Offer 1st VS. looking at the property 1st - Posted by Dave(Mi)

Posted by Laure on April 04, 1999 at 23:47:28:

Realtors do what other realtors do. And they all want to show you the property. That’s what they are trained to do. Just insist, or find another realtor.

Laure :slight_smile:

Offer 1st VS. looking at the property 1st - Posted by Dave(Mi)

Posted by Dave(Mi) on April 04, 1999 at 11:47:18:

Does anyone have a response for the agent insisting that you see the property 1st, I know that I need to make alot of offers, but to look at every property 1st is very time consuming only to have the offer rejected.Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! This thing is really slowing my progress. thanks all Dave(Mi)

Realtors are under a “Duty”… but… - Posted by Scott Britton

Posted by Scott Britton on April 05, 1999 at 09:12:28:

Dave,

It’s helpful to remember that Realtors are under a duty to present all Offers. Period.

But… is the idea to get in a tussle with Realtors… or is the idea to have them bird dog property for you?

Maybe this property isn’t the right property. Maybe the owners need a retail sale. Maybe the Realtor is just doing his/her job. Who knows?

I think this is the perfect opportunity to win someone over to your side. Let the Realtor know what you are looking for. Let them know that you know not all of their listings fit this profile. Let them know that you are a real buyer… you don’t want to waste their time or chisle them on their commissions… but you would like for them to call you when they see something that fits your buying criteria.

In other words… don’t set up an adversarial relationship. Set up a mutuallly beneficial relationship. Then you can buy property for years and years… over and over again… from your Realtor contacts. And best of all… they will be calling you!

Best of Real Estate Success!

Scott Britton

Re: Offer 1st VS. looking at the property 1st - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on April 04, 1999 at 23:28:43:

Dave,
When I know a block or neighborhood real well I make offers without seeing the home. Of course when I do this I usually assume the worst case and offer low. I wait to see what kind of counter offers I get. If the counters are in the ballpark if the home needs less work I at that point take a look at the home and sharpen my pencil. Many times all I do is drive by. You can often tell a book by its cover, but it’s not always the case. I dont spend a lot of time looking at homes. Many times the most I ever do is look in the windows.
I just bought a home and sold it without ever seeing it. I never even drove by it and it is one of my best deals to date.

SCook85

Re: Offer 1st VS. looking at the property 1st - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on April 08, 1999 at 04:13:25:

Hi Steve,

When you say you assume the worst, do you estimate the costs of leveling, re-roofing, wiring, floor coverings, new kitchen and baths, etc. for that particular size home? OR do you have a $$ figure that represents a worst case sinario, like “in that neighborhood, most houses in real bad shape need 20k worth of repairs”?

I have found that estimating repairs has become my worst enemy, any input you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Brandi_TX

Re: Offer 1st VS. looking at the property 1st - Posted by Brandi_TX

Posted by Brandi_TX on April 05, 1999 at 20:30:40:

Hi Steve,

When you say you assume the worst, do you estimate the costs of leveling, re-roofing, wiring, floor coverings, new kitchen and baths, etc. for that particular size home? OR do you have a $$ figure that represents a worst case sinario, like “in that neighborhood, most houses in real bad shape need 20k worth of repairs”?

I have found that estimating repairs has become my worst enemy, any input you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
Brandi_TX

PS Congratulations on the Blue Vase Award! From all I have read about you and by you, it sounds like it was well earned!