Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 22, 2003 at 19:14:46:

n

Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 12:11:58:

I am locked out of a mobile I bought. All you pros surely know how to Enter without Breaking, nor a key.
Philip

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Al (Wi)

Posted by Al (Wi) on August 21, 2003 at 17:42:55:

I had the same problem from time to time when I owned an apartment building.
I learned this from a realtor who also had apartments.
You dont have the keys, so you will end up buying and installing a new lockset for the next occupant so… one solid hit -straignt down- with a hammer will break the knob on the lockset. I had to hit one twice. You can stand close enough to the door when you take your swing that the nosey nag next door will think you stubbed your toe when she hears the noise from the hammer. The building is on a busy street, I did this several times in the middle of the day, and no one noticed.
Just an idea that worked for me, but I like Doc’s a lot better. I wonder if it works on banks?

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Kyle-WY

Posted by Kyle-WY on August 21, 2003 at 14:16:40:

Philip,

If its an older home, that has an outward opening door, (most of the back doors are at least) and if there is no deadbolt or chain, then its pretty easy to use a flat blade screwdriver to push the latch open. Just be carfull not to bend the frame up while prying on it. You will be in no time.

Kyle

You called for a B& E expert …? - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on August 21, 2003 at 12:52:53:

Breaking and Entering Made Simple. Lesson 1

Don’t have a key? Just get an old fashioned bumper jack and place it horizontially in the door jamb with a little piece of rubber-backed carpeting under each end where it contacts the door jamp, to avoid leaving marks on the jamb. Works equally well for metal or wood door jambs. Then jack the jamb apart slowly until it bows about 1 inch in the middle. Then just blow lightly on door and it will pop open, because the bolt will pull out of its catch plate as the door jamb widens. No, this proceedure does not break anything. Be neighborly. Practice on your neighbor’s house first.

You can enter, do your dastardly deeds, and then reverse the procedure on your way out. 5 to 15 second operation. No marks. No evidence of entry (except the nosey lady across the street). No burgulary tools in your possession, only an old bumper jack. Heck, every cowboy carries a bumper jack for emergencies.

Any questions?

Regards, doc

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Mr. C

Posted by Mr. C on August 21, 2003 at 12:46:33:

Call a locksmith.

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 17:47:40:

I wondered about a hammer. I also came close to just cutting it off with a Sawz-All. I now have many more ideas. And they sound fun.
Thanks
Philip

Butter Knife - Posted by Tony-VA/NC

Posted by Tony-VA/NC on August 21, 2003 at 18:02:42:

Kyle is right. Something is simple as a butter knife and a sneeze and your in. It may mark the door frame a tab but if this is an older home, I can virtually guarantee you that it has been done before. You may already have a groove in the frame to guide your through this maiden voyage.

Don’t make it harder or more expensive than need be.

Tony

That sounds easy! thanks nt - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 17:00:38:

nt

Now were talkin’…thanks guys and - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 17:04:56:

doc, as usual you make an ordinary subject entertaining!
Philip

Get a Big Mac cupon and call doc… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on August 21, 2003 at 12:57:52:

…he is cheaper than a locksmith. Say, did I just call my own self cheap?

Can I also put in a plug for Doc’s Bail Bond Service?

:~)

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 12:49:30:

I was hoping for something tricky and unknown…but calling a locksmith will definetly work.
thank,
Philip

Speaking of not making it any harder… - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV

Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on August 22, 2003 at 16:13:53:

…even when the doors are locked you will often be able to find a window that isn’t.

THIMK

Regards, doc

Train 'em, and then Bail 'em out! nt - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 20:23:45:

!

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Sam Chevel

Posted by Sam Chevel on August 21, 2003 at 12:59:18:

A lot cheaper than a locksmith is to simply take your drill and drill out the old lock and then replace it with a new one that you actually have the keys to.

Tried that allready nt - Posted by Philip

Posted by Philip on August 22, 2003 at 19:20:06:

nt

Posted by Philip on August 21, 2003 at 17:02:21:

My son and I discussed that. Can you drill right down the keyhole with a cordless drill and a large bit? Or do you need to make more, smaller holes?
Philip

Re: Not Breaking and Entering - Posted by Chris Reuman (ME)

Posted by Chris Reuman (ME) on August 22, 2003 at 18:46:34:

You just get bit for drilling through metal and go right in the key hole. It works like a charm. Good luck.