Ohio Investment - Posted by Scared New Yorker

Posted by James - Michigan Investor on December 31, 2007 at 12:38:48:

SNYker,

Ohio has some good properties to invest in. When handling properties out of your area (2hrs+), the
best advice is to find a property manager tha can handle everything you need, on time. You’ll need to
develope your ‘team’:

1. Prop Manager,
  2. Rehabber/contractor(s) for general repair
  3. Realtor/broker who’s experienced with the area making sure you don’t buy something that doesn’t make sense.

I’m sure there are others and I know there’s a few here who invest out of their own state. Rich-Ca and Jimmy (TX?) are a couple. There’s many more who do this, so I’ll let them chime in with thoughts.
Investing out of state is a great way to take advantage of cheap properties and bad times…please
go and visit where you are investing though. That’s always helpful.

James

Ohio Investment - Posted by Scared New Yorker

Posted by Scared New Yorker on December 30, 2007 at 20:21:37:

Anyone with investment properties in Ohio?

I’m looking to invest in OH, and still in research mode…anyone with properties in OH, any advise? Do landlords have to register with the city/state/county to accept section 8 vouchers or the like? What are your thoughts on section 8 vouchers?

Also, what are your thoughts on long-distance landlords/property management/investment?

Re: Ohio Investment - Posted by Chyna

Posted by Chyna on January 01, 2008 at 06:14:03:

I’m also in NYC and have been buying doubles for the past couple of years in Indianapolis which are cash flowing very well. The wild price fluctuations that we’re used to in NY don’t exist in the midwest and I’ve found that if you buy in the right neighborhoods for a good price, the appreciation can be fairly good even in a down market. I stick with doubles because tenants in doubles in Indy pay their own heat, lawn maintenance, snow shoveling, etc. All the landlord is responsible for is taxes and repairs.

I’ve had two property management companies and fired both of them because they both dragged their feet in arranging for repairs and finding new tenants. I’ve had good luck working with an individual person who I pay by the hour to show units to prospective tenants and to handle things I can’t handle from NY. This person was referred by one of my real estate agents and it has worked out very well.

I have an electrician, plumber, handyman, etc who I contact when one of my tenants calls me about a problem. I’ve found that they go out right away (unlike NY) and are honest and good to work with. They bill me and I send them a check. The properties I own, tho, generally don’t need any work except if something breaks down. The guy I work with by the hour will go out if anything needs to be checked out before a tradesman is called.

If you decide to use a management firm, get references from other out of area landlords if you can.

I’m just about to rent to my first Section 8 tenant, a lovely middle aged woman who is disabled and lives with her adult son. Section 8 is giving me about $150/month more than a non-subsidized tenant and there’s some red tape to wade through but not much. If you’re considering Section 8, make sure that the demand for these rentals is greater than the supply so you don’t have vacancy issues.

I’ve found this whole experience (investing so many miles from my home) to be a lot easier than I had imagined. I think the single most important thing to consider is the vacancy rate in the area you’re buying in. If there are a lot of vacant units for rent and if they stay vacant for a long time you need to look elsewhere. Sometimes a deal looks really good on paper but if you can’t keep the property rented, you’ll lose your cash flow. A case in point…there was a renovated double in a “transitioning” (but safe)neighborhood in Indy that I could have picked up for about $80K, 3 bedrooms each unit, taxes about $1,400 a year, tenants pay all utilities. Total rent was $1,500/month ($750 a side). To me, that seemed like decent cash flow, especially since the property needed no work. But because of the neighborhood, I decided not to buy because there were so many vacant units near there.

It’s been my experience that owning duplexes in nice areas where there’s a demand for rentals has worked out best. I have one property that rents even before the current tenants move out but that’s in a trendy city neighborhood. I have another where the units stay vacant for several weeks because the neighborhood isn’t so good.

Best of luck,
Chyna

Re: Ohio Investment - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on December 31, 2007 at 23:00:11:

No reason to be scared. Do your homework and the “fear” will turn to anticipation of a new adventure. I use a number of steps when investing out of state.

(1) Research the metro areas. I know others who specialize or prefer smaller communities, but I tend to like at least 250,000 people in the metro area, preferable half a million. Get to know the breakdown of jobs, income levels, crime, basically where the area appears to be headed and what parts are better or worse than others.
(2) Start finding people to interview who will be your proxies on site. I usually start with RE agents. I have an interview sheet that I fill out on each one. I use HomeGain.com to post my requirements and then read the replies from agents. Some will not read your post and ‘welcome you to your new home’. Make it clear that you are looking for an agent who is also an investor, who looks for the kinds of things in a property you would (describe these) because they will be your pre-screening and go to person for buying and selling properties. I interview all of the ones who reply meeting the requirements I post.
(3) During the interview I ask for referrals for Property Managers, contractors and so on. A person is known by the quality of the company they keep. I also have interview sheets for these areas as well.
(4) Have the agents start sending you listings that match your stated requirements. One test is how close what they choose matches what you are actually looking for. You may be unclear but a good agent can explain what adjustments they made and why.
(5) Narrow the agent list and PM list down to 3 of each.
(6) Fly to the area. Spend at least 3 days. Look at houses. Do face to face interviews. Get a feel for the community. For PMs, check their records and see what kinds of documentation and procedures they use. Drive through the target neighborhoods. Drive through the really bad and really nice areas as well. Are the target areas bordered by the really bad areas? Has the “bad” area been expanding into the target area? Ask these questions.
(7) Rank the agents and PMs as 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Don’t forget personality fit. The agent representing an out of state investor does more legwork than one who works for someone who can go look at stuff themselves and you need someone who will be timely, takes good pictures you can get a solid idea of the property from, and works with your personality.

Expect to make a couple of trips. Once to get the team in order and again when you are ready to buy. Yes, they can send pictures, but there is nothing like a hands on look to make sure you are successfully communicating.

I have been doing the long distance thing for 4 years now. I PREFER local, self managed properties. For one thing, the PM fee slides back into my column and I am more on the ball than any PM can be if they are to make enough to live on (they take on enough properties to pay the bills and you can get significant delays in response time). However, the purpose is to make money, so my preference has to be weighed against what will accomplish the goal.

Section 8 - depends on the circumstances and the reasoning of my PM. Some love it (in some areas the housing department is on the ball) and some hate it (in areas where the government is anti-landlord, you can find yourself held hostage to idiots).

Re: Ohio Investment - Posted by gs

Posted by gs on December 31, 2007 at 19:49:27:

Ohio is great for investment properties if you are interested in making
money. If you are looking for a glamorous investment, then Ohio is
not the place for you.

Sec 8 is very profitable as well. Yes you must register.

I am relocating down south but plan to continue my investing in Ohio.
I have a business partner here that has a rehab crew and property
management company set up to handle my investments.

Feel free to send me an email. I can get you more information.

You must be careful in Ohio. The major cities are the only real places
to invest. Those cities are able to hold their value. Out laying area’s
are very cheap but have no value.

Case in point.

Looked at a house for $1,500.00. After crunching the numbers, the
area was so undervalued that they would have given me $7,500.00 to
make the deal profitable

Good luck and do your homework.

Re: Ohio Investment - Posted by randyOH

Posted by randyOH on December 31, 2007 at 14:00:55:

Sent you a PM. Check your email.