precanned speal. My point is that good salesmanship does not wait for demand to develop, it FINDS THE DEMAND (usually before the customer knows it exists).

Forget the paper-there are better ways! - Posted by jack z.

Posted by jack z. on January 31, 2000 at 10:40:44:

Rachel,

Listen to William. Hear all that he’s doing? That’s what it takes. If you’re running an ad, and that’s all you’re doing, you won’t get much action. At least, not in these parts.

Rather than run an ad, which is expensive, and small, take the same amount of money, buy some coroplast signs, and post them in areas you want to buy and in busy areas. I promise you they’ll pull WAY more calls than any newspaper ad ever will. I’ve been spending some time of late putting up signs, and I’ve been getting 3-5 calls per day, just on signs alone. And in just 1/2 week of following up on those calls, I’ve got three or four "definite maybe"s for lease/options. Those are pretty good results. Now, when I get my act together, consistently track the foreclosures, consistently track expired listings, consistently track divorce notices, the number of calls will increase, and the deals will come. And they’ll come for you, too, but YOU’VE GOT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN! If all you’re doing is running some crummy ad (take it from one who’s been there-me!) forget it. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Now go get 'em!

Jack Z.

Re: no response on ads!!! - Posted by LAMARR

Posted by LAMARR on January 31, 2000 at 04:38:23:

Others have responded in telling you to hang in there and they are correct. Keep your ads in the paper. just like every thing else, it takes time for the law of average to pay you based on your efforts.You would want to also keep in mind that as you go in this buisisnes you will learn what works and what does not.(you"ll get a feel for it). I am a national broker and I seeA LOT. IN the future if you have any question feel free to e-mail me.I will try to help you as much as I can…“luck doesnt make it happen/ you do”!!!

SUPERBOWL BLUZ… - Posted by chris_wa

Posted by chris_wa on January 30, 2000 at 23:14:19:

rachael…

i am trying to sell a mobile. forgot it was superbowl weekend and near the first of the month. so my rent to own ad got zero calls and my fsbo ad got 2. usually i get 20-30 calls on a sunday.

i think you just picked a bad time…hang in there and give it another shot!

good luck
chris_wa

Re: no response on ads!!! - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on January 30, 2000 at 23:10:11:

Rachel,

When I first got started in REI, I placed an “I Buy Houses” ad in the paper too. For a long time it seemed like I only got a few calls per month. It takes more than an ad to generate many seller calls and it takes time too.

In addition to running an ad full time in the local paper, I know have 18 X 24 plastic signs up all over town, do mailouts to all foreclosures each month, mail postcards to all expired listings each month, am handing out business cards to everyone and leaving them everywhere. I also am starting to mailout to all FSBO’s in the paper and am producing some flyers to put on all available bulletin boards in grocery stores, WalMart, ect. With these things in place, I am starting to see as many as 5 or 6 seller calls a day, although the average is probably 1 or 2 per day.

As you can see, it takes alot of effort to generate those calls. Keep it up, persistance will pay off.

Good Luck!

WilliamGA

Yes…have patience… - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on January 30, 2000 at 21:34:55:

Some days I receive 8 calls some days 0 (zero)…have patience and keep implementing all your marketing systems.

Scott

Be careful of township ordinances prohibiting signs… - Posted by JohnB_NJ

Posted by JohnB_NJ on January 31, 2000 at 17:56:59:

… or you could be looking at a heavy fine…

How do I know. I was putting signs up in several towns and the code enforcer (these guys have nothing better to do then to break your balls…so to speak). I was getting call after call about my signs from the ENFORCER. OK, sure I got some good leads too… Oh, and the ENFORCER would tear down my $3 signs and trash them.

I was looking at a fine of $500/day/sign…yikes!!..
that would not be good.

Funny part about it is that come election day, every person running for office placed their signs everywhere. Of course the ordinance allows political signs. But that is not any surprise, they make the rules!

Now, I am going to rent a bill board on a main highway. I still place my biz cards and flyer everywhere I can.

Good luck and be careful with your signs…

-John

Re: Forget the paper-there are better ways! - Posted by Robjan

Posted by Robjan on January 31, 2000 at 13:39:32:

Where do you get the expired listings from? Are you purchasing the foreclosure info or going to courthouse?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Forget the paper-there are better ways! - Posted by MikeM

Posted by MikeM on January 31, 2000 at 11:00:15:

What do your signs say? Can you give us an example of exactly how your signs read?

Thanks!

Which computer program(s) do you use? - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on January 31, 2000 at 18:30:33:

Hi William

Man… you must be tired, that’s a lot to do, much less try to keep up with.

How DO you keep up with it all?

Which computer program do you use? You do use a program, don’t you…

Which programs have you used that didn’t work out for you?

Others folks sugestions are welcome too. (hint… HINT)

Thanks

Lee

Re: Be careful of township ordinances prohibiting signs… - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on January 31, 2000 at 20:16:43:

John-

I wonder if a workaround would be to put signs up Friday afternoon after the government pencilpushers have gone home and take them back down before they return to work Monday morning?

I had a problem with code enforcers when I would put up flyers where I got these type of calls also. Where do you put up your flyers that the enforcer is happy, but they are not with the signs?

-Thanks, Chris