Odor under house/broken toilet pipe/dead roaches - Posted by Ann

Posted by Ann on February 18, 2002 at 18:36:31:

There is still an open area behind the cabinet under the kitchen sink; work to be done. It should be sealed, but the DW will be pulled and work done in the future. I don’t know if this area communicates with the area under the trap door to the sewer pipes, or not, but perhaps it does. It is still open–work in progress, house occupied.
I’m not blaming the plumber. Merely stating that we had to think about the smell, and then realized that, at about 2 wks, it could have been the roaches.

I’m still wanting to know what to put down there, if anyone has any ideas.

Odor under house/broken toilet pipe/dead roaches - Posted by Ann

Posted by Ann on February 18, 2002 at 11:38:19:

Had a leaking (burst) sewer pipe (10’ section replaced).
Toilet flushings were draining into the dirt (no basement)

What can be done about damp…questionable odor. Is there an odor elimantor that works like a bug bomb?

Also, prior to doing the work, the plumber put down a
room fogger under the house. About 2 weeks later, we noticed an odor, and thought, maybe it’s the rotting carcasses of roaches.

Any ideas on how to control odors under the house. We thought of lime, but the plumber said it would be bad on future plumbers going under the house.
Thanks,
Ann

Re: Odor under house/broken toilet pipe - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on February 18, 2002 at 16:42:10:

I can’t believe you’re still having a problem with odor…I’ve had leaks under houses on numerous occasions, the only times I recall ever having a problem like that were times when we had a “sealing” problem which allowed vapors to get into the house from the crawl space.

I suggest you look for places where you’re not sealed up. If you have a good seal, how can the odor get in?

Also, stop blaiming your poor plumber for creating smelly, stinky rotting roach flesh! Yes, they do make a smell when the’re dead. But the only good roach is a dead roach people. Come on. Seal it up, and get on down the road.