Nothing is more constant than change.... - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on January 30, 2000 at 23:08:36:

Millie,

I know very little about this loan. It’s a new concept that is not that new.
In California, I helped an old friend do an asset switch with a Cal-vet loan, several
years ago. As soon as I learn more about this loan I’ll share it with the group.

There used to be a guru named Al Rotollo who taught asset trading over 15
years ago. At that time, Al taught you how to go to the bank and borrow money.
His next contact with the bank was to go to the bank and suggest that he collateralize
his loan with real-estate. Going from an unsecured loan to a secured loan.
Of course what bank would not welcome a move that would strengthen their loan.
So with out realizing what Al was doing, the bank welcomed the loans to find themselves
later at 100% financing. Creative financing is nothing new.

Al played it like a concerto. Al was masterful at working the banks, one of the best I’ve seen.
I didn’t mean to get side tract Millie, I’ll get back to you with the info as soon as I find out.

Ed Garcia

Nothing is more constant than change… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on January 30, 2000 at 15:19:18:

Nothing is more constant than change. As a matter of fact I have seen more
different loans in the last 6 years, then in the previous 24.

Something to Share.

Here is an article that I read this morning in the L. A. Times. So this information
is courtesy of the L.A. Times. I found it interesting, and thought I would share
it with you.

New Home Loan Will Expand and Shrink to Fit

By KENNETH R. HARNEY, Special to The Times

WASHINGTON–Get ready for the new mortgage, which is coming to
your neighborhood sooner than you might imagine. Your next mortgage could be:

• Completely portable and expandable. You’ll be able to move it from
    one house to another and increase its amount as your family grows,
    you change jobs or you move across the country.

• Equipped with its own built-in line of credit that you can use any time
    by simply writing a check.
    You won’t need to shop for a separate home equity loan anymore, nor will the credit
    line necessarily carry a higher rate than your main mortgage.

Automatically refinanceable whenever rates in the economy decline below your current
interest rate. In fact, you’ll never need to refinance. All you’ll need to do-assuming you
have a solid payment history–is e-mail the lender and request a rate cut.

Sounds like fantasy financing? It’s not. In fact, mortgages carrying two out of three of
these features–the built-in credit line and the rate-reduction concepts–could be on the
market before the end of this year.
Concepts like these are rumored to be under hush-hush development inside a handful of
large American mortgage-lending firms.

But now one of them–Calabasas-based Countrywide Home Loans, the
largest independent mortgage banker in the United States–says it hopes to bring the new
breed of mortgages to market in the not-too-distant future.

In an interview in early January, Countrywide’s managing director for loan origination,
Gregory A. Lumsden, disclosed that the first American mortgages with built-in credit lines
could be available before the end of 2000 and that the first portable home mortgages could
be available late next year
Rate Reductions and Built-in Credit Lines

The rate-reduction feature already is available. Countrywide rolled out the no-refi rate reduction
concept at the end of 1999. Known as the “eEasy” rate reduction plan, it allows borrowers to
e-mail or phone requests for cuts in their rates to prevailing market levels.

The next step will be the introduction of the home mortgage with abuilt-in credit line. It will
work like this:
Say you qualify for a $300,000 mortgage but you have no immediate need for that much money.

All you need is $220,000, but you wouldn’t mind having a convenient way to instantly raise
low-cost cash when you need to buy a car, fund a kid’s college expenses or pay for unexpected
medical or legal costs.
Under its forthcoming plan, Countrywide would provide the $220,000 (or whatever you need for
the house) in the form of a regular mortgage and include a flexible credit line that can expand up
to $80,000 on top of that.
Payments on the $220,000 would be at prevailing fixed-rate interest rates; payments on any
additional amounts you pull out via the credit line
would either be at a floating rate or at the same fixed rate as your main mortgage.

Lumsden says the goal is to weld the two types of credit into a single product–“all part of the
same deal”–with identical interest rates on both the credit line and main mortgage.

That in itself would be unprecedented, since equity credit lines typically are second mortgages,
involve higher risk to the lender and come with rates that are one to two percentage points higher
than first mortgages.
Rather than a first mortgage at 8% and a second mortgage at 9% or 10%, the new loan would carry
one rate at a prevailing market level–perhaps 8% on everything you borrow, up to a preset limit.
The ultimate mortgage, though, will combine the rate-reduction and credit-line features with a
concept that’s so radical that Countrywide thinks it will transform the entire mortgage marketplace: portability.

Mortgage Moves With You When You Sell The portable mortgage will go with you when you
sell and move. It will grow if you need it to. It will lower its rate when you request but never
increase it. It may save you thousands of dollars in closing costs over a period of years.

Theoretically, you won’t need a new mortgage–or a new mortgage lender–once you have a portable
loan that travels with you and eliminates the need to ever refinance. That’s precisely why Countrywide
is devoting substantial effort to its development.

Portability carries some inherent legal and financing complications, however.
The mortgage documents will have to allow substitutions of multiple properties as collateral for a succession of liens of different amounts.
Moreover, because most mortgages are packaged into bonds and sold to investors, the bonds will have
to be altered structurally to permit this.
But Lumsden is confident that portability is just over the horizon. And, combined with the rate-reduction and built-in credit-line concepts, “it’ll be hot.”

Distributed by the Washington Post Writers Group.

Ed Garcia

Amazing - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 31, 2000 at 10:08:33:

Ed,

Thank you for sending that our way. It is interesting to note that the more hi-tech we get, the more individualized we can tailor services. Anyone who read the Megatrends books of a few years ago wouldn’t be surprised. It is part of the customization of mass production which, though it sounds like an oxymoron, is precisely where the new technologies are leading us.

Thanks again for a great heads-up. I can already imagine some possibilities for the current loan I have on a rental house with Countrywide!

ray

Re: Nothing is more constant than change… - Posted by Millie I.

Posted by Millie I. on January 30, 2000 at 21:38:52:

Ed,

Very interesting. Can an investor use a portable mortgage to flip one house after another as long as the lender gets his monthly payment on time?

Millie I.